Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newtojackets

Practically Family
IMG_7312.jpeg

Anyone have any idea what this jacket is?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
For those who know more about stitching: Are the stitches in this red arrow area too tight/spaced close together?? Am I just being OCD?

I don't mind the look--but does this weaken the strength of the shoulder seam? All the other stitches are "normal," it's just the red arrow I'm concerned about. Thanks!
Stitching misshaped or it can be a locking stich? However, the spacing is off for a stitching lock. Very nice jacket by the way.

Asinyne

New in Town
How loose is an Indiana Jones-style jacket supposed to be in the chest? I know it’s a boxier design; if I have a 40” chest, approximately how much ease do you think I’d need? Would 22.5 (45”) be enough or too much?

newtojackets

Practically Family
I'm also curious who made these too. The leather is shrunken grain merino sheepskin. I don't see this skin very often from American makers. That's also a very modern YKK zip. And the funky name... I wonder who made this jacket.
Really cool leather. If you don’t see this often on American makers, where do you usually see it?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is this from a specific tannery or just a general type of leather
Its generic tannage like any motochap cowhide. They just call it shrunken grain (merino) sheepskin, there are two kinds, naked and clear coated.
If it's shrunken grain you are looking for I would still suggest to spend the money once and go for horsehide or bison. The shrunken sheepskin hides are very small (so limiting on sizing and design) and also they just don't feel as strong and wears (abrasion) fast and expose the already delicate inside fibers. I think these are the main reasons you don't see them State side from the motorcycle jacket makers at all.
Mine has a top coat and very little wear yet it already wears (abrasion) more than the horse or bison,
IMG_9380.JPG

The sheepskin is very thick but still don't feel as strong as horse or bison almost half its thickness, there is no dense fibers here that can take on the abrasion like the other two. Drapes very well though and there is a stretch in the leather like lycra, so there is the trade off. But for longevity probably look for horse or bison or goat. I think cowhides has proven itself to be the best in terms of durability and availability and value, it just doesn't have the vintage cool factors like the horsehides.
IMG_7485.jpg

newtojackets

Practically Family
Its generic tannage like any motochap cowhide. They just call it shrunken grain (merino) sheepskin, there are two kinds, naked and clear coated.
If it's shrunken grain you are looking for I would still suggest to spend the money once and go for horsehide or bison. The shrunken sheepskin hides are very small (so limiting on sizing and design) and also they just don't feel as strong and wears (abrasion) fast and expose the already delicate inside fibers. I think these are the main reasons you don't see them State side from the motorcycle jacket makers at all.
Mine has a top coat and very little wear yet it already wears (abrasion) more than the horse or bison,
View attachment 622396
The sheepskin is very thick but still don't feel as strong as horse or bison almost half its thickness, there is no dense fibers here that can take on the abrasion like the other two. Drapes very well though and there is a stretch in the leather like lycra, so there is the trade off. But for longevity probably look for horse or bison or goat. I think cowhides has proven itself to be the best in terms of durability and availability and value, it just doesn't have the vintage cool factors like the horsehides.
View attachment 622397
Might not be very durable, but jacket looks amazing. Is that johnson leathers?

cbez

One Too Many
What do you guys do when you're comparing other jackets negatively to stuff you own?

I still have the urge to explore more rider styles, but I feel like a lot of the stuff I look at is comparing unfavorably to my hummingbird.

Things I like:

- crazy grain and thick teacore horsehide
- styling and pattern is kind of minimalist, not too loud or extra. Feels like a chill canvas that just lets the leather speak without a bunch of studs, epaulets, belts, bonus pockets and zips etc.
- full piece back with no yoke (I understand the purpose just like a big unbroken back panel)
- fit is really good for me OTR
- comfy
- I don't usually like adjuster buckles, but these are pretty subtle while still being high quality

I feel like when I find other stuff I'm into it doesn't check all the boxes in the same way..

Trophy Hummingbird Front.jpg

Trophy Hummingbird Back 2.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys do when you're comparing other jackets negatively to stuff you own?
Why would you do that (look for or a jacket that ticks the boxes in the same way). You'd end up with a rack full of highly similar jackets.

Personally I try to do the exact opposite. I like to look for something that I don't have yet, something new.

IMG_2168.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth