Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever owned or worn an Alpha A-2?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just got an email from UPS. The Alpha A-2 will be here on the 27th in the evening.
Stand by for a full report! If it does not live up to my expectations...back she goes.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Well...it's here (Alpha A-2 brown goat).

First, the good news. The size "M" fits me spot on! Better than my G&B 42R. The knits are pretty good, as good or better than my Schott G-1, but not quite as nice as my G&B A-2. The color is a very dark brown, in line with my G-1 and A-2, but a bit more gloss to the finish.
Very soft leather, much lighter in weight than the G&B, but does not feel thin. Awesome YKK zipper. Stitching is very good, seams are straight.

The jacket has almost zero odor...far less than my G&B. The coat hook is sewn all the way thru the leather back.

I actually like this jacket as it is light in weight. A perfect jacket to throw in the suitcase for those airline trips.

Now, for the not so good news...

The right sleeve/elbow looks like it was not dyed properly. Looks like it was bleached in two spots.

The left sleeve has a permanent crease from the shoulder seam to the cuff. Perhaps due to being folded up in a rather small box.

The collar is just a bit too long.

It is an above average jacket for the price, and if it were not for the two spots on the right elbow, we would keep this one.

Stand by for some pictures. I guess no one else on this forum has an Alpha A-2? Or maybe no one will admit to owning one? Ha!

At any rate, the jacket is going back to Alpha. We have just purchased an A-2 from Cockpit USA.

edit: Both sleeves have a crease running the entire length. Perhaps due to being laid flat for a long time in the packaging.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Thanks for the detailed review, it sounds like a good lower cost option. Did it have an embossed Alpha logo on the breast? Also what's your height and chest, if the medium fitted perfectly.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the review FlyGuy, I'm sure a lot of people will find it really useful. It's sometimes a bit of trial and error with our passion. I am once again crossing my fingers for you. I have a very light weight A2 (ELC Roughwear) that goes everywhere with me...work & play in the warmer weather...I've had so much use in fact that it's on it's second lining & knits. A good light weight is a must. :)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
No embossed logo on the jacket. 5' 11", 172 lbs. I can wear a size "M" or "L" without any problems. Should have ordered my G&B in a 40R instead of a 42R. This medium Alpha is a great fit. This is the perfect "beater" jacket. Just wish we did not have to send it back! Look close and you can see the two problem spots on the right elbow. No inside pockets, and I do not think there is any insulation at all. That may be why the jacket is lighter than my G&B A-2.

And this jacket is not a "bloomy" or "oversized" fit.

image0-001.jpg P1010079.jpg P1010081.jpg P1010082.jpg P1010083.jpg P1010085.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth