Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any good suit recommendations?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I was interested in getting a really nice suit, something nice and fitted and classy looking. But I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars trying to get a Tom Ford(either from the site directly or second hand), or trying to spend that much getting one custom made. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice suit that is sort of a middle ground? Something that is more affordable and not incredibly expensive, but also not some trash low quality thing either? If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I was interested in getting a really nice suit, something nice and fitted and classy looking. But I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars trying to get a Tom Ford(either from the site directly or second hand), or trying to spend that much getting one custom made. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice suit that is sort of a middle ground? Something that is more affordable and not incredibly expensive, but also not some trash low quality thing either? If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can recommend Suitsupply. They use good quality fabrics that they ship to China and have put together to keep costs a bit lower. I have a pure linen sport coat that is absolutely my favorite, a Super 110 that is less impressive but I just handled a different 110 that was very impressive - but I also have a wool/linen/silk two piece suit that is really really amazing. All jackets have surgeon cuffs and bemberg/cupro liners.

I got mine used on eBay (the suit was about 300, jackets around $70) but they are reasonable new (700-900, I believe).

Hope that helps.

Monte

Practically Family
I bought a new Spier and Mackay. It was a 44L off the peg and the sleeves actually fit my long arms. They have $300 Red Label suits which are just fine, or others that are ascending in price. The Neo cut looks a little more unique. Most are softer shoulders and not so padded, but many choices.

Monte

Practically Family
On the other hand, if u go with a made to measure place like suitsupply, get someone like your close friend to measure you as you follow their measuring steps on their website. Fit is everything as they say so don't try it alone.

Monte

Practically Family
I ultimately have found I don't wear suits that often. Sometimes a good sportcoat brand or two that u like might show up on ebay and you could save a ton of dough. My Harry Rosen.

Attachments

• 20230908_070638.jpg
    20230908_070638.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4328.jpg
    IMG_4328.jpg
    928.5 KB · Views: 55

WealthyWanderer

New in Town
Based on my preference…. I’m a true vintage suit guy. All my suits are authentic from the 30s to the 50s

They’re durably well made and they’re surprisingly comfortable to wear. However the only downside is the wool is very heavy and made for the fall/winter seasons.

depending on the suit itself, sometimes it can be expensive but it’s a good one time investment for many many wears to come.

What’s great about the suits is that often the detailing in the fabric is very rare. I get alot of bespoke tailors asking about the fabric all the time.

Monte

Practically Family
Based on my preference…. I’m a true vintage suit guy. All my suits are authentic from the 30s to the 50s

They’re durably well made and they’re surprisingly comfortable to wear. However the only downside is the wool is very heavy and made for the fall/winter seasons.

depending on the suit itself, sometimes it can be expensive but it’s a good one time investment for many many wears to come.

What’s great about the suits is that often the detailing in the fabric is very rare. I get alot of bespoke tailors asking about the fabric all the time.
Yes it is a great feeling to wear a quality garment with fabric and details you rarely come across. I BIN'd this Navy beauty not long ago. Just love it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_012341_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_012341_Chrome.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 65

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Thanks for the responses so far! I'm curious, how do the suits from both SuitSupply, and that Spier & Mackay fit? True to size, larger, or smaller fit? I see some sources claiming both sizes fit slim and not true to size, is this true?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thanks for the responses so far! I'm curious, how do the suits from both SuitSupply, and that Spier & Mackay fit? True to size, larger, or smaller fit? I see some sources claiming both sizes fit slim and not true to size, is this true?
Yeah I didn’t think of that, good question.

Suitsupply is made for the European market, which is generally more slim than the US market. I don’t know if you have different options for that if you order a new suit from their website since I got all mine used. I have about a five inch drop from chest to waist and I find the Suitsupply fit hugs me pretty much perfectly in all my jackets.

Monte

Practically Family
Yeah the Red Label is a slim hybrid I recall. The other offerings may give you a choice of slim or classic. The Neo cut suits are intriguing to me with wider lapels, open quarters in the front, and soft shoulders. Neo being Naples, Italy style I guess.

Edward

Bartender
If I can get back to having more disposable income, I'd like to try one of Cathcart's M2M options. For off the rack, I've been very impressed by what I've had from Revival Vintage UK. Authentic vintage cut in a nice fabric (I think my demob one is 50/50 wool poly, though I couldn't have told you it wasn't 100% wool from feel alone), hangs beautifully. Cost around the same as it would now be for something similar in a dreadful modern cut with a too-low waistband in the likes of M&S or Next in the UK.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice suit that is sort of a middle ground? Something that is more affordable and not incredibly expensive, but also not some trash low quality thing either? If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
Beware of 100% linen, within thirty minutes of wear, it will look like you have slept in it. Linen was an expensive mistake that I have made in the past.

What I have found is a mix of made to measure and vintage from traders. Buying from such traders I would always see before you buy. Something may have an appeal on the internet but when you get it home, you get my gist?

The tailor that I use here in the UK is one John Parrett of Fox Tailoring. https://www.foxtailoring.co.uk/ He has made blazers, suits and an overcoat for me, he isn't cheap but he is good value. Maybe you could find someone similar in your area.

As for vintage, I buy that from traders at festivals. That allows me to see what I am buying before parting with my money, over the years I have found some really good buys. One blazer was actually made by a tailor from the famous Savile Row in London. I probably paid a fraction of the original price.
Happy hunting and if you do find that special suit/coat/blazer, do share a photo with us.

runawaybb

New in Town
Beware of 100% linen, within thirty minutes of wear, it will look like you have slept in it. Linen was an expensive mistake that I have made in the past.

What I have found is a mix of made to measure and vintage from traders. Buying from such traders I would always see before you buy. Something may have an appeal on the internet but when you get it home, you get my gist?

The tailor that I use here in the UK is one John Parrett of Fox Tailoring. https://www.foxtailoring.co.uk/ He has made blazers, suits and an overcoat for me, he isn't cheap but he is good value. Maybe you could find someone similar in your area.

As for vintage, I buy that from traders at festivals. That allows me to see what I am buying before parting with my money, over the years I have found some really good buys. One blazer was actually made by a tailor from the famous Savile Row in London. I probably paid a fraction of the original price.
Happy hunting and if you do find that special suit/coat/blazer, do share a photo with us.
Yes, fox tailoring. they are amazing!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would push back strongly against the suggestion of Suit Supply.

And I think linen is being unfairly dismissed however it is likely irrelevant because one's only suit shouldn't be linen.

I'm not sure what you mean by "well fitted and classy looking". You mention Tom Ford; the brand's standard silhouette is based on 1970s British tailoring (think Nutter and the like) but its most famous examples are really poor fitting suits in the Bond films, so I'm not sure which fit you're after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld