Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

With all of the BS around this site, not a bad call, B.

Every time you post some of your Stewart’s, I think of the history associated with them.

I grabbed a pair of “Hollywood” boots sometime ago. Just for the shelf.
1708643490018.jpeg

1708643546654.jpeg

Some years back, toward the end of Stewart’s run, I think, they did a remake of the boot James Dean wore in Giant for a company called the Phoenix Project. I always thought it was a good looking boot.
1708644406568.png

Edward

Bartender
If they fit when you've got them on, then I'd say go with it. They will stretch out over time and you don't want them flopping around too loose on your foot. In the meantime, get yourself a boot jack to make it easier getting them off. You can get a plain wooden one for pretty cheap, or go down the rabbit hole of vintage ones. Usually cast iron, you can find steer heads, giant bugs, saucy ladies with their legs in the air....the possibilities are endless..
View attachment 593184 View attachment 593185 View attachment 593186

I would repeat the advice you've already received. If they fit well while they're on, I'd stick with that size. There's few things worse than trying to walk around in sloppy-fitting pull-on boots. Boot jacks to get them off, at least for now, and a long shoe horn (the long style made for physically disabled folks or those recovering from hip or knee surgery) will help get them on. In time, you won't need the shoehorn, but you may want to keep the boot jack.

Good luck!

Thanks, gents. I'll try them on again this evening (they're in my office, I'll be there again later), without socks this time and see - I think that will give me a good line of comparison with the Chips too. I have my eye on another pair in a different model, but will hold back til I see how I go with these. These have the wide, square toe while the others are a mid-width toe, so might mean going up a size in them. Footwear is tricky that way - can take a while to figure it out, and an expensive learning experience. Advice much appreciated and really helpful - thanks!

Found these at a flea market in Licking, Missouri (pop. 3,500) for $30.00. Paul Bond’s from 2002 — I think they are calf and shark (I’ll defer to the leather experts). Six rows of stitching. Too small for me unfortunately. The original owner is 96 (I didn’t find an obit).

View attachment 598275

View attachment 598276

View attachment 598277

View attachment 598278

View attachment 598279

View attachment 598280

View attachment 598281

View attachment 598282
Interesting color combo. Shark on the collars and counters.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just picked these D W Frommer boots from eBay. The boots do not fit at the instep where it,s so tight I can not get the left boot on. I working with an instep stretcher and hair dryer and have ordered leather stretcher spray. I injured my left ankle in a motorcycle accident when a car turn in front of e froa stop sign. MY left ankle is swollen and does not straighten completely. I broke my left foot at the insept during a high side.
I can not get the images to load wrong format so here is the link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/296437917757

I just picked these D W Frommer boots from eBay. The boots do not fit at the instep where it,s so tight I can not get the left boot on. I working with an instep stretcher and hair dryer and have ordered leather stretcher spray. I injured my left ankle in a motorcycle accident when a car turn in front of e froa stop sign. MY left ankle is swollen and does not straighten completely. I broke my left foot at the insept during a high side.
I can not get the images to load wrong format so here is the link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/296437917757
Jon, those are beautiful. I wish you luck in stretching them. D. W. crimped his vamps before construction taking a lot of stretch out of the leather and ostrich can be tough to stretch anyway. In lieu of stretching spray you can make your own from a 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. Get them good and damp. Go slow. When they're ready to try on again a little food grade silicone spray can help with easing them on.

I ran across one of Judi Buie's obits this morning and that sent me off on a search for some of her boots. I know that a couple of my boot books have some info on her and a pic or two. Online, I have only located one pair and that's being worn by Meryl Streep. There are a number of pics of her wearing these boots in different settings. Since Buie brought cowboy boots to NYC before Ralph, I thought there might be a few more pics out there. Buie's boots were made by TL. Maybe others but I don't know.
1719843268201.png

A few that caught my eye on IG over the last couple months:
Those are some great ones Ross. I was poking around on Tres Outlaws site yesterday. I'm always fascinated by the number of designs they put out. They make a great boot as well. Never heard of saboteusebespoke but she makes a good looking boot, though philosophically we might clash. I spent some time on her page and website looking for who she may have learned from and found she apprenticed under Jimmy Luke Covington. He was a MA boot maker who moved to Elizabeth CO several years ago. He made some beautiful boots. I really like the toe and heel of her boots along with the overall profile. These caught my eye.

1720711214812.png

Those Lisa Sorrell boots were made as part of a raffle in support of a Blugrass organisation. I hope my $20 is spent well. They are a copy of a design she originally made for one of the Malpas Bros. The originals were inspired by the Louvin Bros. album cover of Satan is Real.
1720711607064.png

1720711725632.png

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Thanks for the thoughts and research BB. It’s always good to hear your perspective, I’m still at the novice level of boots but I’m putting some time into them.

You’re welcome. I’ve been following some of these makers since the long defunct Custom Cowboy Boots and Shoes Forum was a thing. Lisa Sorrel is one of those. Find some of the boots she’s made for Arnold.

Last edited:
tresoutlawsbootco

Ive always been unclear on the connection between Tres Outlaw & Falconhead. When I bought my pair of Tres Outlaw boots in the early 1990’s I was made to believe the two boot makers were best of friends but separate companies; that their boots were similar in construction & style, but Tres Outlaws were known for their stitch work while Falconhead was known more for their inlay & overlay work. When they merged, one bought the other out, etc I’m unsure of.

Ive always been unclear on the connection between Tres Outlaw & Falconhead.
This caused me to drag out some books this morning and to do some website looking as well. I've never understood the relationship either or if they were just one in the same. When Art of the Boot was published in 1999, Beard wrote that in 1980, Scott Emmerich, who was not a boot maker, started contracting companies in El Paso to make his designs which he sold to retailers up and down the CA coast. In 1983 he opened the retail store Falconhead in LA. In 1994 he took on partners and that's when the Tres Outlaw Boot Co. was formed. There are separate websites for Tres Outlaw and Falconhead. It seems today that Tres Outlaw are OTR boots though those boots can be MTM as well and Falconhead is where the over the top custom work is sold. The Tre Outlaw site makes no mention of Falconhead that I could find but the Falconhead header says The Tre Outlaw Boot Company.

This caused me to drag out some books this morning and to do some website looking as well. I've never understood the relationship either or if they were just one in the same. When Art of the Boot was published in 1999, Beard wrote that in 1980, Scott Emmerich, who was not a boot maker, started contracting companies in El Paso to make his designs which he sold to retailers up and down the CA coast. In 1983 he opened the retail store Falconhead in LA. In 1994 he took on partners and that's when the Tres Outlaw Boot Co. was formed. There are separate websites for Tres Outlaw and Falconhead. It seems today that Tres Outlaw are OTR boots though those boots can be MTM as well and Falconhead is where the over the top custom work is sold. The Tre Outlaw site makes no mention of Falconhead that I could find but the Falconhead header says The Tre Outlaw Boot Company.
I would take what Tyler Beard wrote as accurate then. Thanks for taking the time to review all that, BB. It’s interesting because the lines of his boots are nothing like the typical flat arched & wide Valley boot. My pair has to be a very early pair & I’m left to wonder if they were made under contract or in-house with his own boot makers? My memory tells me I was there a yr or two before 1994, but maybe not. I’ll have to think on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeLSA