Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Behind door number three...

Spellflower

Practically Family
Sometimes it's hard to resist taking a chance on a poorly listed hat on ebay. A picture taken from a few states away, no measurements other than size (if you're lucky), and a headline that reads, simply, "fedora". Well, I thought, how bad could it be? It's clearly my color, and he says it's my size. What the hell, I'll bid $50. I won! Then I spent a few days wondering what I'd won. A Dobbs, yes, but what vintage? What condition? True to size?

Well, the box showed up today, and I made myself open all my other mail first, just to prolong the period where it could contain what I wanted it to, and not some beat to heck 70's stingy brim Dobbs that had shrunk two sizes. Finally, carefully, I opened the box, and pulled out, yes, a brown hat.... oooh, soft! Wow, nice color! And it is indeed a Dobbs.
2217780750_22e55416d2.jpg

But does it fit? PERFECTLY! How's it look? Well...
2216986923_61ac503ffa.jpg

2217780908_d341247c2f.jpg

2216986785_5bc54101aa.jpg

Let's look inside and see if there's anything fun under the sweat. Hey, I didn't notice that...
2217780722_2460bbeeaf.jpg

That's right, no more cheapo Tens for me!

Hey, what kind of edge is this? It feels like an overwelt, but where's the thread? Oh my good golly gee! Is that a...
2217780838_240191b209.jpg

CAVANAUGH EDGE!!!

So that's what that other mark on the band says, now that I look at it:
2216986675_9dd90b841a.jpg

All I can say is, WOW!!! This totally made my day! After I don't know how many auctions where things went way over my limit, or I ended up with something totally not what I was looking for, I finally lucked out and won a hat that's pretty darn close to my ideal, all for $51 including shipping!

Okay, sorry to brag- I'll shut up now.:eek:

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Good for you -- that Dobbs is a beauty. Sometimes it's the poorly listed eBay item that turn out to be a real find.

I've had won some great hats taking a chance, then again ... I've gotten some duds.

karol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful hat and the style and brim size and such really suit you.

I am curious. is it a larger size? Because I am surprised a badly photod hat would bring even that much unless it was pretty big or the seller started at that price.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Thanks, everyone! It's strange, I've been scanning ebay and trying my luck from time to time for about a year and a half, and never came up with much. Then, all of a sudden, in the last month I've acquired a Whippet, a gorgeous Resistol Ten (which is a size too small, but too nice to part with), and now this. So take heart, all you who worry you'll never find what you're looking for. With a little patience, you just might get it.

reetpleat, the hat is a 7 3/8. The photos weren't the worst I've seen, but certainly didn't do the hat justice in the least. It looked to me like about a 2.5" brim, which is what I was hoping for, and what it turned out to be. Sometimes I email the seller and ask them to take measurements, but with this one I just decided to take a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007