Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British designer decries "scruffy" British men.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The comments were mostly negative, with a handful that agreed. It would be good to see more people dressing nicer in general though, incorporating more dress shirts, slacks, ties, even suits and overcoats. More hats, especially fedoras, homburgs, bowlers, newsboys, flatcaps, and such would be a pleasant sight to see on the streets, although I don't berate those that choose to wear baseball caps if they simply happen to like them, it's just that it's a bit annoying that most people assume it's the only type of hat they can wear. But as a matter in fact, I wouldn't mind it if most people wore a cowboy hat to go with those jeans of theirs. After all, originally jeans were technically western wear, right? Levi Strauss inventing denim trousers for gold miners...

Pompidou

One Too Many
If he has any effect on the general public at all, it'll be to his dismay. The sort of "Why can't things just be like when I was growing up?" lectures almost never win converts. Why should they? The author doesn't dress like his grandfather did, most likely. Times change. Formal yesterday, formal today and formal tomorrow are all formal, just different. If there's a particular look that people want to be stylish again, they won't achieve that goal with soap box speeches on the good old days. Doing that just rallies the opposition in solidarity against you.

Honestly, I don't see why everyone would want to strive to look just like everyone else. I suppose walking into a room where you fit in to a T is good for the self esteem, but it'd be just as good for everyone to go into the room dressed like individuals and work on the self esteem issues where they feel awkward when they feel different. Striving for a world of conformity is just a band aid for underlying self esteem issues - not for everyone, of course, but for a good percent, I think.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
On a related note, while browsing the web, I found a pretty interesting blog or article based around suit wearing in the workplace. It's an interesting read, if to see what others thing of suits in general...

http://blogmaverick.com/2007/01/16/why-i-dont-wear-a-suit-and-cant-figure-out-why-anyone-does/

The reaction here is mostly (and overwhelmingly I might add) negative towards the wearing of suits. It seems that these people don't find them comfortable for some reason, but really when it comes down to it, it may have been their choice of fabrics (polyester), low armholes, or too tight or too loose of a fit. In all seriousness, I have read at least several comments stating that wearing t-shirts and jeans in the workplace is supposed to be better for creativity...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hilarious, especially the comments. Everyone's got a point, tho, except maybe the 'tick' who suggested that Tories eff off.

I liked Charlotte's comments which included, 'Also, the insistence that you can’t possibly dress decently whilst maintaining your focus on important intellectual and cultural issues suggests something of a lack of mental capacity.' Brilliant.

Pompidou

One Too Many
On a related note, while browsing the web, I found a pretty interesting blog or article based around suit wearing in the workplace. It's an interesting read, if to see what others thing of suits in general...

http://blogmaverick.com/2007/01/16/why-i-dont-wear-a-suit-and-cant-figure-out-why-anyone-does/

The reaction here is mostly (and overwhelmingly I might add) negative towards the wearing of suits. It seems that these people don't find them comfortable for some reason, but really when it comes down to it, it may have been their choice of fabrics (polyester), low armholes, or too tight or too loose of a fit. In all seriousness, I have read at least several comments stating that wearing t-shirts and jeans in the workplace is supposed to be better for creativity...

Only wearing t-shirts and jeans is as good for creativity as only wearing suits. The problem back in the day with suits, and today with t-shirts and jeans isn't the outfits. It's the mentality that, "I have to wear the same thing everyone else is wearing." In a perfect world, people would wear whatever strikes their fancy. If that's a full blown white tie and top hat tuxedo attire, that'd be great. If it's pajamas or a pair of sweats and some sneakers, just as good. Outfits should be an expression of who you are, and for as long as I can look back, I'm pretty sure it's fairly artificial. It'd be interesting to see what culture is, if fashion/style was the conglomerate effect of millions of individuals rather than the dictation to the masses from an influential few.

EDIT: @Rue - His english isn't all that bad - better than average, really. Sure, small numbers are supposed to be spelled out, and there're a few missing commas, but not enough to dismiss his point entirely.

Last edited:

rue

I get what you're saying Pompidou. My problem today is the lack of wearing what is appropriate to a situation. My husband wears a pair of shorts and a t-shirt in the summer or a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt or sweater in the winter when he's off work and I don't have a problem with it, but when we go out to dinner, to a wedding, a funeral, etc..... he dresses according to the occasion. For example, pajamas belong at home and not in public, but more and more often I see people wearing them in a store. I think people have lost pride in their appearance.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This is really a pet peeve of mine. WHY do people think that they should start a tread with one line and a link? Come ON guys. Give us a summary of the article and some analysis. What are we here The TWITTER Lounge? Seriously.
Seriously? Get with the Zeitgeist, bud. Summary and analysis are for stuff that makes you grades or money. The culture is for soundbites and stereotyping, or at the very most, pointless depression-inducing online bickering that stands in for politics, gender, generation, region, and never looks for resolution or agreement, just an endless series of one-ups.

Never mind that the culture is the place we will have to live the rest of our lives. It's not going to get any serious attention from folk of good will. Probably because they know intuitively that once we open our eyes to the culture, inevitably will come the culture war, and they don't want the guilt of starting it.

Sometimes I think we ought to get the culture war over with sooner than later. It's the only war I would ever volunteer for, because the choice of whether you get brainwashed in basic training is yours alone.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Seriously? Get with the Zeitgeist, bud. Summary and analysis are for stuff that makes you grades or money. The culture is for soundbites and stereotyping, or at the very most, pointless depression-inducing online bickering that stands in for politics, gender, generation, region, and never looks for resolution or agreement, just an endless series of one-ups.

That's why the Lounge exists. We're an outpost for those who refuse to be a part of that culture -- and those who insist on dragging that culture in here generally don't last very long.

Turn off the TV. Delete the news-blog bookmarks. Ignore the tabloids. Buy a new hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe