Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have any Men's 1930s-40s clothing NOT on Ebay??

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I used to offer up whatever I had on here first, but I was met with price gougers and a lack of interest...I'm not sure if I'll even be posting my ebay auctions on here anymore...

luvthatlulu

Suspended
cowboy76 said:
I keep seeing that there is a trend of no real items for sale ON the Fedora Lounge classified section,...just Ads for "Auctions" on Ebay

I'd like to buy some of the things I see, but it gets frustrating when these are auctions and not items that are just simply being "sold".

:eek: As an eBay Seller myself, I'm dumbfounded by those remarks. Are you suggesting that the items I list are not actually for sale? Believe me, eBay Sellers want you "to buy some of the things [you] see" as well. And what's wrong if they are willing to risk letting the free market set the item's selling value? I've made and lost money in this fashion for several years. I've ended auctions early to accommodate Lounge members on occasions, too, but only after a mutually-agreed fair offer had been tendered.

Don't get frustrated...just bid what you think an item is worth to you and let the free market do the rest. If you are consistently being outbid, you clearly don't know that particular item's real value and that should not become a Seller's problem to fix for you.

--Not the Lulu

Feraud

Bartender
From hanging around the place for a while I notice the amount of Classifieds ads (not directing one to Ebay) ebb and flow.

I recommend anyone periodically check the classifieds. Great deals are still to be had here.

cowboy76

Suspended
luvthatlulu said:
:eek: As an eBay Seller myself, I'm dumbfounded by those remarks. Are you suggesting that the items I list are not actually for sale? Believe me, eBay Sellers want you "to buy some of the things [you] see" as well. And what's wrong if they are willing to risk letting the free market set the item's selling value? I've made and lost money in this fashion for several years. I've ended auctions early to accommodate Lounge members on occasions, too, but only after a mutually-agreed fair offer had been tendered.

Don't get frustrated...just bid what you think an item is worth to you and let the free market do the rest. If you are consistently being outbid, you clearly don't know that particular item's real value and that should not become a Seller's problem to fix for you.

--Not the Lulu

No, dont take things so personal....:eusa_doh: ;)
I'm not "suggesting" anything but what I initially wrote,....there's no hidden message there. It was written very plain and simple,..to the point. Pick up a classifieds newspaper, or look in the classifieds of any other paper, magazine, Hemmings News, and many other online classifieds sections, etc. You don't see ads for Ebay there,....you see items for sale and items wanted. That is what I was trying to convey. It was put there after the fact that I truely was asking if there was any men's 30s-40s clothing, etc. out on here for sale without an ad or link to ebay.

I think its a fine idea to give the FL crowd a heads up if you are an ebayer that you do sell on ebay and not on the FL classifieds, this way people are familiar with you and your wares; but not to have people then realize that you sell soley on ebay! Disregarding fellow Fedora Loungers but still using the FL classifieds as an advertising venue.

People already know that Ebay is out there, why beat it into the ground, is all I was thinking. Its just my personal opinion that if I wanted to look for an auction, I'd just simply go to Ebay. Its like going to a Garage sale or Yard sale, only to find out that everything you're looking at is only purchasable on Ebay,...so you have to go home and look online at it and bid....same idea.

Another problem has been the influx of crap on Ebay that has been listed under "vintage" clothing. I have almost completely been turned off to ebay to buy vintage after having to deal with one person after another that didnt know the difference between Cotton Gabardine and Polyester, and others who decided that a hole the size of dime wasn't worthy of mentioning nor photographing!

On the other hand, in a community based forum like this, it makes a bigger difference in my opinion to deal direct with that person without the middle man of Ebay. I relate it to calling a business and getting a voice recording and having to spend 5 minutes waying through pushing buttons and saying things into the reciever,....OR,...just dialing, and actually speaking to a real person on the other end of the line. Its more personal and less corporate. Its an old time comfortable action and reaction...a traditional way to do business, etc.

I also used to buy and sell vintage, on and off of ebay. So I know where you are coming from and YES I am most certainly familiar with the market.

I believe Ebay has its place, however, as having been a buyer and seller before (just a guy who buys and wears these days) I have seen how Ebay has really screwed things up for all kinds of markets. Now people head to Ebay and see something going for Buco bucks and then thinks they too can get those same prices,....NOT TRUE! The market is fickle and there are only a limited amount of people looking for certain items at certain times. One day something can go for $100,..two days later you list yours and it goes for $20,...same thing, same condition. Those are the same people that hold onto things and a year later still have it for sale and they are that much LESS richer. Instead of going with a reasonable offer they decided to be greedy. (No, I'm not saying this is anyone here on the FL, so dont anyone decide to read into things!) That's also why I strongly feel that you cannot use Ebay to gauge pricing accurately....its only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I've been there, I've done it. I made money and lost money also. I've ended auctions for people who knew me and so on.

My personal feeling is that I'd just like to be able to deal directly with people and not be corraled into an auction enviornment like a heard of mindless sheep. The directness is what you find when you go to look at classifieds. That's why there's a separtate "Auction" area in many newspapers, etc. That's all.
I know there are plenty of good honest people on here that sell on ebay,...I'd just like to see items for sale "outright" instead of ads after ads of Ebay links.....it gets old after a while.

I look forward to getting to know more fine folks on the lounge and dealingwith them successfully with vintage in the future! Its a fine place and MK is doing a fine job with it.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Frankly, I haven't had much success using the classifieds section here. Granted, it may have been the result of what I was trying to sell, but I tried to bear that in mind and keep my prices reasonable.

By way of an observation and meaning no offense, it can really be disheartening when your classified thread generates multiple posts from fellow members who a) want to tell you how nice your stuff is and then b) promptly tell you why they can't/won't buy it.

As a result, I'm starting to lean towards listing on eBay where folks will either bid and buy or they won't.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I'm not exactly sure if your rant applies to me because I start all my auctions at .99 cents and don't ever ASSUME that my items are worth anything.

On the other hand, when I post on here, I'm forced to pick a price and often it's a higher price because it's convenient and not subject to sniping. What you pay for is the convenience of my hours and hours of time spent finding and then photographing and measuring everything. And quite often, I find that no one is ready to shell out for the added convenience.

cowboy76

Suspended
Johnnysan said:
By way of an observation and meaning no offense, it can really be disheartening when your classified thread generates multiple posts from fellow members who a) want to tell you how nice your stuff is and then b) promptly tell you why they can't/won't buy it.

As a result, I'm starting to lean towards listing on eBay where folks will either bid and buy or they won't.

Oh I know,..I think everyone who has listed things on recent classifieds on her and other vanues have also been feeling this too. I've been there. It also wastes bandwith to. I understand. Some people dont get the idea,..you know.

I have to say though, that I've inquired into two fellows who posted items for sale since I joined the FL and both got back to me once, but never bothered after that, and I was looking forward to doing business with them,...lazyness of their part I suppose. That also ruins a good thing.

cowboy76

Suspended
slicedbread said:
I'm not exactly sure if your rant applies to me because I start all my auctions at .99 cents and don't ever ASSUME that my items are worth anything.

On the other hand, when I post on here, I'm forced to pick a price and often it's a higher price because it's convenient and not subject to sniping. What you pay for is the convenience of my hours and hours of time spent finding and then photographing and measuring everything. And quite often, I find that no one is ready to shell out for the added convenience.

I appreciate your input,...

However, I must say, my post is in no way by any definition a, "rant".

noun (plural rants)
Definition:
loud and threatening speech: a very loud, aggressive, or bombastic speech that is usually long and repetitive

It was a genuine posted "question", with a follow up statement in answer to a question asked of myself.

As far as your pricing aggravation when selling outright, why not price what you think is a "possible" higher price you might think it "might" go for, and then reasonably work with a person on the price from there. That's all. I've done it, no big deal.

To recap, I'm NOT telling anyone NOT to sell on ebay, please take the time out to read what I initially posted and not read INTO what I said. If I meant something, I would have said it literally not figuratively.

Oh and if you read this backwards it wont give you alternatives meanings either, sorry...lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud is right.

Things ebb and flow and I see no issue posting ebay auctions here. It lets you know the lister is a Lounger, it gives you in many cases a 'heads up' that something is going to be out there.

That said...others do post non ebay stuff on classifieds. Maybe its in a low spot since you have been around, but I remember quite a few non ebay classifieds over time.

Classifieds -here- is for -both- types of things...as well as folks -giving- things away etc. Step away from the newspaper definition and Classifieds is doing exactly what it should.

If you see a classified that links to ebay and you don't want to ebay, then accept that the seller prefers to deal with things there. The FL offers no buyer or seller protection. Ebay does.

Just because everyone here is 'nice and thinks like me' does not a secure system make. Some folks wish to sell with that security in place.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
cowboy76 said:
I have to say though, that I've inquired into two fellows who posted items for sale since I joined the FL and both got back to me once, but never bothered after that, and I was looking forward to doing business with them,...lazyness of their part I suppose. That also ruins a good thing.

Miss Neecerie said:
Just because everyone here is 'nice and thinks like me' does not a secure system make. Some folks wish to sell with that security in place.

Both sentiments quite true...

Mike Hammer

New in Town
I see both sides of this.
On the one side, Ebay can be a great place to buy and sell....if everything works out OK. There are a ton of uneducated people there selling what they classify as "vintage". Some is, some clearly is not, but "vintage" may mean one thing to us, and something else to others.
On the other side, ebay is a market with a percentage of outright thieves, shill bidders, shipping gougers and people of less than honest character, so it is also a place where you can get ripped off but good.
Ebay is also a place that has gotten large and impersonal. There are so many members it's unusual to be able to form a business relationship with anyone. I like having a relationship with both the people I sell to, and the people I buy from, be it cars or groceries or clothing.

Personally, I'd be much more likely to trust someone here than many ebay sellers, especially with regard to age, condition, and sizing of things than some no-nothing who isn't really "in to" vintage, but ran across some stuff and figures to turn a quick profit before going back to their usual beanie babies and kid's clothing.
It's probably germaine for me to point out that I've been an ebay seller since '99 and 1800 feedbacks, so I know that whereof I speak. I've sold everything from books to flak jackets and plus size ladies clothing. Some things worked out well for me, others, not so much. I tend to stay away from things I don't know anything about, having lost my shirt on a couple of things.

cowboy76

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
If you see a classified that links to ebay and you don't want to ebay, then accept that the seller prefers to deal with things there. The FL offers no buyer or seller protection. Ebay does.

I think it would be a great idea to preface a classified posting with "Ebay" so that those looking to use Ebay to deal with fellow loungers can go straight to those posts. However, I have gone to many, many posts, showing pics, etc. only to find that its on ebay, not here.

As far as security, ebay gives you a false sense of security....I've been there and done that,....its a bummer.

cowboy76

Suspended
LOL ...I just thought about this,....

So,....being that I did actually post to see if anyone had 30s 40s men's vintage for sale not on ebay,...

...does anyone?......

;) :D

I think this has been a good discussion though!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
You might try

Thread title : Wanted Mens 1930s-40s clothes

and then go on to describe what -size- etc....you are looking for.

Oftentimes our members who are a specific size -are- getting rid of stuff and if they see a specific request..

luvthatlulu

Suspended
cowboy 76

We're cool. It's just a business decision I've had to make (and a really good discussion subject)...nothing personal.

Recently, Lulu and I found a beautiful, mint condition French-made Derby/Bowler for sale at a local area antique shop and offered to negotiate for, purchase, and sell it for our actual cost plus a small "carrying fee" to cover our travel expense direct to any interested Lounger.

No response. None. Zip.

Bought it anyway, listed in on eBay, and almost doubled our investment! Like Johnnysan says, you offer things over and over without success here, and you finally decide to just go the eBay route to start with. Still, I try to give the folks here a heads-up and even offer to make some concession to fellow Loungers who will identify themselves as such in my auctions. What more can I do?

--Not the Lulu

cowboy76

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
You might try

Thread title : Wanted Mens 1930s-40s clothes

and then go on to describe what -size- etc....you are looking for.

Oftentimes our members who are a specific size -are- getting rid of stuff and if they see a specific request..

I'll most certainly do that!!,.....:)

cowboy76

Suspended
luvthatlulu said:
We're cool. It's just a business decision I've had to make(and a really good discussion subject)...nothing personal.

Recently, Lulu and I found a beautiful, mint condition French-made Derby/Bowler for sale at a local area antique shop and offered to negotiate for, purchase, and sell it for our actual cost plus a small "carrying fee" to cover our travel expense direct to any interested Lounger.

No response. None. Zip.

Bought it anyway, listed in on eBay, and almost doubled our investment! Like Johnnysan says, you offer things over and over without success here, and you finally decide to just go the eBay route to start with. Still, I try to give the folks here a heads-up and even offer to make some concession to fellow Loungers who will identify themselves as such in my auctions. What more can I do?

--Not the Lulu

oh yeah, I can relate to that with vintage car parts and vintage clothing too,...I think your attitude ragarding giving fellow loungers a heads up is a great thing,..one I mentioned earlier.

I know one thing that one other forum I'm on does, which works ot very well and really puts the seller in a good light with others (also generates business no matter what!) is to offer it to the forum people FIRST, outright sale, and to specifically say,

"I wanted to give you guys first shot at it here,..if it doesnt sell its going on Ebay, SERIOUS inqueries ONLY!..."

This gives the reader ample time to respond, and you look good no matter what! In the end you sell it either way but have coupled a turnover with great customer service embellished with thoughtfullness and professionalism!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeLSA