Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
25 to a carton--that's a pretty good deal. Do they hold up well?

Yes they do. I keep my vintage boxes together as the cardboard is so delicate. I put a picture of me wearing the hat on each side of the box. The boxes pull double duty as right now all my summer hats are in the boxes with their pictures facing outward. An then in the summer all the winter hats go in the boxes.
My wife is OCD on organizing things so it keeps her happy. They also stack nicely with vintage boxes their are so many different sizes and shapes they don't stack that great. I have 75 of the boxes in one closet and it looks neat now.:)

Mononrr

Vendor
Leather Hatband Resewing

Hello All,
I would like to have the hatband reattached to my bowler. The stitching has disentegrated and the hatband is slowly comming loose.

Are there professional hat repair persons to reattach my hatband? Someone recommended by Members?

Thanks,
Dave

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Check out the conversion corral thread. There's a few Lounge members who may be able to do that for you. John Galt, for example, is one I can think of.

insite

New in Town
Hi
I have just a brought a silk top hat with a gold rim it's a Scott & Co, hatters to the late king george v bond st piccadilly, but under that all in the same ink it say's L.Dickinson. (is this the retailer) Now for the best bit under that in the same ink it reads LADY DAY 1939 could this be the jazz singer Billie Holiday's hat or some thing to do with her, HELP:)

Last edited:

Mr.Astor

Banned
Cool---- maybe you got a piece of history! Only one lady day and the time period sounds correct! There are lot of people more qualified than myself on here? try putting it on great British hat makers look around on hats probably page 3 4 5. Love to see it. Welcome to the site, it's fun once you figure out the idiosyncrasies and the eccentric! You will learn a lot.

Jonathan Jones

New in Town
Christy's or AB Henry?

Hello chaps and chapettes!

First off, I'm new here, from London, UK. I have purchased a couple of felts, but I am still very much a novice. I am hoping some knowledgeable soul might be able to help steer me in the right direction...

At the moment I'm after a grey fedora, perhaps in the style of the "Grey Clipper" from Raiders.

I've had a look at some of Christy's current line (they have a tiny shop near Picadilly Circus in London) and I like them, although they are very very soft and pliable, which is not quite what I'm used to. I purchased a couple of lovely fedoras through the Hat Centre in Stamford Hill (lovely, helpful gentleman that runs the place I might add), but they're a lot more firm and sturdy than the Christy's I've fondled.

So as much as I would love to get a custom made fedora, I don't believe there are very many near where I live (Lock&Co and Bates seem pricey for the services they offer, although I have not visited them). So now I'm trying to decide between ordering an Adventurebilt Henry before I emigrate back to America in about a month's time. The AB Henry goes for about £245 (around $400 USD), tax included but with shipping extra, so that puts it pretty much in line with the top of the line custom hats, albeit with a much shorter delivery time (the lovely Stefan at AB assures me they have my size in stock, so the turnaround time is roughly 2-3 weeks). I suspect the Christy's are also factory made, as their alleged turnaround time is roughly 1-2 weeks. Their prices are a little less "deluxe," too-- around £100 ($166).

Just wondering if anyone might have any experience or recommendations? Or perhaps I should just keep what I have and order from a bespoke hatter in the USA like VS, Penman, Leon Drexler, etc.?

I'm a big fan of the Hat Centre obviously, and he does have a lovely high crowned, wide brimmed hat I've had my eye on, but it's got a velvety Melusine finish, which looks wonderful, but I'm not sure it's totally what I want right now.

I appreciate any advice or guidance anyone might be able to offer. Thanks in advance!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Jonathan, of the US Indy hat makers (I have a hat from each) I'd rate them as:

Best Value: Garrison Hatters rabbit version

Best Quality: Penman beaver version

Most Indiana Jones Cred: Adventurebilt

If I were buying today assuming I had the $$, it would be Penman.

Duper

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge Jonathan. Have you looked at the Fed IV offered by Hats Direct? Open crown, two felt choices, and two price points. I think shipping would be fairly quick. I have two of the lesser expensive ones and I am pleased with them. Moonstone is a nice colour.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
If it's an Indy style fedora you're looking for you definitely have a lot of options, especially if $$$ is a factor. As one of the previous posters already suggested a handmade Garrison Indy would be a very good choice in that regard. You get a lot of value for the money, and the hat is handmade to fit you. Garrison has one of the most authentic looking of the Indy hats, and it's very good quality too....

http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hatters_update_2013_002.htm

...or, you could do as I did and by a good quality used Western, (ebay, etsy, i.e.), and have it converted to an Indy style fedora by one of the Lounge members who do that work, ( see Conversion Corral thread ). The hat I'm wearing in my avatar pic was a 4X Resistol Stagecoach that started out as a Western hat. Lounge member, John Galt, did the conversion.

Last edited:

Jonathan Jones

New in Town
Thanks, gents!

I appreciate the simplification, DJH. It seems like there's a bewildering array of choices to be had (thankfully!), and it's hard to judge them via Interwebtube pictures alone... so it's nice to have them distilled down by an expert. :)

And thanks, T-- so that's two votes for Garrison (for saving moulah). I love your conversion, by the way, had wondered about that from seeing your avatar. I wonder if Peter Bros' hats were like that, being essentially a Western hat maker; I've seen a lot of mention of PB fedoras here and there.

Speaking of choices, yes Duper, the Akubra Fed IV is on my list, too. Just thought that shipping from Oz would take too long (via balloon and all that). The Akubra felts look soft, but I imagine they take a beating. Lots of testimony to this fact on here, I imagine!

Anyway, thanks again for the help, all. I fear I am still paralyzed by indecision, but hopefully I'll nail it down soon.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have both the Henry and a beaver Penman. Both VERY nice hats but if you are willing to go $400 for a Henry and are looking for an Indy hat I would stick with Penman. He makes a great hat and is good to work with.
Not to mention you get a custom fit and full beaver felt. Just my $.02

RJR

I have several INDY hats;Penman,Adventurebilt,Akubra- Adventurer&Fed IV,Peters Bros& Garrison.For the money I'd say go for the Garrison.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd avoid the Christies - they're not terrible, but shrinkage can be a problem. I own three Feds and like them a lot - not too stiff, but not floppy either and hold up to UK downpours as well as being excellent value. They take around 14 days from order to arrive. If you've got the money though the Garrison's do look really good.

Majicpwr

New in Town
Does anyone know what a vintage Stetson one hundred is worth?

My friend gave me a vintage Stetson one hundred to put in my yard sale. I figured to post it on the lounge classifieds, but I'm not sure what a fair price for it would be. Can anyone help? I have pictures but haven't figured out how to post them yet.

buler

I'll Lock Up
It depends. Mainly on size and condition. Also, if you have the original case. But it is a highly desired hat. Would be worth the time and effort to ebay it or put it in the classifieds here. Don't yard sale it!

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82