Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon Discussion Thread

Alfons

New in Town
I'm also tired of Scotch-snobs in bars who discard a good bourbon. An unspeakable name, does not make a good drink.

After a little personel tasting my raking:

5. Markers Mark: really not my taste. I gave the full bottle away
4. Canadian Club: Its OK, no headaches, great for mixing on a very low price
3. Bulleit Bourbon: Better den Jack, but a lack of specialness.
2. Jameson. Nice, rich and my 2. favorite
1. Gentleman Jack. For me simply the best. I love the mellowed smoothness.

Here a Whiskey and Cigar evening at the weekend (The Balmoraltube is just for storing the Dominicocigar

Attachments

• IMG_20240713_190437_392.jpg
    IMG_20240713_190437_392.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You‘re right, much spooky Scotch out there, especially not too few blends.
On the other side there are also legions of generic fantasy/fancy labeled MGP-Whiskeys and -Spirit Allsorts out there.

My current Bourbon chart would go like this:

1. Some Buffalo Trace brands like Blanton‘s, Eagle Rare…

2. Anything Wild Turkey

3. Some Jim Beam derivates like Booker‘s, Baker‘s…

4. Anything Woodford Reserve…

5. Anything Jack Daniel‘s beyond 43% abv.

Cheers

Turnip

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agree. There are plenty of good bourbons out there that are reasonably priced. I hate the snob factor. In fact, it recently dawned on me that I prefer Jack Daniel’s to some much more expensive contenders.

I’m the snob. Been drinking since before I was a teen. Some casual drinkers never develop a taste beyond Jack & Coke, or CC & 7. Drink neat & repeat. So many good whiskies, so little time.
I was in a bourbon tasting bar in Kentucky back in September. I spent so much money the owner gifted me an autographed copy of the 2023 Whisky Bible......the only thought I had at the time was I better up my drinking or I shall never even make a dent in the wide world of whisk(e)y.

Last edited:
I was in a bourbon tasting bar in Kentucky back in September. I spend so much money the owner gifted me an autographed copy of the 2023 Whisky Bible......the only thought I had at the time was I better up my drinking or I shall never even make a dent in the wide world of whisk(e)y.
Exactly! Enjoy the journey.

I prefer a Ribeye, a Porterhouse, or a Tomahawk steak over a Sloppy Joe, burger, or a meatloaf anyday. I’m a real snob.

Exactly! Enjoy the journey.

I prefer a Ribeye, a Porterhouse, or a Tomahawk steak over a Sloppy Joe, burger, or a meatloaf anyday. I’m a real snob.
I have long been a whisky person, not bothering to investigate the bourbon world. My trip to Kentucky was a real eye opener to an entire new world. There are some very exciting bourbons being made in them parts. I am now torn between another trip to Scotland or delay that for a further visit to Kentucky.

I have long been a whisky person, not bothering to investigate the bourbon world. My trip to Kentucky was a real eye opener to an entire new world. There are some very exciting bourbons being made in them parts. I am now torn between another trip to Scotland or delay that for a further visit to Kentucky.
Lots of good craft whiskies available today. You might enjoy working your way thru some of the new American Single Malts. Not having peat to dry the barley my favorites are using mesquite wood instead, producing a nice Islay-like malt.

Lots of good craft whiskies available today. You might enjoy working your way thru some of the new American Single Malts. Not having peat to dry the barley my favorites are using mesquite wood instead, producing a nice Islay-like malt.
We travelled for 17 days in TN, NC and KY so the 5 days in Lexington only allowed us to scratch the surface of the whiskey offerings. We attempted to visit Buffalo Trace the day spent in Frankfort but it was like a Black Friday at the Mall even though it was a Thursday noon in September. The lineup just to pay for the purchases was 45 minutes long, the parking lot full.

We bailed and spent the afternoon in a newly opened Whiskey Bar right downtown Frankfort. The owner was brilliant, super knowledgeable about bourbon and as we were the only patrons we received his undivided attention. He asked our budget, our preferences and then curated numerous tasting flights. We took a break for a bite to eat, came back for a second round. That was our real intro into the world of bourbon and we very much desire to return, base ourselves out of Frankfort and do a decent job on distillery visits. A deeper dive, as it were!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton