Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Weather Parka

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3040.jpg
IMG_3046.jpg
IMG_3050.jpg
It snowed here today so put on my modern Tanker jacket which was cold, it was -6 degrees farenheit. So I remembered I bought a Parka, Extreme Cold Weather Type N-3B Jacket at our local Disabled Veterans Store, I paid $8.00 for it. By the time I scooped my drive and side walk, plus my neighbours, I was sweating, I changed to a tshirt once inside. Best $8.00 I ever spent. The jacket came from the estate of a man stationed at Ent Air Force base Colorado Springs, Colorado, unfortunately by the time I made it to DAV, all the best items from this mans collection was gone! Still, a nice early cold war jacket!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to have one of those when I was stationed at the Air Force Academy. The only time I ever got cold in it, the wind chill factor was 40 below zero F.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I want a WW2 era B-11, with the alpaca liner.
4161526699_cbd72e5c14_o.jpg

These - along with the companion A-10 flight trouser - were sized extra big to go over the B-10 jacket and A-9 trou, made of the same stuff but cuffed at the extremities.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Parka

Fletch said:
I want a WW2 era B-11, with the alpaca liner.
4161526699_cbd72e5c14_o.jpg

These - along with the companion A-10 flight trouser - were sized extra big to go over the B-10 jacket and A-9 trou, made of the same stuff but cuffed at the extremities.
They do run large. When you put the hood up and zip it mostly all the way up, you fill like your mommy dressed you! Love to find a WWII version!

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Great find! I wore an N-3B all through high school almost 40 years ago. It was a great warm coat. It's 15 degrees here in Chicago and I just switched into my Eddie Bauer Expedition Parka that's over 25 years old! Still a quality garment, much better than is made today!

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I have the very same Eddie Bauer parka that must be about that old. I wonder if it is still available,especially with the real fur around the hood?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
WWII Parka

IMG_3052.jpg
IMG_3054.jpg
Can any one tell me which model parka this is? I know it is U.S. but thats all. The only markings I can find are two M for medium! I found it while I was looking in the basement closet, which I have not been in for years. I got it from a friend who flew B-17s out of England.

edunn

New in Town
Stearmen said:
IMG_3052.jpg
IMG_3054.jpg
Can any one tell me which model parka this is? I know it is U.S. but thats all. The only markings I can find are two M for medium! I found it while I was looking in the basement closet, which I have not been in for years. I got it from a friend who flew B-17s out of England.

It appears to be the M-43 or possibly the M-47. Not much difference, but in 47 a diff. material was used in the pile liner. If the liner is removable, it it attached, sewn in it is the M-41. this pattern was used until 1949, when the M-50 was introduced. IT resembled the modern M65, only with shoulder epulates and attached hood.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thanks

edunn said:
It appears to be the M-43 or possibly the M-47. Not much difference, but in 47 a diff. material was used in the pile liner. If the liner is removable, it it attached, sewn in it is the M-41. this pattern was used until 1949, when the M-50 was introduced. IT resembled the modern M65, only with shoulder epulates and attached hood.
Thanks, I almost deleted the photos since no one responded! It is the snap in liner, probably the M-47, he was stationed in Alaska after Korea.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Call that a parka ??????????

This is a PARKA .........

IMG_1876.jpg

'Course it doesn't get a lot of use now as I'm in the UK for the time being. Although down is always a suprise to how wide the range of comfort can be. The thickness of the insulation means that you don't sweat the way you do with closer fitting and layered type insulation setups.

Dave

............. typical :rolleyes:

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I got an '80s N3B from eBay a month or so ago. I expect to wear it next winter when I'm out plowing snow and such. I sure like those Canada Goose parkas,though, and I'll probably bite the bullet and get one by next winter,too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe