Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bill kelso

schitzo

Suspended
By himself? Well, in that case, I apologize and deeply so. Didn't know that. Man's got my respect, then. Figured it's a company, like any other.

I see. No bother then. They're actually closer to 1.5. Unfortunately JC is too damned good and so though he'd like to take on help apparently it's nigh on impossible to find anyone who can maintain his standards. As you may have gathered from the other thread, the customer service is pretty **** hot too ergo it seems there are plenty of dudes willing to wait 18 months. As I see it, if you know you'll like leather jackets in a year and a half's time then not joining this queue is a stranger decision than joining, if you catch my drift

Worf

I'll Lock Up
A John Chapman jacket is like a Hattori Honzo sword. Better get in line ;)

Couldn't put it any better myself. Occaisionally J.C. has some used items or non-sellers that can be had fairly quickly BUT they are rare as hen's teeth. I'm sure he's been offered various ways to increase production, but if it might compromise quality? He doesn't do it. Some folks would rather be "right" than "rich". My hat (and money) is off to the guy!

Worf

bretron

Call Me a Cab
And per BK's most recent FB post, they're running on one sewing machine too. That half-Italian Greek guy must be keeping busy :D

Yeah, true... Should check my facts next time. :D
That being the case, I'd probably be in the line too, if I was into flight jackets. And whether or not increased production might compromise quality, I'd rather if they wouldn't mess with their business model as it is cause this way, only the most dedicated folk will get their jackets while the others who want a 'quick' fix have plenty of other options to go with.
It's sad reading all that stuff about Red Tails. I'm sure the man went above and beyond to get every single jacket just right, for such a POS movie. They should've went with Wilsons, would've made no difference. It would be cheaper, at least.

schitzo

Suspended
Yeah, true... Should check my facts next time. :D
That being the case, I'd probably be in the line too, if I was into flight jackets. And whether or not increased production might compromise quality, I'd rather if they wouldn't mess with their business model as it is cause this way, only the most dedicated folk will get their jackets while the others who want a 'quick' fix have plenty of other options to go with.
It's sad reading all that stuff about Red Tails. I'm sure the man went above and beyond to get every single jacket just right, for such a POS movie. They should've went with Wilsons, would've made no difference. It would be cheaper, at least.

He does the best civilian jackets too! Check out the Californian series here: http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/

From what I understand, John is working with Diamond Dave to get some jackets made up for quicker "off the rack" purchase. Even with the crazy combined talent of the two, these things take some time to get worked out correctly. But if Thor's jacket was a DD, it seems to be getting close. :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I assume the trick to mastering the GW waiting list is to already have a small collection or to purchase other jackets in that year's time to keep you busy.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
From what I understand, John is working with Diamond Dave to get some jackets made up for quicker "off the rack" purchase. Even with the crazy combined talent of the two, these things take some time to get worked out correctly. But if Thor's jacket was a DD, it seems to be getting close. :)

From pictures, I'd argue DD makes a slightly more appealing cafe racer type. Both are amazing, but DD has the motorcycle thing just about perfected.

GregO

One of the Regulars
From pictures, I'd argue DD makes a slightly more appealing cafe racer type. Both are amazing, but DD has the motorcycle thing just about perfected.

I have a DD racer. Both DD's and Chapman's racers are J100 repros. I am happy with the DD jacket -- the quality is excellent. That said, I've seen the GW in person, and the quality is even higher - but I'm not sure how much it matters. The GW was perfect, literally. Every damn stitch was flawless. My DD has a few stitches here and there that aren't arrow-straight, but you only notice it if you're actually inspecting the thing looking for flaws. I put DD about on par with Aero. The GW isn't really in another league. Its the difference between near perfect and perfect. But you also pay for it. A DD will run you about $1000 with shipping, and one of Chapman's will run you about $1600 with shipping (and an 18 month wait). Is it worth the extra $600 and year-and-a-half? For some people, yes. For others, no. All that said, of all of the jackets I've seen over the years, nothing has topped a GW. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm not on the wait list yet...

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
funny to see where this 'Bill Kelso' thread has ended up. In fairness to the OP, it's quite possibly he has a GW A2 too.. do you Kojax?

thor

Call Me a Cab
If/when the GW/DD partnership bears fruit (ready-made, off the rack A-2's in standard sizes), I would highly recommend them as an option. The one-off "sample" I recently received is a unique, special creation that reflects real skill and craftsmanship.
For the record, I also own a BK, an ELC and a LW. All good. Also used to own an original WWII russet Cable A-2; there's just something about the GW (DD) jacket that feels "right" and authentic to me.

Last edited:
To answer the original question...it took approximately 18 months for my BK A2 to arrive.

A John Chapman jacket is like a Hattori Honzo sword. Better get in line ;)

Yep.
John does it all. Raw material selection/travel, pattern research, manufacturing, new designs. He has one assistant....Vickie...who handles the emails/paperwork. That in itself must be a full time job.
John has tried to train assistants to help with the manufacturing.....hasn't found anybody that panned out.
GW contacts you just before John starts on your jacket. You can change your original order specs ..contract, leather, measurements, etc.....right up to the time the jacket is made.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Jeff, we all followed your trials and tribulations with BK and I am happy that you got your jacket. Hopefully it's a nice garment and you can start wearing and enjoying it. Wear it in good health :D

carl1000

New in Town
I'm getting ready to order this exact jacket/color from BK. They look amazing.

10286863_789717624391864_4575771576383598183_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82