Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cochese

New in Town
Some images of what you are referring to would be helpful to answer the question....

This is more of what I'm referring to. Hat dips down in front and back, raises up on the sides.

large_135004JaxonCrushableFord27.jpg

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
I have a Stetson Stampede, never been worn apparently. It's a bit more of a Western style than I would like. I would like to have it reblocked more like a Stratoliner. I asked Gus Miller at Batsake's if he could do it and he just told me to "bring the hat in". The felt is very stiff. I don't know if that makes a difference. I see a lot of Open Roads on this board that have had the same treatment.

Any thoughts?

I guess I should just take it to Gus.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have a Stetson Stampede, never been worn apparently. It's a bit more of a Western style than I would like. I would like to have it reblocked more like a Stratoliner. I asked Gus Miller at Batsake's if he could do it and he just told me to "bring the hat in". The felt is very stiff. I don't know if that makes a difference. I see a lot of Open Roads on this board that have had the same treatment.

Any thoughts?

I guess I should just take it to Gus.

Hmm...well, it certainly won't react like a Stratoliner when you're done with it, because the Stratoliner felt was a lightweight felt, and the Stampede is going to be a heavier western weight. I briefly had in my posession a late 70s-80's Stetson western that I was considering converting and the felt is quite substantial. In theory, you shouldn't have a problem reblocking to a different crown shape though.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the response Jared. I should have been more specific. I like the crown actually. It's the brim I want reshaped. I would like to have the upturn at the rear and the downturn at the front. Right now it is upturned on the sides as a one would expect from a cowboy hat but I would like the sides flattened.

here's the original auction. Hope the link works

From the pics I thought it would look more like an Akruba.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190778802473?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the response Jared. I should have been more specific. I like the crown actually. It's the brim I want reshaped. I would like to have the upturn at the rear and the downturn at the front. Right now it is upturned on the sides as a one would expect from a cowboy hat but I would like the sides flattened.

here's the original auction. Hope the link works

From the pics I thought it would look more like an Akruba.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190778802473?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Yeah, that's a lot like the one I had...might've been the same model. Ok, so if it's the brim you're talking about and not the crown, you don't need to do a full reblock, only a re-flange. Provided Batsake's has the appropriate flange for a Stratoliner, it shouldn't be a problem.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Thanks again Jared. He seems to have every hat gadget manufactured for the last 100 years in that shop so I am encouraged that he can help me. I appreciate the sharing of your knowledge.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I was afraid of that...it's a thick looking hat.

It's indeed heavier than other straws, but it is a rugged hat and should see you through a couple of seasons for a very reasonable price. I like the way they wear and look, very comfortable to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeLSA