Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Astor

Banned
WW 2 German Luftwaffe hat

I saw a German Luftwaffe hat in an antique store it is in very good condition, I don't particularly care to purchase these items, anybody on here have an interest??

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Is there a specific type of thread that's generally suggested for hand sewing a sweatband into a hat? I've got a wool fedora with the sweatband sewn in too high, and I'd like to be able to wear it without it leaving a crease across my forehead. I'm hoping I can get away with just lowering the front half, which is by far the worst section.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Hi

I have searched, but have not found the answer. What are the classic dimensions of the Stetson Whippet? I'm guessing 2.5" brim 5 1/2 - 6" crown. Can anyone confirm.

Thanks in advance.

fedoracentric

Banned
Hi

I have searched, but have not found the answer. What are the classic dimensions of the Stetson Whippet? I'm guessing 2.5" brim 5 1/2 - 6" crown. Can anyone confirm.

Thanks in advance.

"Classic" would be a matter of perspective. I suppose the Whippet came in brim 2-1/2 an awful lot, however early in Whippetry it came in 2-7/8, 2-5/8, 2-3/4 and later in its cycle came in 2-3/8, 2-1/4 and 2. So, what do you mean by "classic"?

The only common denominator about a Whippet is it had a ribbon bound edge, about a 1-1/2 inch ribbon, and was marked Whippet inside either on the sweatband or liner.

Except when it didn't and had a raw edge, an wide ribbon under binding (as opposed to the binding being split evenly top and bottom), or a mode edge--and it came in all three of those at one point or another.

Oh, and the ribbon also bounced around in size.

And later, after the 60s, they stopped putting Whippet on the liner and the sweatband and just put the name on the paper inventory card glued to the sweatband.

So, what do you mean by "classic"?

Stetson were boogers that way.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In the long run, it will stain (grease), but I don't think, it'll harm the sweatband more than it hurts the skin on your head. If it was a big problem, we would see those problems on the vast majority of vintage hats.

John Galt

Vendor
I sometimes use a modern dry wax pomade product, and sometimes a wet wax pomade product. Neither seems to have ever caused foxing of the liner, or damage to the sweatband. Note that I never use a lot of this goop.

"Just a dab'll do ya!"

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone know what kind of tools are needed to set the ring snaps that Schott and older clothing manufacturers use? It's not a pole-type snap which you hammer the pole back to fasten, but it's a double claw/double pin, and the pins bend towards each other and "grab"hold of the male part. Much appreciated!

new2hats

A-List Customer
Do straw hats with a leather handband shrink?

I just bought a new Stetson Bar none and it is too large. I am usually a 7 1/4, and have several Stetson hats and an Akubra hat, and 7 1/4 fits me with all of them (except one other Stetson which is curiously also too large).

This one is large all around, and I was wondering if I should dunk the whole hat and let it dry to shrink it, wear it while my hair is wet just to get the leather band to shrink? Or just sell it.

Last edited:

mmccabe

New in Town
I recently came across a Dobbs Game Bird, size 7 1/4, at an antique mall in PA. Doing on-line research, the examples I see have feathers in the band and one that had feathers that seem to have been woven into the band. The hat I got actually has a pheasant pin with the typical feathers on the hatband. My local haberdasher thinks maybe it was produced for a specific group or event. Any thoughts on how to track it down further? It's not a lid I want for myself necessarily, so if any collector is interested, send a message.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I recently came across a Dobbs Game Bird, size 7 1/4, at an antique mall in PA. Doing on-line research, the examples I see have feathers in the band and one that had feathers that seem to have been woven into the band. The hat I got actually has a pheasant pin with the typical feathers on the hatband. My local haberdasher thinks maybe it was produced for a specific group or event. Any thoughts on how to track it down further? It's not a lid I want for myself necessarily, so if any collector is interested, send a message.

It's not an uncommon pin. The pheasant pin was used on Game Birds from the late-1950s into the early-1960s. The model's style changed pretty much from year to year, so by comparing the actual hat to ads from those years you should be able to narrow down a model year or two.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe