Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Stetson Historians! 50s 100, 3X, and 5X.

MAPip

New in Town
Good morning everyone,

I've been a lurker for a while but wanted to see if I could get a little bit more info on some of the hats I wear.

1. Stetson 100; anything unique about the hat given the box? I have never seen this particular box and color combination (gold interior?). The hat is as described on the forum, impeccable craftsmanship and fairly stiff. I prefer the stiffness in this hat, with a suit it looks stunning.

2. Stetson 3X; My daily hat, does it look good on me? Doesn't have the original box, but is soft and can be molded throughout the day to give it a casual feel.

3. Stetson 5X; Please tell me about this one if you know more. It is very stiff, velvet in superficial texture. It's hard to wear casually given it's stiffness, so I don't really know how to wear it.

Thank you all,
Mario

Attachments

• S100_7.JPG
    S100_7.JPG
    986.9 KB · Views: 40
  • S100_2.JPG
    S100_2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • S100_3.JPG
    S100_3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • S100_4.JPG
    S100_4.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
  • S3X_1.JPG
    S3X_1.JPG
    995.4 KB · Views: 47
  • S3X_2.JPG
    S3X_2.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 50
  • S5X_2.JPG
    S5X_2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • S5X_3.JPG
    S5X_3.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 46
  • S5X_4.JPG
    S5X_4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • S5X_9.JPG
    S5X_9.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
I've been a lurker for a while but wanted to see if I could get a little bit more info on some of the hats I wear.
Great group of hats that are covered by numerous threads around here with the exception of the 5X. I'm no historian but I have an example of all the hats you posted with multiple examples of the 3X. All of your hats, because of general shape and dimensions would be considered Open Road clones.

1) Like you, I have never seen a Stetson 100 with such a box but I have seen a couple with boxes other than the common Samsonite model such as the ones I have. Size tag indicates it's likely a 60's hat.

2) Yes, it looks good on you. The qualities you mention are a common trait of 3X's of that era; mid 50's-early 60's.

3) Maybe the rarest of the three or at least the lesser seen of the three around here.. The 5X has been around for a long time in different iterations. The most famous and desirable of them is the 5X Clear Beaver Quality. No one seems to know when the 'Clear' designation was dropped and the 'Beaver Quality' began The 5X Beaver Quality hats didn't seem to hang around long. Until finding one myself a couple of months ago, I think only one had been mentioned here previously. Like yours, mine has a relatively stiff brim but the crown is soft and malleable.

New, starting with the 3X your hats sold for $15; 5X $35 and of course $100 for the 100.

If there is more you're looking for, you'll need to be more specific.

MAPip

New in Town
I can't thank you enough for taking time to reply to everything. It's difficult to know what a good fit is as not many people around me wear hats aside from a baseball cap or full Cowboy. About a year ago I just decided I was going to wear them, whether or not they suited me.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you typically wear with your 5X? Do you think it is interchangeable with how you would wear a more malleable option like the 3X?

Also, I have heard much concern regarding 60s era Open Road clones; would this extend to my Stetson 100? Frankly, it is the most beautiful hat I have held and I find it hard to reason that its quality would be significantly less than a 50s 100. However, if this is true, I guess my Christmas list just got a lot shorter.

You're welcome.

My hats change way more often than my dress does. Standard uniform for me is a western shirt and jeans with cowboy boots. The 5X fits right in with this.

It is a beautiful hat and I think the same of mine. Maybe the earlier hats were of a superior quality but the most desirable trait in them that I've read about is the softness and malleability of the earlier felts where the later ones were stiff; at least mine is. Still great hats and hard to come by.

MAPip

New in Town
I have a few Western shirts, I’ll give it a go next time I take my wife out to a nice dinner.

Regarding stiff vs. soft, do people desire all hats to be soft? It’s convenient for me to have a 3X be soft and malleable and another be stiff and not lose shape. I’ve bonked my 3X enough times while out and had to reshape a real funky result from the trauma. This is much less desired if I’m in a formal setting (wearing the 100) or have to worry about getting a more formal hat in the right shape and maintain it throughout the evening.

Thanks again, I’m happy to be a part of this community.

Thanks again, I’m happy to be a part of this community
Candidly; there are many here with a greater knowledge and experience with Stetson hats. I think your question went unanswered as long as it did because so many ‘newbs’ appear here with a recent find or inheritance and seek only valuation of their hats and offer nothing as members.

Welcome to TFL and helluva first post. All hats in my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1