Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have any Men's 1930s-40s clothing NOT on Ebay??

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
cowboy76 said:
I know one thing that one other forum I'm on does, which works ot very well and really puts the seller in a good light with others (also generates business no matter what!) is to offer it to the forum people FIRST, outright sale, and to specifically say,

"I wanted to give you guys first shot at it here,..if it doesnt sell its going on Ebay, SERIOUS inqueries ONLY!..."

This gives the reader ample time to respond, and you look good no matter what! In the end you sell it either way but have coupled a turnover with great customer service embellished with thoughtfullness and professionalism!

For what its worth..there are NUMEROUS threads that do -just- that in classifieds.

So just because -you- havent seen it yet...doesn't mean thats not what happens most of the time.

Each seller decides what they want to do, direct, first chance then ebay, or just ebay.

Pull up a chair...and sit and watch a while longer before suggesting that what -already- is the case, isn't happening.

Mike Hammer

New in Town
luvthatlulu said:
We're cool. It's just a business decision I've had to make (and a really good discussion subject)...nothing personal.

Recently, Lulu and I found a beautiful, mint condition French-made Derby/Bowler for sale at a local area antique shop and offered to negotiate for, purchase, and sell it for our actual cost plus a small "carrying fee" to cover our travel expense direct to any interested Lounger.

No response. None. Zip.

Bought it anyway, listed in on eBay, and almost doubled our investment! Like Johnnysan says, you offer things over and over without success here, and you finally decide to just go the eBay route to start with. Still, I try to give the folks here a heads-up and even offer to make some concession to fellow Loungers who will identify themselves as such in my auctions. What more can I do?

--Not the Lulu

Let me ask a question......Did the bowler go for an outrageous amount over market, or did it bring what it should have in that condition, fair market?
You saw a chance to make some dough, so you ponied up investment capital, did the legwork yourself, and reaped the reward. Good for you; ain't capitalism great?:eusa_clap Sometimes things just work out right for everybody.

cowboy76

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
For what its worth..there are NUMEROUS threads that do -just- that in classifieds.

So just because -you- havent seen it yet...doesn't mean thats not what happens most of the time.

Each seller decides what they want to do, direct, first chance then ebay, or just ebay.

Pull up a chair...and sit and watch a while longer before suggesting that what -already- is the case, isn't happening.

hmmm,..bit of hostility? [huh]
Well, I was simply asking a question based on my observations,...others have also seen this, so i'm obviously not very off base.

..but thank you nonetheless!:)

Feraud

Bartender
cowboy76 said:
hmmm,..bit of hostility? [huh]
Well, I was simply asking a question based on my observations,...others have also seen this, so i'm obviously not very off base.

..but thank you nonetheless!:)
Not hostility but honest experience. She was answering based on two years of Lounge experience.

Another point to be mentioned is about not needing to fix what is not broken. Members are free to choose to sell where they see fit.

As I noted earlier, if you spend enough time looking you will find good stuff. It always works for me. :)

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Writing strictly as a Seller, it isn't practical for me to spend extra time offering the items that I've diligently searched out, found, negotiated for, bought, tied my money up in, transported, cleaned up and re-conditioned (if needed) first to a group of buyers whose expressed interest is more in getting a "bargain" to brag about than paying fair market value. Consequently, I choose to put the items in the eBay market at an initial offering well below my actual investment and hope for the best...essentially trusting in my own business acumen more than anyone else's sense of fair value. At the same time, I feel it is only right to make friends aware of my offerings and even offer an accommodation to them if they are interested.

I see that as a "win-win" for everyone involved.

--Not the Lulu

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Mike

Mike Hammer said:
Let me ask a question......Did the bowler go for an outrageous amount over market, or did it bring what it should have in that condition, fair market?
You saw a chance to make some dough, so you ponied up investment capital, did the legwork yourself, and reaped the reward. Good for you; ain't capitalism great?:eusa_clap Sometimes things just work out right for everybody.

First, welcome to the Lounge.

Good question. I really don't know the answer. All I do know is that it is now in the hands (and I assume on the head) of an interested buyer who paid only what he felt comfortable offering and perhaps a little less. Many times I've bid a lot for something I really wanted and was pleasantly surprised to find I got it for a lot less than my maximum offering.;)

--Not the Lulu

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton