Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clinking glasses

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I was talking wine, when I said always hold on the stem.
Holding around the glass is considered rather bad taste. Around here, that is.
Allthough you see many people doing it. Even royalties:eek:
As far as I remember it has something to do with keeping the right the temperature of the wine. Plus it doesn't leave greasy fingerprints at the glass. Doesn't look good at the end of the meal.;)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I'm aware of the traditional way of holding one's glass at the stem, but I take the liberty to hold it at the bowl anyway, unless I have to clink. If somebody regards this to be vulgar simply by the book, I can't do anything, of course, but apart from that it depends on how you hold it exactly and how you behave in general.

Not only can you obviously hold a glass at the stem and still look vulgar, but I don't like the other side of the pendulum either - too posh and as if playing a rôle.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
I was talking wine, when I said always hold on the stem.
Holding around the glass is considered rather bad taste. Around here, that is.
Allthough you see many people doing it. Even royalties:eek:
As far as I remember it has something to do with keeping the right the temperature of the wine. Plus it doesn't leave greasy fingerprints at the glass. Doesn't look good at the end of the meal.;)

Off Topic : I watched Conan last night and there was a chef preparing a meal, where they had white wine to it, and Conan ended up holding his wineglass with a giant pair of steaktweezers (thats barbeque tongs apparently).. great way to not get fingerprints on the glass plus it will certainly entertain the guests, I know I laughed my behind off..

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I'm aware of the traditional way of holding one's glass at the stem, but I take the liberty to hold it at the bowl anyway, unless I have to clink. If somebody regards this to be vulgar simply by the book, I can't do anything, of course, but apart from that it depends on how you hold it exactly and how you behave in general.

Not only can you obviously hold a glass at the stem and still look vulgar, but I don't like the other side of the pendulum either - too posh and as if playing a rôle.

Let the truth be told: I sometimes also forgets my good manners and hold the glass around the bowl...especially after three, four toasts!;)

PSK123

A-List Customer
You're right Spitfire, I do believe it originates from the idea of not warming ones drink through body heat around the bowl of the glass. Although sometimes it can be looked favourably upon if drinking a certain type of fortified wine...of which I can't remember the name...its not port though :eek:

As you say though, fingerprints over a glass is never a good luck either lol...although barbeque tongues is perhaps a bit OTT :D

The worst I've seen was somebody holding a wine glass like a beaker lol

How I cringed:D

Phil (drinks too much wine)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I was told once by a sommelier that the holding of the glass by the stem did originate from not wanting to warm the wine but that this was only originally applicable to wines which are served chilled, so the vast majority being whites. Originally he was saying red wine (those served at room temperature) was often held by the bowl due to a certain small amount of warmth being conducive to the (apparently desirable) release of oils. He went on to say holding the stem is a good thing for whites but has become a common (but for no real useful reason) affectation with reds.

As he rather amusingly put it, if you are one of those who drink it quickly, it really doesn't matter how you hold the glass!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"As he rather amusingly put it, if you are one of those who drink it quickly, it really doesn't matter how you hold the glass!"

Smithy - that last remark explains everything!lol lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
..." He went on to say holding the stem is a good thing for whites but has become a common (but for no real useful reason) affectation with reds."

Which in my mind would be sufficient reason to stick with reds..lol

Honestly, I have tried holding my glass by the stem, but i am far too klutzy.i like to have a firm hold on that glass, .. and i am sure most people would prefer this over spilling wine on their carpet...or in the case of one poor fellow..their nice grey suit:eek:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the small neighborhood of exotic Los Angeles whence I originate, we all hold the glass between the fourth and fifth shirt button, pivot on the right heel, then land on the ball of the left foot, look at the person with whom we are toasting, then perform a pas de deux while chanting an ancient rhyme in Sanskrit. The liquid is quaffed, then a Yiddish proverb emerges (although only 18% of the neighborhood is Jewish, and all those are Ethiopian Jews who know no Yiddish). Finally, both hands are raised in the air and the chest-bumps with all the males occurs. Females and males never look at each other in the face. Three quick sips follow, and wishes for the next decade are pronounced.

I cannot STAND the gauche swine who do not perform a toast properly in this fashion.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
In the small neighborhood of exotic Los Angeles whence I originate, we all hold the glass between the fourth and fifth shirt button, pivot on the right heel, then land on the ball of the left foot, look at the person with whom we are toasting, then perform a pas de deux while chanting an ancient rhyme in Sanskrit. The liquid is quaffed, then a Yiddish proverb emerges (although only 18% of the neighborhood is Jewish, and all those are Ethiopian Jews who know no Yiddish). Finally, both hands are raised in the air and the chest-bumps with all the males occurs. Females and males never look at each other in the face. Three quick sips follow, and wishes for the next decade are pronounced.

I cannot STAND the gauche swine who do not perform a toast properly in this fashion.
So you're saying no clink? That's good.

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
It is almost like the general public was absent the times that "social graces' were being taught! I often sit, watch,and reflect on how amazing it is that people do not know how to behave in many many situations...sad.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
So you're saying no clink? That's good.

There is also the variant in which all females present dance a version of the polka but to a Schubert lied and clink glasses, break them, engage in a mock knifefight with the shards, and then drink Ovaltine instead of wine. But that version is done only on alternate Tuesdays.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
There is also the variant in which all females present dance a version of the polka but to a Schubert lied and clink glasses, break them, engage in a mock knifefight with the shards, and then drink Ovaltine instead of wine. But that version is done only on alternate Tuesdays.
Oh, hey. Give me a buzz next time you're planning to do that one.
Maybe this could spin off a thread on the proper grooming of milk mustaches.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Well, Spike Jones liked to clink 'em…

Clink, clink, another drink
Plenty in the cellar when it's gone.
Drink, drink, the glasses clink
Making tinkly music till the dawn is breaking.

Clang, clang, who cares a dang?
What's the difference when you're on a spree?
Over the teeth, behind the gums,
Look out stomach here she comes
Hi! Have another drink on me.

Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.
Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.

Trinkle, trinkle, trinkle, trinkle.
Slice of cheese and bite of pickle
Doesn't even cost a nickel
Now to wash it down.

Clink, clink, no more to drink
I had a cellar full, but now its gone.
Drink, drink, the glasses clink
Like the anvil chorus and my head is splitting,
uh, brinking, uh, busting. Oh brother!

Oh, ow, what'll I do now
Pink elephants running after me.
Oh, that stuff is smooth as silk
From now on I'll stick to milk.
Nothing else to drink for me.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A viking toast!

While we are at different kinds of toasts.

It has been said, that the word used in Denmark when toasting: "SKÅL" (pronounced: skoal) origins from the viking age.

Back then the true vikings drank mjød (beer) from the top of the skull(skoal) from their dead enemies.:eek:
Whether they clinked, has dissapeared in the fog of time.

Skål!:beer:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Actually at the end of the day who cares.

I've been to some very rowdy, boozy bashes where glasses were clinked, clanked and clonked together, others where you just raise the glass. I don't mind two hoots, it all depends on the crowd and atmosphere. I certainly won't be mortified if someone at a do wants to bang glasses with me or not. Each to their own.

And Spitty, mjød is mead, even heftier and more potent than beer. Gives you a hell of a hangover. I would imagine that true Vikings would've enthusiastically cracked skulls together, no pussy-footing round or pinkies in the air with that lot :cheers1:

donCarlos

Practically Family
I learned just three or four weeks ago that the clinking is proper only for three and less people. However, when you´re sitting in a pub, you don´t have the first beer and ten other people absolutely need to clink with you, how can you reject it? :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe