Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkening leather jacket

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,
I own a black Freewheelers brakeman that I’ve already piled with pecards; however, I am wondering, is there a way to darken the leather either by myself or sending it in to a leather jacket repair shop? Thanks for your assistance

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
If its already black, why are you trying to darken the leather? How much more black can it be - none more black? ALso I would recommend going easy on the conditioners - it is not too difficult to ruin a leather jacket by slathering too much stuff on it.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I think they make Urad with black tint. I don't think untinted Urad will darken your black jacket enough. Also Pecards makes a black tinted product. Specifically for black motorcycle jackets that got lighter from riding.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Is your "black" leather actually a brown-base teacore?

Just asking as if that's the case, then the leather is behaving "as intended" and any attempt to alter it may yield quite negative results.

That said, several othes here have dyed brown leather into black, although those jackets were always brown prior.

joezam713

One of the Regulars
I think they make Urad with black tint. I don't think untinted Urad will darken your black jacket enough. Also Pecards makes a black tinted product. Specifically for black motorcycle jackets that got lighter from riding.
Oh, that’s perfect. Thank you

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
freewheelers is definitely a choice to do major permanent & amateur alterations on a jacket...

The tinted conditioners will be fine (they are not dyes and are used on shoes much more expensive than our jackets) but if he plays around with actual dye this could go very poorly.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you want to turn your Black Jack FW into Rude Black you will need some professional help to strip back everything you've got on it already and apply three coats of new finishing on it, first black dye, then black acrylic pigment, then some clear finishing coat. You can also do this at home but it's best you practice on some cheaper jackets first to get the hang of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123