Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronson workwear authenticity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISO1969

New in Town
Had this up in hat section, but no one is reading or replying, probably makes more sense here.

Gentlemen and Ladies:

I've had some great experiences buying various watches on Alli Express (steeldive, awesome watches).

So branching out into vintage style seemed promising. I've seen a few stores with very high ratings, well two to be exact, that offer Bronson items. They use all of Bronson's stock photos and sell other brands like Red Tornado too.

One is DearyLeZing which I saw posts by others here for other situations, as being reputable and they were happy with their purchases. I ordered all three engineer hats made by Bronson from them. I usually order from Bronson directly, but with coupons, coins etc it worked out to be about $14 less and also free shipping, so I wouldn't have to buy socks or something silly to get free shipping or pay $6.99 pushing it over $100 anyway.

Like I said, they have high ratings, no complaints and they have a business license they post too via a store front link. I haven't seen that on most stores on AE.

Fast forward I receive the hats and I guess what threw me is all 3 were put in one Bronson bag, and the tags were not pinned on (Bronson always uses a small brass safety pin type fastener) and the tags seemed thinner than usual. The rivets all say Bronson, the hats more or less look like the photos (I wear a 60-61 and these supposedly fit up to 63 unwashed and 62 once washed not so sure if they mean with the split vent spread wide and open lol) it just hit me oddly.

Also one of the exterior branding labels on one hat is not centered, so id ask for an exchange or a compromise solution like partial refund (it's annoying) Since they are in China too, and I've never had to do a return with AE.

I'm hesitant as a recent AE experience where their US branch of their courier/shipping company has me a bit anxious about things. They dropped something in the mail without paying postage on the meter label, my mailman had to collect it before delivery. It wasn't import taxes etc. part of me wonders if the driver dumped some of his stuff in the mail as he was running late etc., but I'll never know. Since paying postage again for a free shipping item violates the AE buyer protection, you would think with proof it's a slam dunk resolution but the literal clown circus trying to resolve it after repeated attempts was just beyond unbelievable. Them not speaking English didn't help either. The seller finally gave me a free watch band as a make good and it's actually Alli's fault not his. What if a bigger problem arises? They only seem to offer refunds(if not delivered) or a return. There was nothing wrong with the item and I had it, their courier screwed up. In fact tracking still shows it in transit. If I did return I'd still be out the additional postage. My favorite comment was "can you not ask us post to refund this wrongly charged money" like it was their fault lol.

I cannot find anything online about counterfeit Bronson items being sold. I know three or four shops sell it on AE, and a few on eBay. But Bronson customer service would not verify that this DearyLeZing store was a known re-seller and obviously wouldn't verify the items without seeing them in person. They also agreed all their tags are pinned on and heavy cardboard.

I'm on the fence. I know negotiating with an Asian or Chinese seller or company is different. You don't want to say something in a way that they perceive as insulting. You certainly can't demand action like some "Karen's" do with Amazon (not that I would lol). Anyone ever return something to AE and found it to be an easy task? Part of me is kicking myself and part of me wonders if I'm being silly. I can't help but wonder if the ones from Bronson directly are the same hats, or a roomier fit and better quality. I have quite a few Bronson items and these seem to be Bronson, but who knows? I also wonder if the seller on AE will work with you on a partial refund for the defective exterior branding label (what we'd call "seconds" here in US) . I've learned actually having something on hand versus waiting a year for a refund etc is a superior concept. I'd hate to return these, then have to fight for a refund that's supposed to be easy.

Anyone use DearyLeZing? Verify they sell legit Bronson and Red Tornado? What experiences do you have returning items through Alli Express?

I'm surprised Bronson wouldn't verify them at the very least as an unofficial reseller. DearyLeZing must buy in bulk. Looks like Bronson themselves used to have a store at AE but no longer do so, maybe they want to distance themselves?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

AHP91

One Too Many
I highly doubt that there are counterfeit Bronson items being sold. I’ve bought Bronson and Red Tornado items from Deary and Vintage Silhouette store and have had no issues. Sometimes these stores carry older stock items that sometimes have different measurements than current offerings or perhaps were packaged differently.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
it worked out to be about $14 less and also free shipping, so I wouldn't have to buy socks or something silly to get free shipping or pay $6.99 pushing it over $100 anyway.
There's no such thing as free shipping. Free means sponsored by the Chinese government. Try Googling ePacket and unfair competition.

In the end all these aliexpress or TEMU purchases push local sellers out of the market. And what about the environmental impact of all these low quality goods? Anyway, whenever possible I prefer to buy locally even if that means I need to spend more.

AHP91

One Too Many
There's no such thing as free shipping. Free means sponsored by the Chinese government. Try Googling ePacket and unfair competition.

In the end all these aliexpress or TEMU purchases push local sellers out of the market. And what about the environmental impact of all these low quality goods? Anyway, whenever possible I prefer to buy locally even if that means I need to spend more.
It’s very tough to quantify. In some parts of the U.S., it’s quite difficult to go grocery shopping, get your electronics fixed, etc. without going to some Walmart or other big corporation that have done a number on smaller businesses (many areas they have been totally driven out). Of course, clothing purchases can be more of a local transaction and are unnecessary luxuries most of the time. But as much as I hate it, I give a lot of money to disgusting monopolies for necessities.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I had an okay experience with Aliexpress refund, I ordered a shaving brush, I reckon it was sold out because the official store had run out of stock so they just sent me a wooden paddlepop stick. Reviews showed a trend, but I messaged Aliexpress support who gave me a prepaid shipping label to drop off at my local post office. I don't know why I'd need to return it because there's no way the cost and environmental impact of the shipping was worth it for this probably 10 cent piece of wood...

Either way, waste of time, but I got my money back with no dramas.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I doubt they're counterfeit Bronsons.

I expect there are a couple of factories pumping out this stuff some of which gets labeled Bronson, Bob Dong, etc, and this shop is probably selling direct from there. My understanding anyway was that the whole "Bronson" thing was just a western facing consumer portal for this stuff.

Exactly!

And if there's something that I need that's only available through these sites, I consider it a clear sign that I do not, in fact, need it.

Clothes is the last thing I'd be buying from any of these drop-ship monsters, anyway. For whatever you think you saved, we all paid a premium.

Where are Bronson hats made, anyway?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
My understanding anyway was that the whole "Bronson" thing was just a western facing consumer portal for this stuff.
As far as I know Bronson has also a Chinese online shop (where the prices are significantly lower than their "Western" shop).
The fellows from the VLJ forum who have tried many different Chinese repro brands (Bronson, Bob Dong, Gizemo, etc) can verify that there are (significant) quality differences between the different brands.
To the OP: there have been reported cases here and also in the VLJ forum where Bronson jackets bought not directly from the Bronson shop but through AE started deteriorating after washing (while jackets bought from Bronson - at least mine - do not; I have washed mine numerous times); maybe a coincidence, however a coincidence that keeps repeating itself is probably no longer a coincidence. Maybe the AE shops sell B-stock???

CISO1969

New in Town
I highly doubt that there are counterfeit Bronson items being sold. I’ve bought Bronson and Red Tornado items from Deary and Vintage Silhouette store and have had no issues. Sometimes these stores carry older stock items that sometimes have different measurements than current offerings or perhaps were packaged differently.
Thank you. I was curious

CISO1969

New in Town
As far as I know Bronson has also a Chinese online shop (where the prices are significantly lower than their "Western" shop).
The fellows from the VLJ forum who have tried many different Chinese repro brands (Bronson, Bob Dong, Gizemo, etc) can verify that there are (significant) quality differences between the different brands.
To the OP: there have been reported cases here and also in the VLJ forum where Bronson jackets bought not directly from the Bronson shop but through AE started deteriorating after washing (while jackets bought from Bronson - at least mine - do not; I have washed mine numerous times); maybe a coincidence, however a coincidence that keeps repeating itself is probably no longer a coincidence. Maybe the AE shops sell B-stock???
Thank you.

CISO1969

New in Town
I doubt they're counterfeit Bronsons.

I expect there are a couple of factories pumping out this stuff some of which gets labeled Bronson, Bob Dong, etc, and this shop is probably selling direct from there. My understanding anyway was that the whole "Bronson" thing was just a western facing consumer portal for this stuff.
Thanks just feeling things out

58panheadfan

One Too Many

I can only agree with that. When you order from Aliexpress or temu, your first question should be: do I really need this shit? You should also source not only goods but also your food from local producers and, above all, cook seasonally. With this "little piece of wisdom" you can contribute so much to the survival of local producers.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I can only agree with that. When you order from Aliexpress or temu, your first question should be: do I really need this shit? You should also source not only goods but also your food from local producers and, above all, cook seasonally. With this "little piece of wisdom" you can contribute so much to the survival of local producers.
I'm not immune to the allure of cheap myself as I once bought a type II jacket from aliexpress. They sent the wrong color and the wrong size lol. Plus it had a huge neckhole. I wore the jacket once and then sold it. The guy who I sold it to relisted it shortly after. I highly doubt that anyone who is into leather jackets will really enjoy such a jacket, in the end they're mediocre at best.

I now try to buy locally made as much as possible. T-shirts or Henleys from Colorful Standard (made in Portugal) or Merz B Schwanen (made in Germany). All my dressier clothing and accessories are made in Italy, Switzerland, Portugal or Turkey. In the short term it's more expensive than fast fashion but in the long run it's cheaper as the items are made to last.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Agreed, I would love a summarise button on the forum that uses chatgpt :p

"The author describes their experience purchasing Bronson hats from the AliExpress store DearyLeZing, noting some inconsistencies in packaging and quality compared to direct purchases from Bronson, which left them unsure about the legitimacy of the products and the store's reseller status. They express hesitance in pursuing a return or partial refund due to past challenges with AliExpress's return process and lack of clear counterfeit information, and seek advice on how to proceed or negotiate with the seller."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1