Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Sportswear Co Speed King (Horsehide Leather Jacket)

semolina_pilchard

A-List Customer
I was lucky enough to find this California Sportswear Co 'Speed King' motorcycle jacket on eBay. I immediately made an offer and it was automatically accepted.

Here's the description from the seller:

I am offering one of those "Unicorn" items that your never, ever find: An original California Sportswear Company - Horsehide Motorcycle Jacket. There is not ONE flaw in the interior quilted lining, around the insides of the cuffs, or at the neck. The pockets are as perfect and clean as the day it was made. There is NOTHING that could be considered a "flaw" on the horsehide shell of the jacket. The original horsehide belt appears never to have been worn or even buckled for that matter. Yes...it is SEVENTY YEARS OLD, and looks nearly new. All of the Zippers work and the small metal rings are still intact. To find a nicer one, you'll have to visit the Smithsonian or the Harley Davidson Museum. I am not sure what "model" it is, but it is a thing of beauty. There are virtually no creases and very few if any real signs of wear. There are some "shiny" areas here and there, but those are simply from moving it from closet to closet over the last seventy years.

I bought this from an old buddy of mine decades ago to wear riding my '51 Panhead, but I was never really thin enough to wear it comfortably. So it has hung in a bag in various closets since I was in my late mid-thirties. This is SERIOUS motorcycle jacket. It will take at least a year of so to break it in and that is if you wear it a LOT. I have had several over the years and this is the heaviest horsehide I have ever seen, yet it is very supple and not stiff. My asking price reflects the condition and rarity of this jacket and I don't apologize for it in the least.

It was accurately described, to say the least. It looks like new. I think it's a 1950s jacket, so to receive a >70 year old jacket in this condition - I am astounded.

Here are some photos to do more of the talking:

CSC 1.jpeg

CSC 2.jpeg

CSC 3.jpeg

CSC 5.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful jacket. Great condition regardless of any age. The design is no mystery to me. I see how the style was influenced by my favorite Californian jacket. Years looking for one in my size but not luck yet... Just pure gold. Thanks for the bonus in the images with the tag and belt maker. Excellent find.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Lot of jacket companies would use a subcontractor to make the belts back then so it could still be the original belt especially if it same leather /studs . My family had a dedicated belt company in New York City garment district around 1950-2000 and we made belts for many different companies. We received the cut leather in bundles and we assembled it sewing, eyelets, buckles etc sometimes glue, paint studs etc.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Lot of jacket companies would use a subcontractor to make the belts back then so it could still be the original belt especially if it same leather /studs . My family had a dedicated belt company in New York City garment district around 1950-2000 and we made belts for many different companies. We received the cut leather in bundles and we assembled it sewing, eyelets, buckles etc sometimes glue, paint studs etc.

I love the Idaho leather company. They produce excellent quality products. I believe they have been in business since the 30's? So it is very possible it is original to the jacket. My biker/police jackets have a huge belt loop openings. A 2.5 belt will fit just fine. In the past, I purchased several of their belts at a Pomona meet here in S. Cal. Old school top grain leather. Hard to see that now as more and more American tanneries sadly are no longer operating.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
No longer the "patch Pocket". I owned 3 of these, I believe you owned one? I just mailed off one today. I'm keeping one that is quite clean too, but has only a CSC horsehide tag.

This was a popular model, perhaps the name helped!

I have never seen anything like the hang tag you found!. Priceless! I have a couple of CSC boxes and perhaps a sign and lots of jackets!

Was this not advertised in the auction?

These pieces and parts, paper, advertising, is a joy equal to a jacket. I have a nice collection of catalogs, advertising. Someone has a salesman sample CSC leather jacket. I would love to own that.

AHP91

Practically Family
No longer the "patch Pocket". I owned 3 of these, I believe you owned one? I just mailed off one today. I'm keeping one that is quite clean too, but has only a CSC horsehide tag.

This was a popular model, perhaps the name helped!

I have never seen anything like the hang tag you found!. Priceless! I have a couple of CSC boxes and perhaps a sign and lots of jackets!

Was this not advertised in the auction?

These pieces and parts, paper, advertising, is a joy equal to a jacket. I have a nice collection of catalogs, advertising. Someone has a salesman sample CSC leather jacket. I would love to own that.
Speedking is a fantastic model name

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely incredible find. The tag alone (and it's also excellent condition) is quite the verification piece. I suspect that is a whole lot rarer these days than the jackets themselves. Amazing find and I hope it does fit you - really a museum quality piece there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bootsyd