Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation Leathercraft Irvin

Deacon211

One Too Many
Got a quick reply from ALC and they said it would be no problem to use the Irvin pattern with the lighter weight skins.

So it's nice to have that option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alsendk

A-List Customer
An ALC Irvin doesn`t look THAT bad after all ;)

FlightJacket_8 (1).jpg

http://chanext.com/flight-jacket/

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
And I have to say, I think the jacket on the model here looks great - I think your wife would like that thinner material - less bulk as Spitfire says. A good call.

Let me know via a PM nearer the time if you'd like me to take a close look and get some photos when I'm at RAF Duxford ... and don't forget to ask ALC for some samples of their fleece. They did that for me back in the day and should still, I think.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Iv owned my alc irvin for 15yrs..love it.doesnt worry me that it has pockets(i asked for them)..or that eastman etc are regarded as much better.i enjoy wearing it just as much as any other jacket i have..prob more when i have to walk the dogs on a freezing cold morning...i have over 30 jackets to choose from..aero.eastman.lost worlds & others...oh & 15years on nothings failed.zips.no flaking of coating..loss of fur..it keeps doing what it was bought to do..keeping me warm..stitch for stitch replicas are all great if thats your thing..but please remember that for some its no big deal...& if i ever had to replace this one i would get pockets again....happy days...brrrrr

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Iv owned my alc irvin for 15yrs..love it.doesnt worry me that it has pockets(i asked for them)..or that eastman etc are regarded as much better.i enjoy wearing it just as much as any other jacket i have..prob more when i have to walk the dogs on a freezing cold morning...i have over 30 jackets to choose from..aero.eastman.lost worlds & others...oh & 15years on nothings failed.zips.no flaking of coating..loss of fur..it keeps doing what it was bought to do..keeping me warm..stitch for stitch replicas are all great if thats your thing..but please remember that for some its no big deal...& if i ever had to replace this one i would get pockets again....happy days...brrrrr

Thanks for that Peter.

I am going to get pockets for my wife in fact. Not accurate, but I have no doubt her cold hands will appreciate it!

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Thanks for that Peter.

I am going to get pockets for my wife in fact. Not accurate, but I have no doubt her cold hands will appreciate it!
Accuracy is great if thats your thing..i have no problem with that...i prefer to be warm in a jacket that suits my needs....your wife will love it....;-)...peter

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I really fancy my side pockets a lot, when it`s cold, regardless of inaccuracy
View attachment 13645

That looks great Alan. Søren used to have one like that which he'd had for years and the patina he'd built up on it was amazing. Think he actually sold it to a member here around 6 years ago. Photos might still be on here in the old Irvin thread.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Yeah Smithy, I believe that Søren went through the whole trip, before settled with an Aces High, which is a really good looking Irvin. Now we just have to wait for Andrew, to finish writing THE book of Irvin`s flying jacket, which in coming won`t be long...i Hope:rolleyes:

27651a.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
So, by way of reference, is that the normal thickness Irvin or the lightweight? It also looks much more broken in than those shown on the ALC website.

Edward

Bartender
Just a thought, but....

The vast majority of us on here aren't seeking to recreate a perfect RAF/USAAF look overall; most of us will only wear these jackets as civilians. To my eye, and based on period photos, sometimes it's the less than 101% accurate military repros that actually are much more representative of the military inspired civilian fashions of the later Forties and into the Fifties... Jus something I've been musing on recently...

Deacon211

One Too Many
Just a thought, but....

The vast majority of us on here aren't seeking to recreate a perfect RAF/USAAF look overall; most of us will only wear these jackets as civilians. To my eye, and based on period photos, sometimes it's the less than 101% accurate military repros that actually are much more representative of the military inspired civilian fashions of the later Forties and into the Fifties... Jus something I've been musing on recently...

Probably very true. It's funny how society gets an impression of what something was like even though it bears little resemblance to the actual historical product.

I'm also a fan of watches, particularly dive watches. My impression (and what the industry has turned into) of the original dive watches is that they were big chunky, manly pieces, spray finished with a thin layer of testosterone and sprinkled with powdered rhino's horn.

But when you actually look at the watches someone like, say Jacques Cousteau, wore, they were tiny; much smaller than today.

But over time the impression of them has changed to something almost completely unrecognizable from the original item.

Funny how that works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe