Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button-Down Collars with Suits

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Confirms what I thought...

Jovan said:
Mid-fogey: I'm not sure how much of it is exaggerated, or true, but here's the story of the button-down 'dress' shirt according to Brooks Brothers, who brought it to the States. Click on "1896."

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/aboutus/heritage.tem

...might be true. Brooks Brothers also claims Seersucker and who knows what else. True? False? Who knows.

Now motor cycles, and open cars -- maybe we've got something there.

Jovan

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
I propose that Jovan put on a collared shirt, jump onto a polo pony and ride like the wind, rather than parrot Brooks Brothers' press-kit version of history.

And yes, I am joking.

You're on. With a black period.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I never liked it and thought it was shabby. A button-down is usually tailored to be a sport shirt, meant for less-demanding sports (for today; even then they'd wear them for anything), like tennis, golf, etc. In the golden era it was rare to be seen wearing them with a suit and non-button downs like points and tabs were much more common.

Edward

Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
And then the question if you're "alllowed" to leave them unbuttoned, with or without a tie…

I have a few casual, short sleeve shirts with button down collars. Always hated the look of the collars buttoned down when worn open-necked, but then the back of a polo pony is not my natural habitat!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
There is an interesting alternative...

I buy mostly button downs when I'm buying RTW, but for my MTM shirts from MyTailor.com I specify hidden buttons. That way the collars don't lay so flat and yet you can't see the buttons when they're buttoned. An excellent option.

davestlouis

Practically Family
We have a hard-and-fast rule at work...NO BUTTON DOWN COLLARS, no exceptions. I work in a very conservative funeral home and the powers that be have deemed button downs too informal.

The last FH I worked at took it one step further...the dress code called for all shirts to be a 60/40 blend, presumably to avoid wrinkles?! Given that the company didn't pay for the shirts, I went ahead and wore 100% cotton and thumbed my nose at them.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've never been a fan of contemporary BD shirts. I find them too informal for use with a (modern) suit (my view of the look rather than slavish adherence to style dictation), and too formal as casual wear.

I agree with the comments that the modern mass produced BDs don't look good enough to wear with suits, but I'm sure there are quality versions out there for those who do appreciate the look.

In terms of both modern and vintage look, I prefer collar bars/pins. Keeps the collar together, raises the tie knot, and looks smart IMO.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
There's certainly nothing wrong with them or with wearing one with a suit. They are decidedly more casual than other kinds of collars, but there's nothing wrong with being casual in a suit if the occasion warrants it.

Once a girlfriend asked me to dress casually. Her exact words were "no tie today." I rakishly showed up in an oxford with a button down collar under a double-breasted suit, sans tie. :rolleyes:

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
In hot weather, I wear a BB pinpoint button-down under my blue/white seersucker suit with a bow tie and white bucks . A very classic look, IMHO.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I would think a sporty button-down shirt would be fine with a suit, considering the fact that the modern lounge suit itself was considered casual wear when it was first created, appropriate for only the most informal activities.
Also, a double-breasted suit was less formal than a single breasted suit, making Mr. Grant's and Mr. Astaire's choice a logical one.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Jauntyone said:
Also, a double-breasted suit was less formal than a single breasted suit, making Mr. Grant's and Mr. Astaire's choice a logical one.

Mine, too, apparently. Interesting.

Except for maybe the lack of tie. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe