Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK Surrogates/Californian jacket

zhz

Practically Family
It looks as though it probably fits exactly as you'd want it to, you must be delighted. And from what you've said it sounds like the weight of that leather is perfect for a jacket like this , I really can't wait for mine to land

the liberty HH is not heavy and not as stiff as BK badalassi cow hide, really comfortable. Best hide I own so far.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Great fit...but is the right sleeve bigger around than the other..?
HD

Like monitor says the sleeve was just flattened.

@monitor the t-shirt is a uniqlo and has all the symbols that represent NYC

@ProteinNerd it's Tony Nowak pattern.

I'm quite please on how the jacket fit.

Cooperson

One Too Many
That's a good fit, shoulders and sleeves are perfect and the back length is spot on for the Bruce Willis surrogates pattern. Enjoy!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I don't have that much.

Right now I own :
4 TNO
1 Lost Worlds
2 Pegasus
1 Wested
1 Territoire of Redskins
And now 1 BK.

I also had a 1930 HB from Aero but I could stand their FQHH too stiff for me and I always had back and neck pains when wearing the jacket.

During winter I'll go with my LW peacoat or my vintage WWII peacoat

The rest of the year I have often on my back my TNO Raiders in shrunken lamb, but I think it will change for my BK surrogates ;-)

Last edited:

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
My lost world is in goatskin, best goatskin I ever owned, as thick as their lightest HH but really butter soft.

A really nice leather.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I also had a 1930 HB from Aero but I could stand their FQHH too stiff for me and I always had back and neck pains when wearing the jacket.

I absolutely know what you mean. With heavy 3oz + steer and HH from aero and AL this has been my experience too. I've generally found that the neck and back discomfort kicks in after a few hours of wear, and that once it starts it doesn't go away rather it gradually increases until you reach the point where you're just longing to get home and take it off. I've found the same to be true even when the thing is completely broken in and have been forced to conclude that this type of leather - as good looking as it is - is not suitable for leather jackets. Motorcycle jackets are a different kettle of fish I assume, but for me who doesn't ride, whilst I agree that CXL looks great IMHO no leather jacket is worth enduring discomfort for - and I've been through enough now to know that they are uncomfortable if worn for long enough. In my view a leather jacket is supposed to be comfortable and casual and given the good looking alternatives that are comfortable and readily available in today's market I personally see no further need for it in my wardrobe. Shoes, belts, and bags yes, but jackets no. This is partly why I'm now very fond of goatskin I guess, and why I'm very much looking forward to trying out shinki HH (long wait ahead) and this Liberty from BK. I'd also be very interested to test out their capeskin too. It would seem I am gravitating towards vegetable tanned hides these days, I'd also quite like to try out something veg tanned from thedi!

jon11

A-List Customer
Thedi make great stuff as well Schitzo. I agree totally with the above comments. These heavy duty leathers not for me as well. Thank you, SpeedRcrX for your input re Lostworlds Goatskin.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Some photo of my Surrogates after 3 months.

DSC04026.jpg

DSC04030.jpg

The area where I wear my shoulder bag

DSC04035.jpg

DSC04034.jpg

I really love this jacket !

A-1

One Too Many
Two words: Beauty Full!!!
I love the red undertones in your jacket. This is what makes it really special to me.
Congratulations.
I like the updates! Keep it coming.

bbq

Familiar Face
I really like your jacket, how the leather has broken in, and what you said about the fit in your original post. Is this a midweight HH? In what temperatures do you wear the jacket? I'm looking for a jacket to wear when it's over 70 degrees F (20 degrees C).

I tried to find the jacket on the Bill Kelso site and couldn't. I'm new at this so I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Thanks gents for your compliments.

The Liberty horsehide is a mid weight leather.

At the moment in France during the afternoon it's around 15°C and it's perfect to wear the jacket.

Over 20°C I don't know if I'll keep wearing this jacket, wear something lighter or switch for my Shackleton vest.

Go on their Facebook page and search for their Californian / Surrogates jacket you will find some photos.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mid weight varies - At Aero it is 2.2oz at Kelso I understand it's 3oz. Which in my book is at the start of the heavy weights. Looks fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe