Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have the Orvis Canyon Jacket? Could Aero do one for less?

ScottyP

New in Town
Hi, guys. I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking hitting my wife up for a leather jacket for Christmas. I really like the look of this Orvis jacket but the price is pretty outrageous...
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4X6X

What would you say is the closest Aero? Maybe a Highwayman in mid-weight horse?

I'll probably just end up getting an Aero seal goatskin half-belt though my wife says an expensive jacket doesn't make any sense in Florida.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Half-belt with double chest zips in mid-weight russet horse, that should see you there. Don't listen to your wife! Everyone needs at least one really cool leather jacket in their wardrobe, even if you only wear it a few weeks of the year. Me, I've worn a one at some point virtually every week of 2013, and I will be using this fact to justify yet another purchase in 2014...:D

Half-belt with double chest zips in mid-weight russet horse, that should see you there. Don't listen to your wife! Everyone needs at least one really cool leather jacket in their wardrobe, even if you only wear it a few weeks of the year. Me, I've worn a one at some point virtually every week of 2013, and I will be using this fact to justify yet another purchase in 2014...:D

Don't listen to Sloan. He has a rap sheet "this long" for pimping and selling. lol

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, Scotty. I live in Miami and can generally wear my Aero FQHH from this time in November until late March or early April, as well as when I'm travelling. Go for the light worsted lining with no storm cuffs. As far as your question regarding that other company, I bought one of their jackets several years ago: let's just say it was my learning experience. When I think that with the money I spent I could have bought that Happy Days jacket on the Aero sales page right now, well, have you ever seen a grown man weep? Oh, and as far as the wife goes, I'm married to a life-long vegetarian, so if I can get away with it I'm sure you can. Good luck and welcome to the Lounge.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think slogans suggestion would be closer than a highwayman...this looks like it is a slimmer fit than a boxy highwayman.

I won't be so bold as to tell you not to listen to your wife in the interest of harmony but don't worry about living in a hot climate and spending money on an expensive jacket, I'm in Sydney and have 5.

I would probably recommend against the FQHH if you are looking to get "more" use out of it. Goat or mid weight HH would probably be the better options. I like the character of the FQHH more but if I look at it in a practical light, the others are more sensible.

ScottyP

New in Town
I think slogans suggestion would be closer than a highwayman...this looks like it is a slimmer fit than a boxy highwayman.

I won't be so bold as to tell you not to listen to your wife in the interest of harmony but don't worry about living in a hot climate and spending money on an expensive jacket, I'm in Sydney and have 5.

I would probably recommend against the FQHH if you are looking to get "more" use out of it. Goat or mid weight HH would probably be the better options. I like the character of the FQHH more but if I look at it in a practical light, the others are more sensible.

What about goatskin for warm(ish) weather?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think you can do a lot better than that Orvis jacket both in terms of look and price. The Goat used by Aero and Alexander Leathers is very thick and takes a lot of breaking in. It ain't that light either. I live in a warm country and I can't wear my goat skin for much of the year. I've worn my Al goat daily for months over winter without it getting any softer or easier to wear. But it is lovely and certainly lighter than the standard horse. I think the lighter HH might be best. It's around 2.3 oz making it easier to break in and nicer to wear IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007