Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another reason why wearing a Fedora RULES!

Feraud

Bartender
ortega76 said:
I just got back from lunch with my boss, my store's district manager and the store manager of a neighboring store. Nothing really official, just an unofficial preparation for back-to-school. Nick, the neighboring store manager, commented that I looked like a gangster as I was wearing a brown stingy brimmed vintage Stetson, jeans, a brown Dickies style work shirt (short sleeved) and brown Chuck Taylors.

According to Nick (the neighboring store manager), I was overdressed and should have worn something like what Nick was wearing- boxer shorts that were exposed by low slung basketball shorts and then even slung baggy jeans. So he had three different patterns and layers on his legs! Of course, his pants were belted just south of his butt cheeks so he had to limp along while I laughed at this silly white kid from a small town trying to be "gangster".

The best part is that the DM made a comment about me looking put together and our waitress not only gave me several compliments on the lid but seemed inclined to ask about me socially until I flashed my wedding ring.
A good story. You should have commented to Nick the neighboring store manager that one can never be overdressed when it comes to business. You could also throw in he has no idea what a gangsta' or a respectable businessman looks like. ;) But do not lose your job over it! :D

ortega76

Practically Family
I find the organization I work for has problems outside the work uniform with what people wear. We attract a lot of young people into the hip-hop style but they have no idea how to dress for things unless specifically told "wear a tie" or "no jeans". It comes back to the idea that "modern" people will generally wear the most casual thing they can get away with instead of what's really appropriate.

Was I business casual? Not really, but it's my day off and it was an informal lunch. I was still dressed appropriately, I think, for lunch on the patio of a local bar/grill. I really didn't have to say anything because my boss gave him an earful on What Not To Wear!

funneman

Practically Family
distinguished

I was walking out of an office I visit once a week and stopped in to say hello to the lady that makes out the checks.

She says to me "I like the hat. You look a little like Maurice Gibb."
Which I get a lot. (Must be because they live down here. That is, except Maurice!)

At any rate, I of course said "thank you" and explained how the hat thing started out as a joke at work and how now I feel naked without a hat on.

She studied me carefully for a minute and said, "I really like it. You look very distinguised."

Stuff like that just really makes my day.

You never hear anyone say "Wow, I really like that baseball cap."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun