Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique MilitaryTablecloth - Russian? Prussian? Help Identify Please!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have had this thing for a number of yeears. It's around 4 ft X 4 ft, linen and I think wool.
It is clearly martial, and looks to date from WWI. Can anyone help me identify it?

cloth1.jpg

cloth2.jpg

cloth3.jpg

cloth4.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I have had this thing for a number of yeears. It's around 4 ft X 4 ft, linen and I think wool.
It is clearly martial, and looks to date from WWI. Can anyone help me identify it?

cloth1.jpg

cloth2.jpg

cloth3.jpg

cloth4.jpg

I am not sure, you need to send it to me for closer inspection.

j/k.....

Does look of Slavic uniform design....but something in my gut says either way earlier then you think...or a 'nostalgia' type design.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have always suspected it was mid-to-late late 19th century Tsarist. But the guns that are pictured seem to be carbines.
I know you would like it. :)

It is very fragile.
If I can get it properly identified, it'll probably go to eBay.

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
To me it looks like the Russo-Japanese War 1904-1905. The foot solider looks like Japanesse infantry of the period. Not very Germanic. Most Russian WWI items I've seen have the Germans in pickalhaubes. The Calvary looks like a Cossack.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Teekay44 said:
To me it looks like the Russo-Japanese War 1904-1905. The foot solider looks like Japanesse infantry of the period. Not very Germanic. Most Russian WWI items I've seen have the Germans in pickalhaubes. The Calvary looks like a Cossack.

Oooh...well spotted...I didnt even look as much at the 'enemy' in the piece...I was fixated at symbols and the Russian uniforms and so forth.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've missed it in years of looking! They are obviously Asian, and the Cossack spears point at them.

So it seems Russian made, to commemorate the war. Mediating the war won the Nobel Peace Prize for Theodore Roosevelt.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
The lines of the rifles, as well as the slightly curved sword bayonets also match the Japanese equipment of the period.

I

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Collective Genius of the Loungers

I have gotta say it. Is this the most incredible forum with the most interesting people?:cool2: . And the missus wonders why I spend so long on the Lounge...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley