Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Aero Jackets that good?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The biggest drawback is vansons mainly come in black right? Im considering a nonblack crosszip, maybe brown or cordovan or oxblood etc. The 641hh is pretty stiff but I did use it for riding a lot last season and it was fine. best way to break in a leather jacket is to wear it, while riding

You can get a custom Vanson for a 15% surcharge; this charge covers both fit changes and alternative leathers.

If you want Chromexcel in particular, you could go Johnson Leathers in SF. Price point is comparable to Aero but the patterns are really built for riding.

cl206

New in Town
You can get a custom Vanson for a 15% surcharge; this charge covers both fit changes and alternative leathers.

If you want Chromexcel in particular, you could go Johnson Leathers in SF. Price point is comparable to Aero but the patterns are really built for riding.
Oh I didnt know that about Vansons. Also JL's leather's website stinks lol. Ive heard you need to speak to them in the phone. Also Im not set on chromexcel. Just want steerhide bc Ive already got the HH. Thanks for the suggestions!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Oh I didnt know that about Vansons. Also JL's leather's website stinks lol. Ive heard you need to speak to them in the phone. Also Im not set on chromexcel. Just want steerhide bc Ive already got the HH. Thanks for the suggestions!

It seems, you are asking yourself all the right questions. If you are not pressed for time, the Classifieds here should get you places. What size (rang) are you looking at, if I may ask?

cl206

New in Town
It seems, you are asking yourself all the right questions. If you are not pressed for time, the Classifieds here should get you places. What size (rang) are you looking at, if I may ask?
Thanks! Im in no rush but im 5'10 about 165lbs and I like my outfit slim. My waist is 28/29 and my chest is 37/38 inches. my schott 641hh is size 36 and if i could have made any changes, I would slim down the chest an inch and lengthen the back by .5 inch.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
The biggest drawback is vansons mainly come in black right? Im considering a nonblack crosszip, maybe brown or cordovan or oxblood etc. The 641hh is pretty stiff but I did use it for riding a lot last season and it was fine. best way to break in a leather jacket is to wear it, while riding

Their stock options are mostly black but I believe they do custom orders as well where you can choose color.

See these other colours they have:
https://www.vansonleathers.com/casual-and-street/961-maverick-jean-jacket-DJCB.html
https://www.vansonleathers.com/leat...olive-green-deer-tanned-cow-leather-4019.html

I’m sure if you email and ask they could let you know what other options they have.

cl206

New in Town
Their stock options are mostly black but I believe they do custom orders as well where you can choose color.

See these other colours they have:
https://www.vansonleathers.com/casual-and-street/961-maverick-jean-jacket-DJCB.html
https://www.vansonleathers.com/leat...olive-green-deer-tanned-cow-leather-4019.html

I’m sure if you email and ask they could let you know what other options they have.
yes! i actually did email them a few months ago and they never responded... might try again.
I see that SL is open today and Ive nothing to do so I might give them a call :)

Last edited:

Faux59

Familiar Face
They can take it and won't get any worse. Just do it if it's comfortable enough.
This one was used on the motorbike.
I should have clarified. I didn't mean Aero's can't take it or they're not durable. My bike doesn't have a fairing or windscreen. I do a lot of long distance riding and all that road debris hits my jacket (and face!). The front side of my Schott is already fairly beat up after just a year and cheaper leather jackets I used to bike with looked ancient after only a few years. Aero's are too nice and expense for me to put them through that.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
I should have clarified. I didn't mean Aero's can't take it or they're not durable. My bike doesn't have a fairing or windscreen. I do a lot of long distance riding and all that road debris hits my jacket (and face!). The front side of my Schott is already fairly beat up after just a year and cheaper leather jackets I used to bike with looked ancient after only a few years. Aero's are too nice and expense for me to put them through that.
I know that. A damp wipe every now and then should be enough. Horween's CXL is super robust and really doesn't mind all that. But I can understand why you might think twice about it given the price.

cl206

New in Town
Thats why for longer rides I have dedicated gear and the nice jackets for shorter non hwy rides.
I know that. A damp wipe every now and then should be enough. Horween's CXL is super robust and really doesn't mind all that. But I can understand why you might think twice about it given the price.

I wanna add that I don't mind wearing an expensive jacket on a bike. Like MrProper said, just wipe it each time. I remember seeing some dirt on my 689HH and I was like, hey nbd, wipe and go. I want a good looking jacket that is also tough. I wanna wear the heck out of it :) BUT I will also maintain and clean it as necessary ofc. I've ridden my bike when it was low twenties deg F out and the 641HH handled it like a champ! With my down jacket as an inner layer too!

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
Vanson’s brown competition weight leather is super comfortable, very heavy but supple and the range of movement of this model is amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_6040.jpeg
    IMG_6040.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
To the OP - if considering an Aero for Motorcycling usage, there are other options you may find more comfortable on the bike with a more precise range of motion.

That said Aero do make excellent quality jackets by hand in Scotland, with a wide range of styles and linings, as well as leathers. It may be advisable to consider a couple different styles of Aero, Vanson, Schott, Lost Worlds or Langlitz *used* first to get a feel for how these fit, and function on a bike as well as for daily life & wearing. Then place an order with the company & model you love to get it exactly as you want it to be.

Hum, sounds like the "Fedora lounge" effect at work here... :)

Eagledog

New in Town
s

Yes ive been looking and who knows might get lucky!
Jacket fit on a bike has a lot to do with riding position. When I'm on my Yamaha R6 it is very different than my HD Road King. The Indian bobber 20 is different from the other bikes. If you ride without a windshield like I do, and you want to protect the leather on the front of the jacket, and you are not wearing armor, then wearing an airbag like the Helite Turtle 2 is a good idea.
If you're your taking short trips around town (25 miles or less) then you will be spending most of you time off the bike. Get a jacket that's comfortable for that.
Better yet, keep a 2nd jacket in the saddlebag and switch when you stop. Most of the time a riding jacket is too much jacket when not in motion and a pain to lug around. Switching to something lightweight at the destination is a better option. Add a few more inches to the sleeve length for riding.

cl206

New in Town
Jacket fit on a bike has a lot to do with riding position. When I'm on my Yamaha R6 it is very different than my HD Road King. The Indian bobber 20 is different from the other bikes. If you ride without a windshield like I do, and you want to protect the leather on the front of the jacket, and you are not wearing armor, then wearing an airbag like the Helite Turtle 2 is a good idea.
If you're your taking short trips around town (25 miles or less) then you will be spending most of you time off the bike. Get a jacket that's comfortable for that.
Better yet, keep a 2nd jacket in the saddlebag and switch when you stop. Most of the time a riding jacket is too much jacket when not in motion and a pain to lug around. Switching to something lightweight at the destination is a better option. Add a few more inches to the sleeve length for riding.
Yep I forgot to mention my z400 is a naked sport bike, fairly upright and comfortable which allows me more options in what I wear. most of my rides are around 10 miles or so.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have many Aero jackets and I agree with Aerofan. Every jacket over $1000 could benefit from getting a used one at lower price to get a hang of what it is. Then only if you like it, upgrade for a new custom one. The success rate of hitting a hole in one on your first custom jacket is as much as hitting a hole in one.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have many Aero jackets and I agree with Aerofan. Every jacket over $1000 could benefit from getting a used one at lower price to get a hang of what it is. Then only if you like it, upgrade for a new custom one. The success rate of hitting a hole in one on your first custom jacket is as much as hitting a hole in one.

I second this. So many people enter this hobby via a custom Aero, and while the jacket is usually great, there probably isn't a single person who wouldn't have done something differently on that jacket.

One way to get to know what works for you is to get a used Aero, as Canuck mentions. Alternatively, try an RTW jacket that's a well-known model like a Schott Perfecto or Vanson Comet, because that will give you a reference point for things like fit that you can share and discuss with people here.

Edward

Bartender
Hi I am on the market for a crosszip jacket and would like to pick up an Aero, something like the vincent or J106 which would go nicely with my Schott 689HH. However I do ride a z400 and found this:
https://firstmfg.com/products/fillmore-mens-motorcycle-leather-jacket?variant=37307691565254
This is on sale for sub $200 and the J106 is around $1000 or more. Is the J106 5 times as good?
Can someone give me some reasons I would spend 5 times for the J106? TIA!

PS I get that the Aero can be custom made and is made in England and has the more prestigious name but if you remove these items, how much better is the chromexcel steerhide than the drum dyed naked cowhide? Im really new to this!

Any Aero that claims to be made in England is a fake! Aero only manufactures in Scotland.

Aero will be vastly better a jacket than the one in the link above. Whether the difference is worth it (it is to me) will be a personal, subjective decision. As are patterns: some brands work better than others for different folks. Doesn'tcmean the patterns are bad, just that not every brand's cuts will fit every body the same way.

The only think that would make me wary of riding in one of my Aeros would be the lack of armour for impact, but the heavier hides, or their goat, will be fine for a slide.

cl206

New in Town
Any Aero that claims to be made in England is a fake! Aero only manufactures in Scotland.

Aero will be vastly better a jacket than the one in the link above. Whether the difference is worth it (it is to me) will be a personal, subjective decision. As are patterns: some brands work better than others for different folks. Doesn'tcmean the patterns are bad, just that not every brand's cuts will fit every body the same way.

The only think that would make me wary of riding in one of my Aeros would be the lack of armour for impact, but the heavier hides, or their goat, will be fine for a slide.
omg good catch! Thanks for the correction! I knew they were made in Scotland bc ive been perusing their site, not sure why i said made in England!! thinking about crockett and jones (or lewis leathers) damnit!

Last edited:

cl206

New in Town
I just emailed schott for the specs on a jacket p213 and they responded within 5 minutes! holy moly. schott just schott up my list of options!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This is the best quote I've seen in quite a while - especially since it's so very true...
The success rate of hitting a hole in one on your first custom jacket is as much as hitting a hole in one -- Canuck Panda

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeckinHell