Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-Pocket leather jackets

zhz

Practically Family
Yeah. I'll stop wear MC jackets while not being a biker around about the same time I stop wearing Irivns, A2s et cetera when I'm not a pilot. (Or, come to think of it, forties and fifties styles when I don't like in the forties and fifties.)

Yes, I think you guys are right, why would I care about the ride...

Love the "cosplay" comment... lol I suspect if I ever live somewhere with roads safe enough that I'll consider a bike, I'd stick with something oldschool in leather and/or an armoured waxed-cotton affair. Just can't reconcile myself to these nylon wonders, no matter how 'safe' they are.... Mn.
Roads safe enough for a motorcycle? No such thing, unfortunately. But yes, I too find those textile/nylon things quite unbearable to wear. There is also an in-between option, leather with armour, but even that doesn't seem to fit the whole classic Americana thing I'm cosplaying as. :D They're not all useless, though. Leather jackets, I mean. When I took a spill wearing one, I have to admit it did very well at saving my skin. The jacket was completely ruined, though...

weirdly, on my 618 Perfecto they're too far back to get at when I'm wearing it.....
Yep, but they're just like on Strabler's jacket and that's always a good thing! :)

Still can't get over the beauty of DD's Buco. I wonder why's there only one pillion pocket, though?

Edward

Bartender
I suspect that's not a pillion pocket, but a map pocket. There's one of the Lewis models puts this in my mind as a possibility - At least I think it was a Lewis, but I can't find the model now.... two entry pockets at the back, about the same place as pillion pockets except instead of separate bags facing forwards, there was one tunnel pocket along the back with a double entry. Might be a single-entry version of that idea? Or possibly just the handwarmer on that side, visible theway the jacket is folded on the rear shot?

Huh..! That's actually pretty clever! Map pocket makes sense. By the way, Aero doesn't use pocket bags on their pillion pockets. You can see the inside of the jacket through them and while I don't remember which thread was it that discussed bi-swing back, yes, there's an elastic band across the back, keeping the two folds in place.

IXL

One Too Many
Leather jackets intended for motoring are excellent for protection from the elements, which is what they were designed for, and have many rider-friendly features. And.......they have STYLE!!! :D:D:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

And yes, if I were to experience a slide at around 30mph, the armor would then be pretty groovy to have. But, if a semi runs a stop sign and broadsides me at 70mph, it won't matter much.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:
Edward was right, then. Got it. Thanks Blackadder! :) But what about the Buco with side laces? Does it exist?

Until 10 years ago..I collected Buco D-pockets...or I should say purchased 6 or 8 and resold trying to find a good fit. Never saw a Buco model with side laces. Not saying they didn't exist..but I did research Bucos pretty well back in the day.
HD

HD, gotcha. Could've been something else I saw then, possibly a one off from RM as it was just one single picture of it, but I remember it as a Buco for some reason. It certainly was exactly the same, except for side laces. I recall wondering when did exactly side laces appear on MC jackets.

Edward

Bartender
I've long associated them with the eighties, but never looked into it because I don't like side laces. Much like tassles. Ugh.

Blackadder

HD, gotcha. Could've been something else I saw then, possibly a one off from RM as it was just one single picture of it, but I remember it as a Buco for some reason. It certainly was exactly the same, except for side laces. I recall wondering when did exactly side laces appear on MC jackets.
RM did make a Buco "J-22" with laces some years ago. You can occasionally find an used one on Yahoo Auction JP. Don't know if it is base on an actual pattern or not. Incidentally, there is one original Buco J-21 or J-22 with single map pocket on ebay now.

Last edited:
Blackadder - Yes! It exists!

buco-j82-back.jpg

http://www.kellysurf.net/kellyhb/2009/02/post-5.php
Thank you!

Yeah, I wonder if Buco actually ever did these. Edward, I'm not a big fan of side laces but this does look cool!

Argh, I wish there was a translator that actually made any sense out of Asian languages - so this isn't based on an actual Buco jacket?

Blackadder

Argh, I wish there was a translator that actually made any sense out of Asian languages - so this isn't based on an actual Buco jacket?
Doubt it is a repro of an actual Buco. That site does not contain any info on the jacket other than that it is called J-82 by RM.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ok pop quiz, and just so you know I don't know the answer :D ;)

What's the difference between a J-21 and a J-22? Map pocket, puller types, something else??

Blackadder

Ok pop quiz, and just so you know I don't know the answer :D ;)

What's the difference between a J-21 and a J-22? Map pocket, puller types, something else??
Just bought this book which might shed some lights to your question.
IMG-20141016-WA0018.jpg
J-21
IMG-20141016-WA0014.jpg
notice the position of the D pocket and the belt loop?
IMG-20141016-WA0016.jpg
However, the J-21 in this below link does not have the same D pocket configuration.
http://eijucraft.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/12/buco-j-21-proto.html
The author of that link states that the J-21 has a teardrop? epaulet which is different from J-22.
1012185.jpg

J-21 Epaulet(from ebay)
$T2eC16FHJF4FFkYh7C,zBSJ4kVG1kQ~~60_57.JPG

J-22 epaulet(from ebay)
$_57.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe