Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beautiful but one flaw

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
We need to get out there and educate some of these vintage dealers who punch price tags through the crown or brim of felt hats. I keep seeing it over and over again... beautiful hat, though when you turn it around someone had tagged the darn thing like you put a tracking tag on a gator.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The last dealer like this I went to is a hard cookie. He prices too high and knows it. He also has a big store with loads of (mostly '60s and later) inventory, and presumably wants to make sure people don't switch the tags on things. If someone pulled a hole in a hat at home, I'm sure he'd just laugh - he's in it for the dough.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
There's something sadistic about a dealer calling himself "Cheap Jack's" and charging very high prices! That kind of irony is not appreciated. :rage:

Oh its a scary scary store Marc.... there is zero cheap things there...period...everything is terribly overpriced for what it is.....

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks

Y'all saved me from wasting time visiting
that store when I go to NYC later this month.

If anyone knows of a vintage store worth visiting
there do post or PM me.

DOUGLAS

They are mostly all gone. Alice Underground was my favorite. They had great clothing and ties and a good hat every once in a while. The Antique Boutique is also gone. Canal Jeans has died as well as Domseys out in Bklyn. You can check out Starstruck on Greenwich Ave. They have some decent things but they are not cheap either. If you like shoes and ties there is DLClernys on East 7th st. off of Bowery. The owner makes his own 50s inspired clothes but he also sells great ties and pristine shoes from that era. He also may have a few unblocked hats. After a long day of vintage shopping You can stop at McSorleys Ale House right next door for four or six mugs.You can only buy them in twos but after having some cheeze and crackers with onion and their mustard, you may opt for eight or ten mugs. Their mustard with take paint off of wood. It will leave a lasting impression. Get there in the early afternoon that is the best time before the yahoos come.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
places I buy usually punch it through the sweatband. It leaves a hole in the leather, but no one sees that.

feltfan

Sigh... a pint at McSorley's sounds good, though...

Where do all the hats of New York go now? Straight to eBay?

DOUGLAS said:
They are mostly all gone. Alice Underground was my favorite. They had great clothing and ties and a good hat every once in a while. The Antique Boutique is also gone. Canal Jeans has died as well as Domseys out in Bklyn. You can check out Starstruck on Greenwich Ave. They have some decent things but they are not cheap either. If you like shoes and ties there is DLClernys on East 7th st. off of Bowery. The owner makes his own 50s inspired clothes but he also sells great ties and pristine shoes from that era. He also may have a few unblocked hats. After a long day of vintage shopping You can stop at McSorleys Ale House right next door for four or six mugs.You can only buy them in twos but after having some cheeze and crackers with onion and their mustard, you may opt for eight or ten mugs. Their mustard with take paint off of wood. It will leave a lasting impression. Get there in the early afternoon that is the best time before the yahoos come.

DOUGLAS

If you are here on the weekend you can try a flea market and maybe you'll get lucky.

Barry

Practically Family
Jae Jarrell has some hats but her prices are very high. She's nice and it's a neat store though.

Barry

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Douglas , all of the vintage hats in Cheap Jacks were from a store in Jersey City NJ called Modern Hatters . They had two brownstones full of vintage hats . This was seven years ago . If I knew that vintage hats would have been so popular today, I would have bought them myself instead of letting that fool in Cheap Jacks buy the whole lot for 5G's. There were thousands of hats still in their original boxes . Oh well , what can you do.

Steven
Bencraft Hats

MattC

A-List Customer
Deal at Cheap Jacks

When he moved from Broadway a couple of years ago, he did a half price sale. I got a decent olive medium brim hat carrying a Hoboken store brand ("Loyal"), and a wild blue late Dobbs that is fun. But everything I have seen there since is junk.

DOUGLAS

I bought ten or so Selco hats when they were found in a store, Damn thats got to be fifteen years ago or more. I bought a bunch when Starstruck was still on Bleecker. The Family Jewels was also a cool joint. New York was so cool then. You could find anything then.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I scored 4 Selcos from Starstruck myself about that time. Didn't think I'd ever see that many 7 1/2's in one place again. I still have them all - bashed 'em by hand, as all were unshaped.

Someone on the Lounge was saying they're junk. Well, that may be - the felt and sweats are a bit cardboardy, and one is showing a good bit of wear, but I've gotten quite sentimentally attached to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley