Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronson Mfg offers on Alli Express -counterfeit? Real?

CISO1969

New in Town
Gentlemen and Ladies:

I've had some great experiences buying various watches on Alli Express (steeldive, awesome watches).

So branching out into vintage style seemed promising. I've seen a few stores with very high ratings, well two to be exact, that offer Bronson items. They use all of Bronson's stock photos and sell other brands like Red Tornado too.

One is DearyLeZing which I saw posts by others here for other situations, as being reputable and they were happy with their purchases. I ordered all three engineer hats made by Bronson from them. I usually order from Bronson directly, but with coupons, coins etc it worked out to be about $14 less and also free shipping, so I wouldn't have to buy socks or something silly to get free shipping or pay $6.99 pushing it over $100 anyway.

Like I said, they have high ratings, no complaints and they have a business license they post too via a store front link. I haven't seen that on most stores on AE.

Fast forward I receive the hats and I guess what threw me is all 3 were put in one Bronson bag, and the tags were not pinned on (Bronson always uses a small brass safety pin type fastener) and the tags seemed thinner than usual. The rivets all say Bronson, the hats more or less look like the photos (I wear a 60-61 and these supposedly fit up to 63 unwashed and 62 once washed not so sure if they mean with the split vent spread wide and open lol) it just hit me oddly.

Also one of the exterior branding labels on one hat is not centered, so id ask for an exchange or a compromise solution like partial refund (it's annoying) Since they are in China too, and I've never had to do a return with AE.

I'm hesitant as a recent AE experience where their US branch of their courier/shipping company has me a bit anxious about things. They dropped something in the mail without paying postage on the meter label, my mailman had to collect it before delivery. It wasn't import taxes etc. part of me wonders if the driver dumped some of his stuff in the mail as he was running late etc., but I'll never know. Since paying postage again for a free shipping item violates the AE buyer protection, you would think with proof it's a slam dunk resolution but the literal clown circus trying to resolve it after repeated attempts was just beyond unbelievable. Them not speaking English didn't help either. The seller finally gave me a free watch band as a make good and it's actually Alli's fault not his. What if a bigger problem arises? They only seem to offer refunds(if not delivered) or a return. There was nothing wrong with the item and I had it, their courier screwed up. In fact tracking still shows it in transit. If I did return I'd still be out the additional postage. My favorite comment was "can you not ask us post to refund this wrongly charged money" like it was their fault lol.

I cannot find anything online about counterfeit Bronson items being sold. I know three or four shops sell it on AE, and a few on eBay. But Bronson customer service would not verify that this DearyLeZing store was a known re-seller and obviously wouldn't verify the items without seeing them in person. They also agreed all their tags are pinned on and heavy cardboard.

I'm on the fence. I know negotiating with an Asian or Chinese seller or company is different. You don't want to say something in a way that they perceive as insulting. You certainly can't demand action like some "Karen's" do with Amazon (not that I would lol). Anyone ever return something to AE and found it to be an easy task? Part of me is kicking myself and part of me wonders if I'm being silly. I can't help but wonder if the ones from Bronson directly are the same hats, or a roomier fit and better quality. I have quite a few Bronson items and these seem to be Bronson, but who knows? I also wonder if the seller on AE will work with you on a partial refund for the defective exterior branding label (what we'd call "seconds" here in US) . I've learned actually having something on hand versus waiting a year for a refund etc is a superior concept. I'd hate to return these, then have to fight for a refund that's supposed to be easy.

Anyone use DearyLeZing? Verify they sell legit Bronson and Red Tornado? What experiences do you have returning items through Alli Express?

I'm surprised Bronson wouldn't verify them at the very least as an unofficial reseller. DearyLeZing must buy in bulk. Looks like Bronson themselves used to have a store at AE but no longer do so, maybe they want to distance themselves?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've picked up one or two things on Aliexpress, nothing of great value. Only had a problem with one seller. I ordered a couple of Bog Dong caps in separate orders. One arrived but was a size too small and unwearable. The other delivery was of a vaguely similarish (but different design) one-size-fits-all type cap that I could wear, but didn't like. AliExpress' resolution system gave me a full refund for the first one, with no expectation of return (it's still sitting here in my office a few years later, I'll eventually find somebody whose kid will appreciate it and send it their way). The other - I assume because I could technically wear it, even though it wasn't what I ordered - they offered a partial refund, or send it back. I opted for sending it back to be out just the postage (which was less). Sent it to the address the seller gave, they claimed it never arrived, but Ali Express ruled in my favour when I provided proof of postage. (Ironically, it turned up on my doorstep again three months later with a note attached to the effect the shipping address the seller had given me wasn't enough..... who knows what went on. I gave it to the local charity shop, and they got a few quid for it, so.) Other sellers have been great - I had a leaky fountain pen arrived once; the seller on receipt of a photo and explanation of my problem sent me a new one immediately without returning the other, and I kept the leaker for spares.

Bottom line..... I've found as a rule most sellers in China are honest, but there are a number of cultural quirks that you need to adapt to. One is that they might well send you something they think is close enough if they're out of stock for what you ordered. Another is it's common for them to use photos for reference, and you may or may not get something that is that or a close approximation of it (common for the type of things that are made to order, like a leather jacket: sometimes you could be the first person who ordered that model from them, and that's when they find out if their confidence they could replicate is it misplaced....). And so on. It's also possible that they could be offloading seconds - and hey, you're getting it cheap, so.....

Unless you're dealing with a particular trusted seller on Ali express, personally I'd treat it as best just for knick nacks. For something like a Bronson cap, best stick to eBay (where it's generally not markedly more expensive anyhow ime). I've dealt with this guy - https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/vtgdr?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211 and always been pleased.

shopkin

Familiar Face
Why would AE bother to import them from Spain when they can have someone knock them off locally for much less. Unless, of course, Bronson manufactures in China and is headquartered in Spain..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve S