Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
My Dad would wear his fedora with the brim up, My Mom made him wear his hats that way because she said he looked like a mobster when he snapped the brim down in front.

I think it came from the W.W.II years when they first met, my Dad worked for a jukebox & vending machine company during the war, the guys that owned the company were all ex-prohibition gangsters that sort of went legit. ("Youze guys need a jukebox in your bar")

I'm guessing the old man wore his brim snapped down when he was working there,.."collecting".:fedora:;)

riccardo

Practically Family
Absinthe_1900 said:
My Dad would wear his fedora with the brim up, My Mom made him wear his hats that way because she said he looked like a mobster when he snapped the brim down in front.

I think it came from the W.W.II years when they first met, my Dad worked for a jukebox & vending machine company during the war, they guys that owned the company were all ex-prohibition gangsters that sort of went legit. ("Youze guys need a jukebox in your bar")

I'm guessing the old man wore his brim snapped down when he was working there,.."collecting".:fedora:;)

Hi,
my father in the 1955 worked with jukebox flipper and other machine!!!!
Happy to meet you.

Riccardo.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
My version of 'hat psychology"

Everyone is different as to their likes when wearing a hat. However, here's a few pointers:

If you wish to seem mysterious, hard, aloof, introverted, etc. then wear the brim at an angle and down low on the brow. This is the "cool" look.

If you want to be approachable, extroverted, easy-going and fun-loving wear it straight and higher above the brow so that you aren't hiding your face.

Finally, if you want to be comic, joking, funny, the party attraction, then wear the hat on the back of your head, and if it's a brimmed hat, snap the brim up all the way around.

I hope this helps.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
In the 1934 movie "It Happened One Night" Clark Gable wears his fedora all of the above ways...depending on his mood. I call it Hattitude. Brim down in front looking cool and sexy, brim up in front (with a pipe) looking approachable and intelligent, brim down all around when he was out hitch hiking...heck, he even used his fedora as a pillow when he was sleeping!

A man's hat used to be another method of self-expression. Still is, to my way of thinking.

Doh!

One Too Many
Normally, I'm a down front/up back sort of guy... BUT last night it rained here like a son-of-a-gun -- so it was down all the way around to keep my neck dry!

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

Remember the scene in The Big Sleep where Marlowe is about to enter Geiger's antiquarian bookshop, and for added authenticity as a nerdy college professor snaps the brim up?

But another point is the choice of side, for those who tilt their hats and/or draw it down on one side in the front. For some reason, I automatically draw it down to my right eyebrow, but most people seem to prefer the left. This is strange - I'm right-handed like most people.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The brim depends on the hat. My two Akubra federations they are snap down in front. My Biltmore more off to the side. Akubra Military usually all down. But I can, and have, done any.
I usually have my hat tilted in the direction of the sun. You know for protection.
Johnny

WEEGEE

Practically Family
STINGY TIME

UP UP AND AWAY.

thelonious_monk_2.jpg

duggap

Banned
For some time I have preferred the raw edge to a brim. But I ordered a hat from Art and forgot to tell him to leave it raw and it came back with a binding. The hat is really a beauty. I have always felt a bound brim was too dressy. But I am starting to change my mind as I really like this new hat. What are your favorites and why?:)

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have always preferred a bound brim. I think it makes a fedora look sharper and it reinforces the brim edge on a Western or field hat. I've grown so accustomed to them that I would hesistate to buy an unbound brim.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
duggap said:
For some time I have preferred the raw edge to a brim. But I ordered a hat from Art and forgot to tell him to leave it raw and it came back with a binding. The hat is really a beauty. I have always felt a bound brim was too dressy. But I am starting to change my mind as I really like this new hat. What are your favorites and why?:)

You don't feel the bound brim is any "dressier" than their raw brim counterparts?

Havana said:
I have always preferred a bound brim. I think it makes a fedora look sharper and it reinforces the brim edge on a Western or field hat. I've grown so accustomed to them that I would hesistate to buy an unbound brim.
A Western hat with a bound brim?! I didn't realize such an animal existed (figuratively speaking of course....I'm not implying the beaver used to make a bound brim is different than one used to make a raw edge lol)

indycop said:
My only bound brim is from Art and I like it. My next one will also be bound.:)
Will your next hat be bound brim for the sake of variety (since you only have one), or is it because you're beginning to prefer them?

Sorry for the interrogation guys, just trying get a grasp before spending my money.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mustang said:
Will your next hat be bound brim for the sake of variety (since you only have one), or is it because you're beginning to prefer them?
A little of both, I like the bound brim, granted mine is not the wide bounding. It does seem a little dressier but for me khakis and a button shirt is dressy most of the time.[huh] :eusa_doh: I Don't think they are so dressy that they are formal though.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken