Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese leather jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
@KBlake

I knew I remember seeing this jacket before for less. From Curphey. Another copy brand on Aliexpress. But this one is much less ($178) and has those proper button holes,

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805865261797.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller.3.54d8757eQumPgX&gps-id=pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.40050.354490.0&scm_id=1007.40050.354490.0&scm-url=1007.40050.354490.0&pvid=e61e1ce6-c9d2-42ba-af3c-49420b36edd3&_t=gps-id:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.40050.354490.0,pvid:e61e1ce6-c9d2-42ba-af3c-49420b36edd3,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8113#1998&isseo=y&pdp_npi=4@dis!CAD!2473.41!245.95!!!12889.06!1281.67!@210318ef17208150460911108ed60e!12000035503801376!rec!CA!!AB&utparam-url=scene:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller|query_from:&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Don't expect brand name leather, top grain leather at best, but the jacket is decent, I've bought many of these before at around the same time of my 5* jackets. Constructions are about equal, but Chinese jackets are stock jackets and 5* was made to order. Chinese jackets were actually less money than 5* then too, but no custom sizing and their sleeves tend to run short, nape sleeve length was 34.5" at best. Not sureif they had any pattern updates now.

View attachment 626552

I still think if you are ok with used jackets the premium brands on the 2nd hand market can be had as little as $400 and they'll come with much much better leather. Construction isn't lightyears better but the leather is night and day better.

Thanks Tom, that actually looks pretty good.

If I can find this pattern used from a better maker I'd grab it for sure.

This is the Chinese leather jackets thread. We know these aren't the highest quality.

I have owned some very high quality jackets. I have eaten Michelin star meals and I also eat fast food. Can we just stop having these debates?
What’s the point of a McDonald's leather jacket? Ruins the environment, looks like shit, gets sold off for pennies moths later. Why bother?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
There is also this $300 one from Tailor Brando. Honestly these guys can take really photos. From the instagram page it looks like the same factory photos used by the Simone Shanghai guy. This 300 dollars version may or may not have better leather than the cheaper Curphey one, AND that’s the big gamble. In Chinese Taobao literally means finding treasures, or playing The Claw Machine at the arcades. You never know what you’ll get, leather quality wise. Construction is good. Sleeves are on the vintage length side, no 26” length. I’m still waiting for these better horsehide Chinese jackets to show up at my local consignment store so I can go look at them without paying for it first haha…

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...ch|query_from:&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

IMG_1417.jpeg

Thats why I was asking about the “Newzealand” horsehide previous posts. The Simon Shanghai guy claims he bought Polish horsehide crusts and had them finished in China to mimic Shinki. That’s his side of the story... I don’t believe everything I find online…

Technonut

Practically Family
In the short time I've had the jacket, I can already see some grain starting to show.

I've been kneading the collar to see how the grain develops, and am pleased with the results... :) Can't wait to actually wear the jacket this fall to properly break it in... ;)

TBJ2417.jpg

In other Chinese leather jacket news, I noticed a decent sale going at AE, and was drawn to yet another jacket o_O... The overall design, D-pocket placement, right-hand zipper pull, and price sealed the deal for me. ;)

Should be here in 10 days or so going by the last one:

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 08-14-15 Blunt Razor American Vintage Uncoated Batik Cowhide Short We...jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 08-15-22 Blunt Razor American Vintage Uncoated Batik Cowhide Short We...jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 08-13-23 Blunt Razor American Vintage Uncoated Batik Cowhide Short We...jpg

Last edited:

99Tjadams

New in Town
Six months ago I found a Cidu jacket on Poshmark. It was listed as having horween leather but I am doubtful of that. It’s a RRL knockoff/homage of a Mendoza. I love the style and have been keeping my eye out for a (genuine)canvas Mendoza called the Colt.

I know I should be buying quality over quantity but after finding a ripoff of a Y2 140 in olive I couldn’t resist. It arrived last week, from AliExpress from razor shop.
These Chinese jackets seem pretty good, maybe not as comfy as my schott which is broken in. The Mendoza is 116cm XXL and the olive is 118cm. I wish both were a hair larger in the chest, arm movement isn’t great, as if they should have placed the sleeves a bit further forward for reaching, or had the sleeves cut a little higher up.

After lots of reading on here I am hoping to get an Aero type III in Pinnacle conac next.
After that I love this olive green so much that there is a good chance I’ll head to the shop Vancouver and possibly save up for the real thing (Y2)

I’m also eyeballing the Y2 chorecoat on eBay in size 46, I wonder if that person is on here somewhere?

https://ibb.co/jTmSJNM] [/url]
https://ibb.co/tb12XJD] [/url]
https://ibb.co/bsnKFmN] [/url]

You would think these would be taking away from people buying better quality jackets, but in my case it just makes me want the Y2 that much more. I was hoping this would scratch the itch and I would realize I look stupid in green leather. It backfired. I love the olive.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think if you're gonna go the Aliexpress route stick with black leather. The browns and other colors is where the jump in visible difference happens. Is the expensive jacket worth 5 to 10 times the price, No. But there is an undeniable quality difference between leathers when they're put side by side. You know what I might still have my Cidu red rough out if I do I will put it next to the Y2 rough out and everyone can see if you can see the diff. And this is rough out sueded leather, on the grain leather the difference may be even greater. But black is just black. So stick with black jackets if you are going the Ali express route.
They have better leather material jackets from China, made with Shinki or Horweens or Badalassi. But the price is in the same league as the western brands. Last time I checked the Shinki jacket prices were about USD 1200 FOB Hong Kong, and this was quite a few years back. I didn't get one because there wasn't any cost saving at all and I didn't need the custom aspect. No one is giving away nothing.

Technonut

Practically Family
The temps dropped just enough today to make jacket wearing tolerable for a bit with the AC turned-up.

Personally, I find both this jacket and the 30's aviator previously purchased from AE quite nice for the price of admission. I have no issue with the fit, construction, leather quality, etc... While I don't delude myself into thinking the leather is upper-tier, it sure ain't bad either IMO... ;)

I do have another Chinese leather jacket which has been worn for close to 7 years now (pics posted earlier in this thread). That jacket has developed nice grain, and is supple and quite comfortable.

Most of the fun for me is getting some wear on these Chinese leather jackets. I enjoy breaking them in from new and making them mine... :) The price also doesn't hurt since I find myself on a very limited budget after entering my 60's... ;) On AE, I'm able to use PayPal Pay-in-4 plans to stretch out
payments over two months with no interest as well.... :D

Forgive the selfie-mirror-cell phone shots: :eek:

TBJ2420.jpg

TBJ2419.jpg

TBJ2421.jpg

TBJ2418.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
Well, the RL clone arrived today... :) This one didn't ship UPS Expedited, but still made it to my door in 10 days delivered by USPS Priority Mail after clearing customs.

I must say that I've been extremely lucky with these Chinese leather jackets thus far... ;) I figured going by the listed measurements that this jacket would fit like a winner, and after slipping it on, I'm not disappointed at all.... In fact, it's almost like I supplied my requested measurements for it.... :cool:

This particular jacket is made by Cidu. The cowhide is around 1.2mm, and supple with decent grain. I'm fairly certain that once broken-in well, this jacket will be VERY sweet. :) The only changes I may make is to have a buckle installed at my local leather shop instead of the cinch-loop belt, and the cuff buttons adjusted to be a bit tighter around the wrists.

Basically right out of the package here...Again, please forgive the selfie-mirror-cell phone shots: :eek:

RLClone2.jpg

RLClone4.jpg

RLclone1.jpg

RLClone6a.jpg

RLClone5.jpg

EDIT: After looking more closely at the AE listing pics for this jacket, it appears that RL included this into their Polo line-up at some point as well, and Cidu directly patterned from it:

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 08-11-34 Blunt Razor American Vintage Uncoated Batik Cowhide Short We...jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
I'm going to go broke from these damn AE sales.... o_O

Not entirely a Chinese leather jacket, BUT it does have leather cuffs and side adjusters..... ;) I just couldn't help myself with this jacket. 13.5 oz Japanese corduroy, and measurements which should be bang-on for me... :cool: Right-hand zipper pull as well. I will be taking a needed respite from future purchases for awhile after this however:

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 04-08-47 CDJ599 Asian Size Super Quality Japan Corduroy 13.5oz Jacket...png

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 04-09-45 CDJ599 Asian Size Super Quality Japan Corduroy 13.5oz Jacket...png

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 04-10-30 CDJ599 Asian Size Super Quality Japan Corduroy 13.5oz Jacket...png

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 04-11-34 CDJ599 Asian Size Super Quality Japan Corduroy 13.5oz Jacket...png

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 04-17-57 CDJ599 Asian Size Super Quality Japan Corduroy 13.5oz Jacket...png

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 04-20-01 CDJ599 Asian Size Super Quality Japan Corduroy 13.5oz Jacket...png

This jacket features thick corduroy fabric, weighing 385 grams, with a coarse eight-wale corduroy pattern. The fabric is rich and plush with excellent drape, and it has a silky, velvety texture that can create a luxurious sheen in different lighting conditions. What's even more important is that the corduroy fibers are tightly packed and durable, so it won't easily pill during regular wear or even after machine washing. Corduroy is a fabric that can age gracefully, and while it may not develop strong fading like raw denim, the uniformity of the fibers and their shine will change over time, reflecting the wearer's unique experiences.

-Customized herringbone pattern pure cotton lining

-HOOKLESS pure copper vintage zipper, hem adjustable tabs

-Leather patches at the cuffs

And I'll also include a better pic of the RL clone's color posted about above, since my ability to edit has expired there:

RLClone8.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

Not entirely a Chinese leather jacket, BUT it does have leather cuffs and side adjusters..... ;) I just couldn't help myself with this jacket. 13.5 oz Japanese corduroy, and measurements which should be bang-on for me... :cool: Right-hand zipper pull as well. I will be taking a needed respite from future purchases for awhile after this however:

View attachment 630497

View attachment 630498

View attachment 630499

View attachment 630500

View attachment 630501

View attachment 630502

And I'll also include a better pic of the RL clone's color posted about above, since my ability to edit has expired there:

View attachment 630503

That corduroy jacket is nice! I'm still living in hope one day I'll find a place in Beijing stocking this stuff where I can try it on without going mail order. :)

Technonut

Practically Family

View attachment 630497

View attachment 630498

View attachment 630499

View attachment 630500

View attachment 630501

View attachment 630502

View attachment 630503

Just a follow up regarding the corduroy jacket order..... The jacket arrived within the seemingly normal 10 day delivery time from China. VERY NICE jacket which fit VERY WELL.... However, I was quite disappointed to find the zipper sported a left-hand pull instead of the right-hand pull pictured in the listing.. :(

It can be difficult to find jackets with the USA-type men's right-hand zip pull at AE, especially at $250.00 USD or below prices. I have willingly purchased certain jackets with the UK-style men's left-hand pull before, but since I was fully expecting this one to be oriented on the right, the jacket needed to be returned... ;)

This was my first time using AE's free returns promo, and TBH I was a bit apprehensive at first. I was relieved when the return was quickly approved, and a free shipping label provided for me to print.

I dropped the package off at my local PO where there were no issues with scanning the label in. The entire process from shipping out the package to receiving a full refund took exactly 7 days. Pretty much hassle-free.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gnat