Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Cavanagh Edge? (UPDATED WITH PHOTOS)

Barry

Practically Family
Did Brooks sell fedoras with a Cavanagh Edge?

I've only seen pictures of the Cavanagh edge, sad to say. I am down in Georgetown now and came across one. It's 7 1/8, short brim and it is grey with a black sweat. The edge looks like one to me based on the photos I've seen.

They are asking $45 for the hat. Too bad it's small for me.

Barry

Feraud

Bartender
I am not sure if BB ever offered that edge. If the brim were not short and I not just spent a chunk of change on some new pieces I would ask you to pick it up for me.
Perhaps another member would be interested?

Barry

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I am not sure if BB ever offered that edge. If the brim were not short and I not just spent a chunk of change on some new pieces I would ask you to pick it up for me.
Perhaps another member would be interested?

I would say the edge was folded over but it's much nicer than that. It's not stitched, that's for sure. It's almost rolled back over onto the felt and it's very smooth almost like a little bump in the felt.

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
Yep, that's it. The "seal" or whatever it would be called between the edge of the folded over part meets the rest of the brim of the hat is very, very smooth.

I just might pick it up.

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
edge.jpg

Maybe it's some other type of edge. I'm not sure this hat is all that old. It sure needs a good steam cleaning though.

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Yep, that looks like the edge on my Duff that was confirmed as a Cavanagh.
Let's see the rest of it!

I will get some photos up. I might put in the classifieds section or just bring it to QM if someone wants it. They knocked off about 15% due to a sale too.

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
The pictures!

This is my only shot of the old crown. I didn't like the crown so I reshaped it after a little steaming. It was very easy to reshape.

oldcrown.jpg

The new crown...

brooksbrown.jpg

Bow:

brooksbow.jpg

Front:

brooks1.jpg

The inside has a black sweat and a white lining. It doesn't reproduce well.

Ya gotta love the fact that they punched the sweat for the price tag.

insidebrooks.jpg

Barry

duggap

Banned
Cavanagh edge

Thanks for the post. I have been working up the nerve to ask someone to explain a cavanagh edge to a total novice. I guess you just did. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley