Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hey fellas, got a bit of a topic that might hit home for some of y’all. How do you say goodbye to a jacket that's been hanging in your closet for years, but deep down you know it ain't getting the love it deserves? Whether it doesn’t fit like it used to or just ain’t seeing the light of day anymore, it can be tough to let go.

I’ve got a couple of jackets that I keep telling myself I’ll wear again, but let’s be real, they're just taking up space. Thing is, every time I think about selling 'em, it feels like I’m giving up on an old friend. How do you guys mentally get past that? Any tricks to get in the right mindset? Or do you just pull the trigger and list them without thinking too much?

Would love to hear how you all handle it—especially those who've had to part with some real special pieces. Do you sell with no regrets, or is there always a bit of sting to it? Let’s hear your stories, and maybe we can make the process a little easier for each other!
I have regrets for the ones I loved. Sometimes I didn't appreciate what I had until I lost them. That is life. Best way to go about anything, is right through it.

floater

New in Town
Hey fellas, got a bit of a topic that might hit home for some of y’all. How do you say goodbye to a jacket that's been hanging in your closet for years, but deep down you know it ain't getting the love it deserves? Whether it doesn’t fit like it used to or just ain’t seeing the light of day anymore, it can be tough to let go.

I’ve got a couple of jackets that I keep telling myself I’ll wear again, but let’s be real, they're just taking up space. Thing is, every time I think about selling 'em, it feels like I’m giving up on an old friend. How do you guys mentally get past that? Any tricks to get in the right mindset? Or do you just pull the trigger and list them without thinking too much?

Would love to hear how you all handle it—especially those who've had to part with some real special pieces. Do you sell with no regrets, or is there always a bit of sting to it? Let’s hear your stories, and maybe we can make the process a little easier for each other!
It’s tough, I had a bunch of outerwear I loved and had to let go when I moved from toronto to socal weather

The hardest part is getting rid of it, but out of sight out of mind, and best part was I stopped feeling bad/guilty for not giving them the attention they deserved every time I saw them in my closet

So just do it!

Last edited:

AHP91

One Too Many
Can anyone tell me what type of leather damage this is/ does it risk the potential to spread for some reason? It kind of looks like a specific area where the area had bacteria or something. Not really sure. Thanks

IMG_0194.jpeg
IMG_0195.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, seems like Urad is sometimes used for this. Have you had any experience touching up an area like that?
I've tried Urad but it wears off rather quickly on spots like this. I'd use a shoe sole marker, It contains a lot of pigment which will be absorbed by the leather. Then apply some black shoe cream to bring back some sheen.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Hi everybody, this is my first post and not sure if I’m posting where I’m supposed to as couldn’t find how to‍♂️
Anyway, I’ve had this particular leather jacket for a good few years now and have always wanted to know more about it.
It’s either late 60s early 70s I think, but no makers label and never seen another one.
Possibly a Brookes or similar?
Photos attached…
I owned the same style jacket. Perhaps this is the one I sold? It is a most unique jacket with the snap down collar and pockets, the half-belt back on this style is unusual. Plus the strapped snap cuffs. A

The Talon zipper on my jacket and yours are original. This Talon came out around 1958, it is called a "big" zipper in the Sears catalog of the time. The red quilted interior is also very much 1950s.

I sold mine twice! Got returned and sold again.

1726255649188.png
1726255674211.png
1726255691334.png

Nick M

New in Town
I owned the same style jacket. Perhaps this is the one I sold? It is a most unique jacket with the snap down collar and pockets, the half-belt back on this style is unusual. Plus the strapped snap cuffs. A

The Talon zipper on my jacket and yours are original. This Talon came out around 1958, it is called a "big" zipper in the Sears catalog of the time. The red quilted interior is also very much 1950s.

I sold mine twice! Got returned and sold again.

View attachment 639558 View attachment 639559 View attachment 639560
Hi mate, that is definitely exactly the same design, if not the actual jacket thanks for the extra info too about the zipper. I knew they started using them in the 50s, but most people have them as 60s /70s.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Why do a lot of jackets have a separate patch of leather under the sleeve near the armpit e.g. under the sleeve you can see 2 pieces of leather are used
In theory this is/was about cost savings as small scrap pieces can be used to construct the sleeve.

However, there might also be a functional aspect to this. On some of my vintage jackets slightly thinner leather was used for the small third panel, I guess to increase wearing comfort.

newtojackets

Practically Family
In theory this is/was about cost savings as small scrap pieces can be used to construct the sleeve.

However, there might also be a functional aspect to this. On some of my vintage jackets slightly thinner leather was used for the small third panel, I guess to increase wearing comfort.
A lot of high end makers use it too. Is it because they are just doing repros, so adding it underneath for historical accuracy?

The cost savings element seems confusing to me. If they wanted to save costs why wouldn’t they use 2 evenly sized pieces of leather, rather than one which goes 90% of the way, and then a small patch for the remaining 10%.

I wonder if beyond comfort, does it also somehouse improve mobility?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
so adding it underneath for historical accuracy?
Yes
If they wanted to save costs why wouldn’t they use 2 evenly sized pieces of leather, rather than one which goes 90% of the way, and then a small patch for the remaining 10%.
Back in the days leather was expensive, labor was cheap. That small panel allowed the maker to use a small piece of leather that otherwise would have gone to waste.
I wonder if beyond comfort, does it also somehouse improve mobility?
No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1