Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Black Fleece website now online...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Marc Chevalier said:
I attack Brooks Brothers because it pretends to be what it no longer is. Brooks Brothers lost its way in the late '60s ... Ralph Lauren picked up the slack ... then Brooks Brothers got sold to a host of conglomerates ... and now it's trying to imitate Ralph Lauren (who is imitating Thom Browne!)

I seem to remember saying that exact thing to someone a few days back.

Thom Brown though is emulating Eddy Munster who in tern was emulating a little schoolboy.

Now there are a few changes along the way to put it on adults though that's the look. It's fettish clothes made mainstream and Thom Browne gets all the credit.

I do think olo is doing it right by having better tailoring and a visual sense of what looks good. Neither thom Browne nor the Brothers Brooks have that eye. They just have ill fitting clothes.

Just wait. In a few years your baggy dress pants will be back in style. Durring that wait I'll be wearing mine out.

Brooks Brothers.

Over-priced and very boring. The classic American styles are not boring. What BB does with them is. And then they slap a massive price tag on their stuff just because it's BB.

Not much else to say about it really.

The Regent Street store when i was i there was full of Americans. For some reason, when but three minutes walk from Savile Row, they chose to hit Brooks Brothers! Honestly guys, you can buy the same dull, uninspired stuff at home for half the price or less!

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
I would like to remind that this thread is about Black Fleece however, not Brooks Brothers mainline.

I do not think it is always necessary to separate the product from the parent company.
Members should make pertinent comments about the hows and whys of Brooks Bros. carrying a particular line of clothes.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I have been explicitly told a by BB store managers and higher-level company officials that the Black Fleece line was motivated to A) attract a new sort of customer and B) generate more marketing buzz than BB would usually get through their normal advertising strategies.

That may not be an exhaustive account of the motivation for the line, but it is surely an accurate one.

Jovan

Suspended
Feraud said:
I do not think it is always necessary to separate the product from the parent company.
Members should make pertinent comments about the hows and whys of Brooks Bros. carrying a particular line of clothes.
I don't mind a little of that, but mainly I was curious of the opinion of the clothes themselves.

"Fur" the record, I wouldn't pay $10,000 for that. Or a penny at all. Fur is disgusting.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The outfit with the knickerbockers and jacket reminds me of a photo of my grandfather, c. 1900. The fact that it's made for a grown man just isn't right. :confused:

Jovan

Suspended
Certainly not much worse than plus-fours and a jacket, which a few here wear regularly. (Or at least own and wear sometimes.) The shorts and jacket is where it gets too much for me, personally. I'd wear the shorts and a short sleeved shirt, but certainly never a jacket.

I like:

men-outfit-599-detail.jpg

men-outfit-604-detail.jpg

Let me get this straight. This is an entirely bespoke line, right?

If not, this line is the greatest rip-off in the history of menswear. If not, BB are trying to attract the clientelle with too much money, With money to burn. Who don't care how much it costs, just so long as it's designed by the hip man of the moment.

No surprises if this is the case.

bk

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
Fur is disgusting.

Actually, I'm sure you are quite right. I very much wish that Mrs. Crumrine would develop an aversion to fur, at least the more expensive varieties. As a start, wouldn't you agree that cheap fur is far more desirable than sable or even the better minks?

She insists, however, that all her furs were all taken from dead animals and there is no functional difference between her being warm and fashionable in the winter and me wearing leather, or eating bacon, or even -- at my age -- being in favor of heart transplants. I really wish you could help me convince her, with reasoned arguement, that her affection for fur is misplaced and she really doesn't need yet another ankle length Russian sable.

But her position is that by wearing the new sable she is in fact sacrificing for the environment. She won't have to turn the car heater up quite so far and thus there will be fewer greenhouse gases and less global warming. She is thus doing her part to help save the earth. It's a sacrifice, she says, but somebody's got to do it.

It's so hard to know what is the right thing to do. I would deeply appreciate all the help you can offer in this matter.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
never say never

Jovan said:
Certainly not much worse than plus-fours and a jacket, which a few here wear regularly. (Or at least own and wear sometimes.) The shorts and jacket is where it gets too much for me, personally. I'd wear the shorts and a short sleeved shirt, but certainly never a jacket.

I wonder if BBKing would model for them...
BB_King.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads