Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz or McCoys A-2

RayR

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tell me from experience which is a better copy and which is a better made jacket between The Real McCoys (Japan) and Buzz Ricksons?

I have a the Real McCoys A-s coming this week. It is a 42 and looks like it will be just a bit big. It measures 23" pit to pit and I fit comfortably in 22". I can send it back for a refund if needed. I am hoping that the Japanese version runs small or tight and this fits perfectly.

Meanwhile, I just heard back from a Buzz distributor in Japan who ships to US and their Dubow A-2 of the same configuration including shipping comes to almost the exact same price as I am paying now for the TRMJ steer version.

It would be great to hear some thoughts on the two as to quality and what to expect over time. (pics are always a plus =)

Cheers

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For pics, you can always go to Yahoo Auction Japan to see plenty of used Buzz and RM A-2s in various conditions. In general, RM uses better materials i.e. zipper, lining etc. There are comments that RM uses very well corrected (nearly no imperfections) leather which also means they are very smooth with barely visible grains. I personally notice that both brands have many different A-2 models, some of those have very glassy finish. One thing with these glassy finish is that they tend to flake off around edges.

RayR

One of the Regulars
For pics, you can always go to Yahoo Auction Japan to see plenty of used Buzz and RM A-2s in various conditions. In general, RM uses better materials i.e. zipper, lining etc. There are comments that RM uses very well corrected (nearly no imperfections) leather which also means they are very smooth with barely visible grains. I personally notice that both brands have many different A-2 models, some of those have very glassy finish. One thing with these glassy finish is that they tend to flake off around edges.

Thanks Blackadder, I have seen an occasional mention of that Auction site. I'll check it out. Can anyone buy/bid there or is it Japan specific?

Blackadder

I use a bidding service company. Granted that the bidding fee of 10% seems steep, one have to bear in mind that many are local private sellers who tend not to ship overseas nor accept credit card, paypal etc. I saved quite a bit on my leather jackets even with the 10% fees. One of my recent purchases was a brand new Rainbow Country A-2 that I won for 109000 yen (tax free) and the SRP of that jacket is 183600 yen (sales tax incl.).

RayR

One of the Regulars
I am unfamiliar with feeding services. Can you point me in the right direction?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hi,

I own both real mccoy and buzz rickson a2`s!
Regarding fit in similar contracts I find Buzz rickson a little narrow in shoulders and roomier torso than real mccoy!
Also the arms seems more slim on the RMC.
The best one I own is an early Real mccoy NZ formerly owned by a couple of fellow loungers!

Cheers Joakim

RayR

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Jokim. I got the real McCoy with a 23 inch pit to pit which seems slightly large rather than risking 21 inches which might be slightly tight. I have a barrel chest and stomach that are the same size so I can't be slim as I would like to be, but I don't want it to look b Baggy. Such a dilemma which probably is best addressed by having good where make one to fit ultimately.

If the McCoy is slightly large in the body, do you think it's reasonable to consider having a tailor make adjustments? Or would it be best just returning it and trying another option? What's your opinion?

RayR

One of the Regulars
And sorry about spelling of your name, I'm surprised voice recognition software got it that close, lol

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hi,

Having a tailor to adjust the jacket seems like an expensive way if you are able to send it back! I would send it back! For me, the best fit is the RMNZ Dubow 27798!
I also have the Real Mccoy Japan Rough Wear 27752 in goat, it fits quite well, just a little roomier around the belly. You mentioned a Buzz Rickson Dubow option, I have their 1941 20960 contract in italian horsehide which is really nice, haven't had the time to break it in yet! Talking about quality, in my opinion I think Real Mccoy beats Buzz rickson by fraction of a hair! There are so many loungers in this forum far more experienced than me in this question. Hope they wake up soon.
I think the Real mccoy seem like good choice after reading about your barrel chest and stomach thing!!! By the way, you are not the first one spelling my name wrong.

Cheers Joakim

thor

Call Me a Cab
I've visited a Buzz Rickson retail store in Japan and also the new Blue in Green RMC store in NYC. To me, both maker's a-2 jackets looked identical in quality and workmanship (and were overpriced, IMHO). I was in the market for a WWII Navy deck jacket and went with the BR model.

Blackadder

I am unfamiliar with feeding services. Can you point me in the right direction?

If you google yahoo auction jp, you can see a few bidding service companies in the search result. I use Buyee because it accepts credit card hence no need for deposits and in turn no limits on your bid (actually will be your credit card limit).

Buzz is closer to the original cut and hence a bit balloon shaped while RM tweaks with the original designs to provide a slim straight sihoulette in almost all their clothings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld