Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheers To The Baseball Cap

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Maguire said:
Someone mentioned the field caps. A cap is a cap, chief. i added my two cents. and the beret part was in quotes for a reason.

Sorry, I wasn't being quite clear previously. What I meant to say was; "Hey, I believe that this thread is about ball caps. Please keep the beret bashing in its proper place. " :rolleyes: " (actually, it's very difficult to bash a beret. Not enough stiffness in the damn things)." " ;) " " lol " .

kiltie

Practically Family
Yessir...
Just look at all these bozos in their clown hats. It's ridiculous.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/kgkg.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/2163869906_92a7ab833c.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/c.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/cap_ted_williams.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/NA006940.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/2163061367_051ca27122.jpg

The strange thing is, they must all have the same size head since...

Baseball caps come in one size and have brims that are literally made of cardboard.

vintage-baseball-caps.jpg

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Interesting topic. As I now wear a hat mainly for protection from the elements, a baseball cap has never struck me personally as a Useful Thing:

Baseball caps provide inadequate protection from solar UV radiation which is known to cause skin cancer. A typical baseball cap leaves the sides of the face, ears and neck all exposed to the full sun light. Skin cancer prevention groups do not recommend their use under any circumstances. For serious sun protection, a hat with a broad brim... should be worn.

And in rain the wearer is not all that well protected either.

So I'd be inclined to say baseball caps are more a fashion statement than practical accessory. Quite like this baseball cap though lol :

http://www.spice.co.uk/i_hate_baseball_cap?category_id=0#

But the OP does have a point - different groups / ages of people like different hats and that's just the way it always has been and no doubt always will be.

metropd

One Too Many
Maguire said:
As for tophats vs fedoras, the argument could go way back, we could talk about tricorns vs. bicorns vs. tophats etc. Or Shakos vs. Peaked Caps.

Greatest hat quote ever.lol lol lol lol :D

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Baseball caps worn as part of a uniform, sports, military, or work, is appropriate and fitting. I have no problem with them. My objection is when they (as well as trucker caps) are worn by "gansta wannabees" (Hey! If ya live at home and mama is cookin' fer ya, you ain't a "gansta"! OK?), or even worse, adult men along with their ubiquitous jeans, t-shirt and sneakers (er, sport shoes?).

Why must most adult men think that casual means looking like Beaver Cleaver? He was twelve for God's sake!

Rant over.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
nickn5 said:
Interesting topic. As I now wear a hat mainly for protection from the elements, a baseball cap has never struck me personally as a Useful Thing:

And in rain the wearer is not all that well protected either.

So I'd be inclined to say baseball caps are more a fashion statement than practical accessory...

I would have to disagree. What is practical changes with the situation. My fedora is a great hat for keeping the sun and rain off my head when I am around town or even backpacking in the warmer seasons as long as the weather is mostly fair. However, it is not practical to wear when I am running, or rock climbing, and when I backpack in the winter wearing a ball cap style hat shields my eyes and still allows me to pull up the hood on my jacket to conserve heat and keep rain/snow off my neck and out of my collar. In my case, my ball cap is every bit as practical as my brimmed hats. It is just useful in different contexts.

kabuto said:
...There may be baseball caps that don't have sizing bands in the back, elastic bands, or plastic zip connectors, and which have brims that are not pressed paper or plastic, but here's the thing: Go sit in the food court of the local mall with a clipboard for eight hours and tote up how many of these you see compared to "good caps," and get back to us.

I personally define "good" in context of any product on the quality of its construction and how well it accomplishes it's purpose and fits my needs. I have a ball cap style hat made by Northface. I couldn't tell you what is inside the brim, but it is adjustable via a plastic clip. The hat has survived 14 years of rain storms, snow storms, freezing, animals, bushwacking, sweat, blood, being crushed, stuffed, dropped in rivers, lost in rock falls, and probably a million other things I've done to it but don't remember. The color has faded from black to charcoal over the years, but not one stitch is out of place, the brim has never broken, and the fabric never torn.

That is a good cap.

flylot74 said:
Why must most adult men think that casual means looking like Beaver Cleaver? He was twelve for God's sake!

Rant over.

Why must you hold other people to a definition of casual that that you have created for yourself?

MattJH

One Too Many
kabuto said:
Give me a break, Dumbjaw. Baseball caps come in one size and have brims that are literally made of cardboard.

I can't tell if you're serious! So, I'll just move on...

nola89 said:
I see a lot of kids wearing a sideways ball caps with flat brims with all the tags on it (so we all know how expensive it was)

That's not why - the tags verify authenticity. There are tons of counterfeit fitted hats with poorly-stitched logos out there, but they don't come with the New Era sticker. It's like leaving the leather tag hanging off of a Clarks Wallabee shoe.

flylot74 said:
or even worse, adult men along with their ubiquitous jeans, t-shirt and sneakers (er, sport shoes?).

You just described my outfit 365 / 24 / 7 when I'm not dressed up for work, except you forgot the hat.

All of the looking-down-upon fashion elitism around here rubs me the wrong way. I just never know what the forum administrators will or will not tolerate, but seriously, take a look at some of the responses to this thread already. The baseball hat continues to mourn. Look at its collective face --> :(

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
All of the looking-down-upon fashion elitism around here rubs me the wrong way.
:eusa_clap

I've often found it odd that some of the same people who publicly write about backhanded compliments about their hats/suits/shoes put down the choices of others.

I teach high school and I laugh daily at some of my students' wardrobes. Now, I teach refugee students, so they are just trying to blend in with the crowd and they don't have any money to speak of, but their inventiveness is incredible. I should add that they laugh at me, too!

just_me

Practically Family
Dumbjaw said:
All of the looking-down-upon fashion elitism around here rubs me the wrong way. I just never know what the forum administrators will or will not tolerate, but seriously, take a look at some of the responses to this thread already.

Panamabob said:

I've often found it odd that some of the same people who publicly write about backhanded compliments about their hats/suits/shoes put down the choices of others.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Thank you. I was hesitant to write what you both did because I thought I might be the only one who felt that way.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panamabob said:

I teach high school and I laugh daily at some of my students' wardrobes. Now, I teach refugee students, so they are just trying to blend in with the crowd and they don't have any money to speak of, but their inventiveness is incredible.

I could not agree more:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

IMO clothing is about self expression. At another time it was about fitting in. The way I dress conveys a message regarding my thoughts, feeling, perspective, values etc. Sometimes it is just the uniform of the day; no matter how elegant. Sometimes it is to set a mood; perhaps when I perform.

Nevertheless, it is always about communication.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
trailrunner said:
Why must you hold other people to a definition of casual that that you have created for yourself?

Why do you answer a question with another question?

But, to answer your question (or at least, what I infer as to your question) simply because I can, it's a free country. But please, inform me. What manner of dress do you call an adult male wearing baseball or truckers cap, t-shirt, jeans and running shoes at social functions, while dining, shopping, or going to a movie, etc.? Semi-formal? Business attire? Perhaps I don't understand what you are eluding to.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Having just discovered this thread, I must say that I am presently a proponent of vintage look, fitted caps such worn by early to mid-20th century baseball teams, and aircrew caps, figter and bomber squadrons, and military caps, US et.al.. I understand the fedora lovers' prediliction. The authenticity and vintage of headwear interests me
273879781_926430126_0.jpg

hat.jpg

korean7.gif

frdpos40_edited.jpg

279487944_946587567_0.jpg

edit24.jpg

bud1.jpg

204696514_680518585_0.jpg

Oh...forgot vintage hunting caps, too!
223525853_746473160_0_edited.jpg

dean

MattJH

One Too Many
flylot74 said:
What manner of dress do you call an adult male wearing baseball or truckers cap, t-shirt, jeans and running shoes at social functions, while dining, shopping, or going to a movie, etc.?

Average. Normal. Modest. Thrifty. Relaxed. Comfortable. Modern. Acceptable. Casual.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
trailrunner said:
However, it is not practical to wear [a fedora] when I am running, or rock climbing, and when I backpack in the winter wearing a ball cap style hat shields my eyes and still allows me to pull up the hood on my jacket to conserve heat and keep rain/snow off my neck and out of my collar.

Actually that IS a good point and one of the major drawbacks to the all-round brim hat, even my Winter Tilley Hat with its pull down ear flaps still has no real protection for the back of my neck, and a high coat collar keeps pushing the hat brim up and gets very annoying. Hood plus cap (baseball or other styles) is almost certainly a better combo in those situations, short of a full-blown head and neck covering type of hat.

N. :)

filfoster

One Too Many
Take me out to the ball game

Does it depend on the occasion? I think they do not look as 'right' on a commuting businessman in trench or topcoat, as a fedora or homburg but knocking about on a weekend errand, or on a campus visit or sporting evernt, (yes, even football, not that we in Cincinnati would show these beneath our paperbag masks), they seem perfectly acceptable. Of course, the bill or peak should be worn as the design intended, forward to shade the face, not backward as though a catcher's mask had been removed, or the bail bondsman had asked to better see the client.

I respect the utility of the adjustable band caps, even with the execrable plastic peg and hole straps for the farmer, but a real 'ball cap' should be fitted, cotton and have a proper sweat band, and a pasteboard or fibreboard, cloth covered bill. Logos for your school or team if you must.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
nickn5 said:
Actually that IS a good point and one of the major drawbacks to the all-round brim hat, even my Winter Tilley Hat with its pull down ear flaps still has no real protection for the back of my neck, and a high coat collar keeps pushing the hat brim up and gets very annoying. Hood plus cap (baseball or other styles) is almost certainly a better combo in those situations, short of a full-blown head and neck covering type of hat.

N. :)
Try an eight panel cap. 'twas done back in the days of style for sporting activities by both crusts; upper and lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe