Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you dye a grosgrain hat band?

SnowyViking

New in Town
Hey I got a Indiana Jones hat and the hat band is brown but I really wanted it to be black as it supposed to be so I'm now wondering: Is it possible to dye the hat band or do I need to get another hat band in black color? I have no idea how to ad a hat band my self and There is no hatters in our area So I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows what to do.I added a picture of the hat.Also what do you guys think of the hat? I reshaped it my self so I'm not sure how good it looks like :) Thanks for the answers in advance!
20240620_214713.jpg
20240620_214729.jpg
20240620_214744.jpg

Last edited:

shopkin

Familiar Face
Grosgrain ribbon is usually some combination of Rayon, cotton and silk. All of those fibers will take a dye. If it happens to have nylon in it then it's more difficult to dye.

I'd try to remove the ribbon in one piece by snipping threads one at a time from the inside. In removing the ribbon you'll see how it's done and can reinstall by hand sewing after dyeing.

The bash is a personal thing and everyone has their preferences. Personally, I don't like the sharp crease in front.

Hey I got a Indiana Jones hat and the hat band is brown but I really wanted it to be black as it supposed to be so I'm now wondering: Is it possible to dye the hat band or do I need to get another hat band in black color? I have no idea how to ad a hat band my self and There is no hatters in our area So I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows what to do.I added a picture of the hat.Also what do you guys think of the hat? I reshaped it my self so I'm not sure how good it looks like :) Thanks for the answers in advance!
View attachment 622229 View attachment 622230 View attachment 622231
Yes, dying ribbon is relatively easy but of course it must be removed from the hat. It would help if you knew what the ribbon was made from. It cotton/rayon it might shrink in the dyeing. Poly is not an issue. Use a Rit brand dye, cold water type if you can find it. if it messes it up, black ribbon is very easy to find and you can start afresh.

SnowyViking

New in Town
Thanks for the answers. The hat looked like this before I reshaped it And I'm not sure if it looks ok now since I'm not a pro but I Am very picky when it comes to thing being the closest to the original.I wish I could afford ordering from Herbert Johnson but it would be way to expensive for my wallet so any advice on reshaping other than what I have doe would be most appreciated

https://millerhats.com/store/343-Mens-Fedora-Hats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth