Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all owners of Aero 30s Halfbelts - Question regarding range of motion - Pics!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Oh, but HighandDry's Jacket is a 38 while mine is a 40. I wasn't referring to his jacket but to his actual chest and waist measurements.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
There are a lot of people on this forum who have had excellent jackets made for them by Aero- Jan and Griff are among them. However, with my 3 Aeros, the only one that has fit me well is my off the shelf halfbelt. The other 2 jackets were custom ordered, but never fit me quite right.

I may be wrong, but I think that when we give our measurements to Aero, Amanda does a best guess estimate of what size jacket will fit you best and goes from there. The custom stuff like pockets, sleeve/back length, type of leather, etc are added; but I bet that the general cut of the jacket remains true to the standard pattern.

Rudie has the same measurements as me and was recommended a 40. When I contacted Amanda, she also recommended a 40. It wasn't until I had the chance to try on the jackets at Insurrection that I realized how much better the 38 fit. I bet that if I ordered my "custom" jacket from Aero that it would have turned out very similar to Rudie's.

Now this isn't a knock on Aero. There's only so much they can do and I bet the majority of people are happy with their purchases. However, I tend to think that Amanda errs on the size of larger, since most people are carrying a little extra. In your case Rudie, you requested that you be able to layer a heavy sweater underneath and I think this also sizes you up in the jacket. With my jacket, I can easily wear a light sweater, but a heavy sweater would be uncomfortable.

I hope you get things sorted out!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I know it's difficult to estimate the via the internet. I don't blame Amanda at all. I just want to make sure that I get the best possible fit next time.

The irony is that Amanda might have erred on the large size and that this is the reason why I can't layer a heavy sweater, just like Wade pointed out. Right now I'm leaning towards a 30s Halfbelt in a lighter hide that fits snugly and a Barnstormer for Winter wear. Just wanna make sure that the next one doesn't have such a disastrous fit as well. I guess I'll find a shop to try on a 38 first.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Rudie, I don't know if it's possible, but I know that Insurrection has a lot of Aeros in stock. Take a look at their website and give Wade a call. That way you'll be able to try on the jacket and if it doesn't fit, return it and try on another one.

Be careful of the Barnstormer! I think that the big 3 (Barnstormer, Cheyenne, and the Stockman) are hard to fit on slim guys. I ordered a Cheyenne after seeing Griff's and Jan's and mine turned out not so great. It was HUGE (labeled 38). Aero re-did it, but it's never been completely right. I've been thinking of getting the Teamster for winter use, as it seems that the cut is slimmer.

As in terms of hides, my Cheyenne is mid-weight and acutually the FQHH in my halfbelt is more comfortable. The mid-weight is softer to begin with, but takes a long time to break in. In fact, I nearly had given up on the Cheyenne, but started putting it in the dryer with no heat and it finally is starting to break in.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I might find a shop in Germany with Aero stock jackets to try them on. If the Barnstormer doesn't work I'd look for the Teamster as well.

I find the the FQHH too heavy for a jacket that's so snug that I can't layer underneath. My present jacket is too heavy to feel comfortable when it's warm outside. n the other hand it's not suitable for winter wear because I can't layer. Doesn't make it a very versatile jacket. I'd rather have a lighter jacket that I can wear in the spring and on cool summer days and warm fall days.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
That sounds like a perfect mix for your climate Rudie.

The last leather jacket I had made for me after shop bought jackets I gave my chest size( 46 , 47 inhaled wearing just a tee shirt) and rather than tell them of a sort of fit which gave room for them to misinterpret I said 50 inches round the chest ...not telling you lot about round the gut but suffice to say I am not a 30s halfbelt shape... that way rather than them trying to guess what I wanted they knew exactly what size to make the thing and left no room for them for misunderstanding.

Result was perfect fit which meant the thing was snug all the way round which meant no movement issues but because there was no one part tighter than the rest I could acctually fit a thin fleece underneath if needed without one part getting too tight, a hell of a thing to get right over the phone or net though.

jrohlf

New in Town
I also dislike the straight-jacket feel. It looks like the chest is cut too big and the underarm sleeve length is much too short, which I guess is what happens with larger armholes. I'd like to see how your pit to wrist measurement compares to the pit to cuff sleeve length.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
What do you mean by "straight-jacket feel"?

Will had a look at the pictures and he agrees with Wade. As I need the room in the shoulders, though, they'll make me a hybrid. Size 40 in the shoulders and 38 below the armholes. Just have to update my measurements before ordering. This time it's going to be in russet goat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82