Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "hat movie" ever?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
"Capone". Starring Ben Gazzarra, Harry Guardino, and Young Stallone. Not a good film, mediocre, but some great lids! Watch Capone's hats, and Johnny Turrio's brown hat! They're great! IMHO

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
The best hat Movie for me: "The man From Snowy River"

As my forum name suggests I am an Australian hat fan and The Man From Snowy River is a all Australian hat festival. This movie introduced me to the Australian hat and I have had a love affair with the Outback working man's hat. A lot of people also think of Crocodile Dundee when they think of the Australian Hat. But both movies feature different models of Akubra hats. Cheers

SnowyRiver1.jpg

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
If "hat movie" is judged by number of hats per screen shot, then the best hat movie is "Guys and Dolls" with Brando and Sinatra. Beautiful and diverse hats. It is also a pretty good movie.

stibbons

New in Town
I recently re-watched The Man Who Wasn't There, and kept saying to myself "wow, what an awesome hat!".

Billy Bob Thornton's hat, especially, is great. I'd love a lid that looked like that, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the diamond bash just right.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Once Upon a Time in America. I just watched it for the first time. What an amazing movie. It has an enormous collection of caps and fedoras and all of them look great.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
A Face in The Crowd

Elia Kazan's 1957 A Face in the Crowd, starring Patricia Neal and, of all people, Andy Griffith, is an incredible hat movie. From the very first scene, there is barely a moment in the film without multiple hats onscreen. The action moves from rural Arkansas to Memphis to NYC and LA. Lots of ORs, lots of ornate-ribbon fedoras.

And if you only know Andy Griffith from television, you might get a shock. He plays a pretty loathsome character in this one. This film is about the potential power of television, and abuse of that power. Pretty prescient stuff, and great hats too...

1911 Man

A-List Customer
carter said:
COOL!

Now all we need are newsreels and cartoons.

Any good hat cartoons out there?

Why yes there is. On a two disc special edition of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", it includes a bugs bunny cartoon that involves BB trying to get a penguin to the North Pole. It depicts a grubby man in a grubby fedora, who looks and sounds a lot like Bogart, repeatedly walking on screen, and asking Bugs, "Excuse me, could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

CopperNY

A-List Customer
tracyam said:
Once Upon a Time in America. I just watched it for the first time. What an amazing movie. It has an enormous collection of caps and fedoras and all of them look great.

one of my favorites as well. i must have seen it ten times before it sunk in that it was Sergio Leone! i personally think it rivals the Godfather for "best mob movie".

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
That is an awesome hat indycop. I had a mexican palm shaped just like it, but for the life of me can't remember what happened to it. It's also a great movie, Tom Selleck is one of my favorite actors and is great in western roles.

carter

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
I love the cowboy hats of that era Carter.
Make that [at least] two of us. The picture from Destry Rides Again shows so many different styles; a tophat, a bowler, pencil roll brims, all kinds of creases, and none looks like it just came out of a box. The clothing is pretty amazing as well.

Garrett, I counted 31 hats in that picture.

carter said:
Make that [at least] two of us. The picture from Destry Rides Again shows so many different styles; a tophat, a bowler, pencil roll brims, all kinds of creases, and none looks like it just came out of a box. The clothing is pretty amazing as well.

Garrett, I counted 31 hats in that picture.
How do you do a pencil roll brim? Really short pencil???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe