Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Wolf Dr Who Jacket leather Jacket-just arrived!

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Hi Ray, I have gone in to general settings and tried checking the box to receive emails from other members but I don't think the new setting is holding for some reason. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a glitch in the system? Give it another go and if you can't get through just reply on here.
Thanks
Jaffa

Edward

Bartender
I occasionally see a thread where one of us has bought a jacket like this (which replicates a television or film jacket), anmd sometimes I wond whether part of the problems arise because we tend to have higher expectations than the avaerage punter... For example, if ione of us buys an Indy jacket, chances are it'll be worn hard, as distinct from the cosplay crowd who are buying something that will be worn once a year in a convention centre. Both legitimate markets, but very different requirements...

Hi Jeff M, I have been saving for a black Bad Wolf jacket for a while but am now wondering if their standards have slipped in the three and a half years since I bought my Bad Wolf? I would be as mad as hell if what happened to you happened to me!
So you think Aero is the way to go? Did I read a thread by you saying Aero will make a Dr Who/U-Boat jacket to order or is it their Mariner jacket you are talking about? Have you got any photos?

I contacted Aero after I purchased the "Bad Wolf" jacket asking them of they could do something similar.
They said yes. Basically a combination of their "Mariner" and "Barnstorm" features.

What really got me wondering where "Bad Wolf" makes their jackets was my trip to London. They advertise their jackets are made by a "top end London leather clothing manufacturer" (or something similar).
I figured since I was in London for a couple of weeks, I could drop by the place so I could pick up the jacket...or, if it wasn't done, do a fitting.
I emailed "Bad Wolf" several times before and during my visit to London trying to arrange the visit. I did not hear back from "Bad Wolf" till after I was back in the states.
I could not help but thinking the whole "high end London Leather clothing manufacturer" line was nothing but a farce, and what with how the first jacket came out, that the jackets were made somewhere in Asia.

On several occasions with several different companies I've had to send custom made leather jackets back for a re-do. Those companies never charged me a fee for correcting what were their mistakes.
Bad Wolf was going to charge me for the re-do. Something like $150. (Been awhile now. Not sure of the cost.) This in addition to shipping fees...which, as I recall, were something like 70$ each way.
So...$70 first shipping to me.
$70 back.
$70 return to me.
If I had to return it again...$70 back.
Etc. etc. etc.

When they told me about the $150 re-do fee I told them to just keep the jacket. No sense in throwing good money after bad.
Didn't ask for a refund. By that point in time I was done with them.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I occasionally see a thread where one of us has bought a jacket like this (which replicates a television or film jacket), anmd sometimes I wond whether part of the problems arise because we tend to have higher expectations than the avaerage punter... For example, if ione of us buys an Indy jacket, chances are it'll be worn hard, as distinct from the cosplay crowd who are buying something that will be worn once a year in a convention centre. Both legitimate markets, but very different requirements...

I think that Edward's hit it on the head. You see the 'as seen in' jackets on eBay that just look cheap and nasty, but there are so many out there that it must have some sort of market. Reminds me of an old Melody Maker interview with a 90s band, in which one of them said that he had once sent off for a white duster jacket that was being advertised in the NME as being the same as the one Paul Weller had worn during his Style Council days. When it arrived it was just an old lab coat!
Personally, I'm not keen on the 'jacket as worn by some actor in some film', because on the whole you're unlikely to look as good in it as they did - unless, of course, you have access to a full-time, on-call wardrobe team. Also, there there will always be that nagging feeling of the jacket not being quite accurate in some aspect - just look at the endless fiddling people do with the Indy jacket!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't know how accurate this claim is but on the Doctor Who fan sites I read that Bad Wolf initially consulted with Wested Leather to make the coat and ended up walking away with Wested's pattern which they later tweaked. Regardless, it isn't too much to ask for a TV show reproduction coat to be strong and wearable. Many of the Indy jackets you can get are very well made and robust.

Surferbruce

Familiar Face
Reminds me of an old Melody Maker interview with a 90s band, in which one of them said that he had once sent off for a white duster jacket that was being advertised in the NME as being the same as the one Paul Weller had worn during his Style Council days. When it arrived it was just an old lab coat!

I'm a huge Paul Weller fan!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, his first band The Jam never really broke America, but he's remained kinda of a 'rock institution' in the UK - except for his ill-fated Style Council project, which was nobody's idea of a good band. Not a huge fan myself, but he's okay. [huh]

pipvh

Practically Family
The Jam - pretty life-defining, really, for gents of a certain age. The Style Council - still defining the worst, ass-photocopyingly horrible moments of any given office party.

pipvh

Practically Family
It all went downhill after 'Setting Sons'...

...Anyway, I know it's been said before, but wouldn't it be better/easier/cheaper/100% more authentic to just buy an old German police jacket off the 'bay?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe