Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Behind door number three...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:
Sometimes I email the seller and ask them to take measurements, but with this one I just decided to take a chance.

When I'm looking at an ambiguous description/photos I'll weigh whether to ask or not... sometimes I'll opt to take a chance rather than have the question answered and the answer posted on the auction if I think the answer might make the hat more attractive to other bidders.

Just part of the game that is eBay! :D

Regards,
Tom

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yep, I do the same thing!
Nikki
Tango Yankee said:
When I'm looking at an ambiguous description/photos I'll weigh whether to ask or not... sometimes I'll opt to take a chance rather than have the question answered and the answer posted on the auction if I think the answer might make the hat more attractive to other bidders.

Just part of the game that is eBay! :D

Regards,
Tom

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Not so sure...

...it looks like it might be a little small for you. But it would probably fit me perfectly! :)

Seriously, great find, and it looks great on you!

ideaguy

One Too Many
On that Resistol Ten... I happened into the same kind of situation last week;
bid on a hat that was advertised as a Stetson; the seller (after taking my money) wrote to say that the hat was indeed a Resistol, not a Stetson...
a Resistol 50, as printed on the logo on the liner. I take a 7 3/8, the hat was
repeat-was- a 7 1/4; now have the smoothest, sleek silverbelly 7 3/8, clean as a whistle...all it took was steaming and plunking down on the aluminum hat stretcher-and they can be had cheap-get one not electrified anymore, steam the hat until it's ready to be stretched, and with the other hand, heat the stretcher with a hair dryer all around, as warm as you can get it-stuff the crown of the hat with tissue, raise the brim, and plunk that lid down, turn the crank, and wait patiently (sure...) for 24 hrs. min. extract that "size too small" hat-
and voila-betcha it fits just fine, and it won't ever see the shelf reserved for wannabes... my hat came out like brand new-at less money than the shipping to a good hatter. And now, it fits.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
ideaguy said:
repeat-was- a 7 1/4; now have the smoothest, sleek silverbelly 7 3/8, clean as a whistle

Those Resistol 50s are beautiful hats. Great felt.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
ideaguy said:
On that Resistol Ten... I happened into the same kind of situation last week;
bid on a hat that was advertised as a Stetson; the seller (after taking my money) wrote to say that the hat was indeed a Resistol, not a Stetson...
repeat-was- a 7 1/4; now have the smoothest, sleek silverbelly 7 3/8, clean as a whistle...all it took was steaming and plunking down on the aluminum hat stretcher-and they can be had cheap-get one not electrified anymore, steam the hat until it's ready to be stretched, and with the other hand, heat the stretcher with a hair dryer all around, as warm as you can get it-stuff the crown of the hat with tissue, raise the brim, and plunk that lid down, turn the crank, and wait patiently (sure...) for 24 hrs. min. extract that "size too small" hat-
and voila-betcha it fits just fine, and it won't ever see the shelf reserved for wannabes... my hat came out like brand new-at less money than the shipping to a good hatter. And now, it fits.

I have one of those aluminum hat stretchers, too. Isn't it great to see something work like that? Be prepared, though, if you leave the sweat band in the hat (while stretching), sooner or later you will split a sweatband. I've lost count of how many I've split. (The upside is, most of the time, you can still wear the hat.) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
... sooner or later you will split a sweatband. I've lost count of how many I've split. (The upside is, most of the time, you can still wear the hat.) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Have you tried shoe stretch spray on the sweat? It does work.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Rick Blaine said:
Have you tried shoe stretch spray on the sweat? It does work.

Thank-you. I'll certainly keep it in mind. The sweatbands I've had split were usually older ones. They either had a certain level of "dry rot" or they were made of "bonded" leather whose bonding agent had broken down.

The product you recommend would have a definite advantage, however, with leather bands which are not already fragile. :) :eusa_clap

Spellflower

Practically Family
Once again, thanks for all the compliments. Someone was asking about brim width, and by my measurement, it's a 2.5" bim all around, and it does seem smaller than my Whippet's brim.

As much as I love the Whippet, I have to say that this hat suits me even better. This is the hat I've been looking for since I started wearing fedoras. This is the hat I always hoped to find. The dimensions and color are just perfect for me. If I ever win the lottery, I will be sending this hat to Art and asking him to make me a few more (though, alas, the Guild edge will have to be left out of the equation.)

As for Stretching, I'm very interested in your experiences, as I would LOVE to be able to wear my Resistol Ten. It's got the most amazing texture, unlike any other felt I have, just really soft and supple. Creasing it is a real sensory experience. AND it's new old stock, and so in perfect condition. I'd like to stretch it with the sweat in. It only needs to go from 7 1/4 to 7 3/8- do you think I can do that? If I'm really patient? I just bought a vintage wood stretcher, and I was planning on using Lexol on the underside of the sweat. I'll also take Ideaguy's advice and steam it. Any other tips?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007