Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Danway Hats By The Frank H. Lee Company

This is a 1939 Frank H. Lee Company hat ad featuring DANWAY Hats. The ad says DANWAY is, "Styled and priced for the young man - $2.95. The Finest hat made at that price…styled with all Lee's flair for becomingness in hats…and all the extra value made possible by Lee's large scale efficient production. For the utmost in becomingness try DANWAY."

EQ1_018Danway1939_zpsfb9ab6ce.jpg

Lee Trinity and size tag behind the sweatband
photo1-653_zps0db93d8a.jpg

photo2-533_zps8fa74630.jpg

Danway size tag. Not exactly the same as the Trinity but looks similar with same paper type and green border.
photo2-194_zps7793d64a.jpg

Last edited:
Out and about yesterday, broke down and had to change a broken water pump belt on the side of the road. Any suggestions for getting some black fingerprints off a light grey hat?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Out and about yesterday, broke down and had to change a broken water pump belt on the side of the road. Any suggestions for getting some black fingerprints off a light grey hat?

Lighter fluid and a bit of brushing might work. Personally I always soak the entire felt in lighter fluid to avoid any rings.

g.durand

One Too Many
I would follow Richard's advice and give the entire hat a naphtha bath to avoid rings or having the material, probably grease, spread. I've tried spot cleaning with camp fuel and it's difficult to control where the stain goes once the felt is dampened with the solvent.

...Any suggestions for getting some black fingerprints off a light grey hat?
I have no idea how well this would work on felt hats (or if it would work at all), so proceed at your own risk.

Several years ago I worked for a local company that sold tires and did minor maintenance and mechanical repairs on vehicles. One day one of our mechanics managed to leave a very noticeable grease spot (old grease, that is--dark and dirty) on the driver's seat of a Cadillac with upholstery that was light in color and very similar to velour; the grease had somehow gotten onto his uniform and transferred to the seat when he sat in the car to back it out of the work bay. The store manager grabbed a clean shop rag and a can of CRC Brakleen off of the shelf, and went to work on the stain. He sprayed it with the Brakleen and let it soak into the stain, dabbed at it with a clean portion of the shop rag, and let it dry (Brakleen evaporates rather quickly). After a few "applications" the stain was completely gone with no discoloration of the material.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Saw a vintage Stratoliner box at an antique mall, but it was smaller than the other hat boxes in the shop--it was long and oval, and a good 2 inches shorter on either side than a typical hat box. Per paths it would have held a really, really small hat, perhaps a child's size. Anyone know what I was looking at?

A

Thanks for the tip Zombie. I'm very familiar with that product, and actually it was my first thought, but I figured it might be prudent to defer to some with a little more experience than me in these matters.

Saw a vintage Stratoliner box at an antique mall, but it was smaller than the other hat boxes in the shop--it was long and oval, and a good 2 inches shorter on either side than a typical hat box. Per paths it would have held a really, really small hat, perhaps a child's size. Anyone know what I was looking at?

A
Sounds like the typical Stratoliner hat box. Was it bluish silver with a canvas strap?

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Indeed it was! It was in pretty solid shape, too; I can go back if anyone's interested. How did the hat fit in the smaller box? It looks like it would have out serious bends in any brim.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Strap and snap were good; some of the other rivets had popped, but the strap was still on, and there was a little denting--not crushing--on the bottom. No guts, though. It's a really cool box; I just had no idea it was small like that.

Thanks for the tip Zombie. I'm very familiar with that product, and actually it was my first thought, but I figured it might be prudent to defer to some with a little more experience than me in these matters.
Oh, absolutely. I'd do the same thing. But if the "tried and true" methods didn't work and my hat was already ruined anyway, I'd be willing to experiment a little on the off chance that it might save the hat; your mileage may vary. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe