Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
these are all very good points.
next question: what is the cure for having champagne taste on a beer budget? :)

Drink less, but drink the better stuff. At the end of the year money spent will be equivalent, but liver and taste buds will say thanks :D

I believe the same applies for everything, although I am not sure of the benefits to liver and taste buds of a very fine hat

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'm interested in a sombrero de huaso. A Chilean cowboy's hat. I've checked the previous threads, but can find no reference to the hat quality. The sombreros that appear to be good quality are listed as Sombreros Canadian 10X. Does anyone know what the Canadian 10X designation means? The 10X I understand to be 100% rabbit, but what does the Canadian mean?

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Reposted from the Cap Faction thread:

I’m wondering if I can get some quick help here. I’ve been eyeing the Belfry Street Grimwig for a while. It’s a normal-looking eight-panel cap, but it comes in peached cotton, which I haven’t seen before and find appealing. I’m in a quandry, though, as I’m right on the line between L (7 3/8) and XL (7 ½) in their sizing recommendations. I’m leaning toward the XL, but if anyone has any experience with this particular cap, I’d love to hear it.

-Dave

Thanks,

Dave

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Hat shop's in the Golden Era took and hat and made it to the users spec sometimes. People replaced sweat bands and changed out ribbons on hats if they where worn or they did not like the colors. Bash's where not pressed into hats like they are too day the hat was shaped to the wearer's favorite bash. There was more choices for off the shelf in the past than there are today.

I'm interested in a sombrero de huaso. A Chilean cowboy's hat. I've checked the previous threads, but can find no reference to the hat quality. The sombreros that appear to be good quality are listed as Sombreros Canadian 10X. Does anyone know what the Canadian 10X designation means? The 10X I understand to be 100% rabbit, but what does the Canadian mean?

Is a huaso the Chilean version of an Argentine Gaucho? It seems the hats are very similar to what Alan is wearing in the New Hat thread, a Spanish flat-brim hat may suffice. I'm not sure what the Canadian 10X refers to unless it's Canadian beaver?

Pardon me, Alan's Spanish hat is in the WHAYWT thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19520-What-Hat-Are-You-Wearing-Today/page3557

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
The huaso's and the gaucho's hat are similar. The huaso's hat has a telescope crown, where the gaucho's is flat, the huaso's hat band is narrow, usually a cord, and the brim is wider, typically about 9 to13 cm. The huaso's hat has a stampede cord that is typically worn behind the head at the base of the head except when needed, then worn under the chin.

The hats that I've seen with the Canadian 10X are 100% rabbit, no beaver. I've seen this used for fedoras as well. The Spanish noun and adjective for Canadian would be Canadiense. I have no idea what the "Canadian" means. It may be unique to Chile.

Maybe one of our native Spanish speakers could help. Are the hats made there? If so, rabbit may be the usual material for those type of hats, and considering Akubras are rabbit, not a bad thing for and outdoor hat.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
To the best of my knowledge the hats are made in Chile, and the best quality are 100% rabbit. They do make wool hats that are much cheaper..

BR Gordon

One Too Many
As much as it rains in central and southern Chile, I'm surprised that they even make wool. There's no question that I'll get the best that I can find. The wool sombrero that I had shrunk by at least two sizes after I returned to the states.

As far as the chamanta goes, I think I'll probably pass. I would like to get a pair of corraleras.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
When shipping a hat in a hat box, what's the accepted practice? I've gotten hats off eBay where the seller had simply wrapped the hatbox itself in butcher paper and sent it off. Do you double box?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
When shipping a hat in a hat box, what's the accepted practice? I've gotten hats off eBay where the seller had simply wrapped the hatbox itself in butcher paper and sent it off. Do you double box?

That is unacceptable. It should be double boxed.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
All that I have bought from Hats Direct & Everything Australian have come in the Akubra or store hat box with shipping labels applied = no double boxing.
Those purchases that include a nice or vintage hat box have been double boxed. YRMV...

Same from DM, The Bluewater Group, John Helmer and Panama Bob. Never had a problem.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
A new hat is (or may be) another matter. I thought the question was about purchasing a hat and hatbox on eBay. In this case, if you want the box to be protected, it will need to be double boxed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe