Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Brigands (Special Ops) Crete 1941

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'll say it again- I love Crete, it has something special for me- although I can't actually explain exactly what it is- it feels like home. Climbing up a hill, over the dry scoria, cicadas screeching in the dry heat and looking out over the sea- it's a special place for me. The place has so much variety and interest, My wife and I have looked into getting a summer house or share on the island but she thinks it's just a bit too hot for her... :cry:

I'd like to follow the North to South route across the mountains some time- maybe in the next couple of years... you(Harri), me Paddy and who ever else is keen...

B
T

harribobs

New in Town
It is a fantastic place, i find it very hard to explain it's magic (and i'm intriged by it's history)

with reference to that web site link ' http://home.online.no/~vestil/crete/ ' i have been in touch with the owner regarding some pictures of tortured german soldiers (about halfway down the invasion page)

he states on the page that english soldiers did it. he has said to me in email that neither germans nor greeks he has spoke to, think they did, but he doesn't want to change it.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cretan WWII websites...

THANKS guys for the lists of websites on Crete, some absolutely cracking ones!
Chris (Harribobs), the site that you listed has got some great pics, especially of German Paratroopers and Mountain Troops. I know you mentioned one photo of dead soldiers, and yes, I didn't feel particularly comfortable with it, I felt it was unneccessary to have it there and was inappropriate in its content. It did not add anything to the website and personally I wouldn't have published it.
But the others were super photos of a military that at that time thought it was unstoppable. I still wonder why airborne troops were not used in Operation Sea Lion in 1940, as we later used paratroopers to gain a bridgehead in Normandy in 44. Maybe they just didn't have the numbers. Hindsights a great thing too that you don't have the benefit of when you are actually engaging in something.
Tried speaking to Alun the other evening about the expedition to the hills in Crete. Bad timing on my part, caught him in the middle of an barbie as the weather had been superb lately in the UK.

I met up with Reg Manning DFC, the other day. This man has 50 ops under his belt over Europe! Got to look at his flight log book and he showed me the one for Heraklion when he was in the bomber behind Uncle Joe's. He saw it getting hit and 3 parachutes deployed as the plane nose dived to the ground. Only 3 lads got out. Bradley and McFarlane then worked for SOE on the island, but the third seems to have been captured by the Germans. It was a reunion of 76 Squadron and I met some interesting guys in their 80s who were still driving down from the likes of Edinburgh and Wales to get to the reunion. But the numbers dwindle as the years go by. I felt very humbled by them and it was a proud moment to meet Reg.

Also been told by Intelligence ;) that Paddy L-F may be over later in the summer and I might have the chance for dinner, we'll see.

harribobs

New in Town
PADDY said:
the others were super photos of a military that at that time thought it was unstoppable, I still wonder why airborne troops were not used in Operation Sea Lion in 1940, as we later used paratroopers to gain a bridgehead in Normandy in 44..

they really weren't that successful, Crete was a 'Pyrrhic' victory that cost them a lot more in casualties than the allies, they were used in holland with similiar results in 1939. our paratroops in 1944 were used to hold a flank while the seabourne forces got established

I met up with Reg Manning DFC, the other day. This man has 50 ops under his belt over Europe! Got to look at his flight log book and he showed me the one for Heraklion when he was in the bomber behind Uncle Joe's. He saw it getting hit and 3 parachutes deployed as the plane nose dived to the ground. Only 3 lads got out.

Good to hear you enjoyed your visit to see reg manning, our vets are getting few and far between! I have seen a few RAF graves in Souda, they tend to be buried together with the 'stones' touching, you could search the CWGC site to find out who died on that day and where theyre buried

Also been told by Intelligence that Paddy L-F may be over later in the summer and I might have the chance for dinner, we'll see.

lucky you! i'm not part of that circle

I'm off now, have fun with your forum !

cheers

chris

Story

I'll Lock Up
Major General Sandy Thomas says poor leadership shown by Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force commanders on Crete directly led to the loss of the battle for the Mediterranean island in May 1941.

Mr Thomas, 91, has waited 70 years to tell his version of the battle, which involved German General Kurt Student's paratroopers and soldiers from many countries – including Kiwis – out of respect to the descendants of the two New Zealanders he believes contributed significantly to the loss of the battle.

The two men in Mr Thomas's sights are Colonel Les Andrew, VC, the commanding officer of the 22nd Battalion, entrusted with the defence of Maleme Airfield, and Brigadier James Hargest.

Brigadier Hargest was a Southland politician turned soldier who commanded the 5th New Zealand Brigade on Crete.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5003191/Officer-breaks-rank-over-the-Battle-of-Crete

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

cco23i

A-List Customer
OUTSTANDING! I miss Crete, we were sent there 3 years ago for a deployments and I fell in love with the place. I enjoyed the people, the area and especially the history. I found the grave of a relative killed at Souda bay and got a photo of the headstone. Man I miss that island.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken