Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I was considering that - I was going to ask Does the wood age somehow? Does age change its tone? Almost like a "curing". Interesting. The violin people would know about that I guess.
Everything in the guitar needs to cure. Playing the instrument helps in the creation of the tone over time. Makers and players are well aware of this process.

This is called the aging process. It has been well researched in the Violin market.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Is Dena still taking alterations jobs? Anyone have contact info? I have a leather jacket I want to shorten.
Please take my advice and forget about shortening your jacket. It's going to cost you a lot of money, not only because of the alteration itself but also because you'll end up with a butchered jacket that you won't be able to sell. A total write off.

Shortening jackets is tricky because you're messing with the overall proportions. It may only yield positive results on long halfbelt or long cafe racer styles.

IMG_6927.jpeg
IMG_6928.jpeg
IMG_6929.jpeg

KBlake

One Too Many
Please take my advice and forget about shortening your jacket. It's going to cost you a lot of money, not only because of the alteration itself but also because you'll end up with a butchered jacket that you won't be able to sell. A total write off.

Shortening jackets is tricky because you're messing with the overall proportions. It may only yield positive results on long halfbelt or long cafe racer styles.

View attachment 650070 View attachment 650071 View attachment 650072
Ok, advice taken. Thank you. Although it seems to me the front just has 2 extra inches of material at the bottom and proportions won’t suffer.
IMG_3563.jpeg

Last edited:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Curious, how would you guys suggest I tackle these water stains?!

This is a tan vegetable tanned leather from Double Helix, and for whatever reason it is super sensitive to liquids. Some water dripped down the lapel over the weekend and left a noticeable stain, so I tried wiping the area in hopes of blending it in. The result is what you see in the photos below.

Obviously it’s not the prettiest fix but I’m not sure where to go from here. Should I just wipe down the entire jacket hoping for a better blend or should I maybe apply a product to it to make it more waterproof?! If so, suggestions on what I should use?

Just wipe down the whole jacket with water.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Although it seems to me the front just has 2 extra inches of material at the bottom and proportions won’t suffer.

You’ll ruin the proportions in the back since the half belt is already kind of low.

Exactly what Jeo said. The front is not the issue, 3" less front length would look much better imo. The back is the issue as the kidney panel (spacing between the halfbelt and the hem) needs to stay in proportion.

Theoretically you could remove a strip above the halfbelt and use the excess leather for side adjusters lol. But I really think it's too much trouble / too risky.

IMG_6984.jpeg

KBlake

One Too Many
Exactly what Jeo said. The front is not the issue, 3" less front length would look much better imo. The back is the issue as the kidney panel (spacing between the halfbelt and the hem) needs to stay in proportion.

Theoretically you could remove a strip above the halfbelt and use the excess leather for side adjusters lol. But I really think it's too much trouble / too risky.

View attachment 650168
But I wouldn’t have them touch the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squash_fav