Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can the shoulders on a jacket be brought in?

Jade88

New in Town
I know that expanding the shoulder width is pretty much a no go, but can the shoulders on a suit jacket be brought in about an inch?

Olumin

New in Town
Almost anything can be done if you're willing to pay for it, and find someone willing to to do it .
When altering the shoulders of a jacket, the sleeve length will have to be altered together with it, as taking in the shoulders will shorten the sleeves in turn. The shoulder pads will usually also have to be replaced, otherwise the jacket might not fit correctly. Its a lot of effort and rarely worth it. I doubt most tailors would consider it.

At least that's what my tailor told me when I asked for this same alteration once.
When buying jackets, the shoulder measurement is one of the most important measurements to get right. This is especially important if you're buying online. I would not buy a blazer or suit online if the shoulder measurement was not listed.

The most important measurements I always look for are: Shoulder, chest and sleeve length. In a pinch I can do with just that.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm certain it can be done, but the cost probably isn't worth it.
Exactly so. The tailoring that goes into shoulder construction with lining and padding is a substantial part of the jacket. It can be done, but no matter how skilled the tailor, the result will never compare to new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123