Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another REALLY OLD Topper

GWD

One Too Many
I've always thought, that anyone can wear a hat as long as he's confidant in wearing it. I don't think I could ever pull off one of those.

filfoster

One Too Many
proportion

Marc Chevalier said:
They look so much taller because they are so much taller. :)

Think Lincoln vs. Astaire.

I have a 7 1/2" tall one ( and a 5.5, 6 and 6.5 ones also) and it looks nowhere near as tall. Mine has a smaller brim, which accounts for some of the perception but these look dramatically different. I wondered if a smaller circumference might account for it.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
filfoster said:
Garrett: Not to pester you, but what hat size (circumference) are these? I am just trying to account for how they look so much taller than other toppers. They are beautiful.

The french topper is a perfect fit on me @ 21 3/4" circumference

The C.H. Garden Co topper is a 22" circumference and is missing its leather sweatband. It still fits though, just a tad more wiggle room.

filfoster

One Too Many
circumference

Marc Chevalier said:
What is the circumference of your own 7 1/2" tall top hat?

It's about 22 1/2 inches, about a 7 1/8- 71/4 size. The brim is about 2 1/2" with a slight pencil curl. I would post a pic of it but lack a digital camera. My older daughter will be home soon and has one and I will try to get her to set a picture up for me.
Anyway, the point is, it really does not convey the impression of height like Garrett's two hats, but is not far off the same general dimensions. Puzzling to me. Mine has a very slight 'bell' at the top and is silk plush covered, crown and brim.
It's not vintage but a well made reproduction of an early 1800's type by John McMicking, who supplies hats to Stan Boyle at www.historyinthemaking.org
I note the site does not advertise the silk plush so it may no longer be available. We know it's not being made any more but John had a supply of it and was able to make mine a few years ago.

Part of the mystery solved is that Garrett's have very thin ribbons; mine has a 1 1/2" ribbon.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
One more daguerreotype

Mid 1850's
4256620259_4d38c6ab19_o.jpg
4257392976_de13f158fa_o.jpg
4256633563_9593d6467b_o.jpg

Did you put the hat in the Thin Ribbon Thread?;)

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
I've always thought, that anyone can wear a hat as long as he's confidant in wearing it. I don't think I could ever pull off one of those.

If that hat was on my head I would definitely pull it off. ;)

lci419

Familiar Face
Having owned several of these and specializing in early 19th C. mens fashions, I can comfortably state that the original hat dates to the 1840's-1850's time period. Based on the posted information about Pinaud, it likely dates from 1848-1860. I state this because the "bell" portion of the crown which was popular in the 40's and 50's was giving way to a straight sided crown by 1860-61 timeframe, though a small bell or flare still continues to exist in some later hats. Also note the wider brim has no sharp pencil curl edge. Narrower brims with a sharp, distinctive pencil curl begin appearing in the latter 1860's. This is a particularly nice example and I have one almost identical to it and in similar condition...plus it fits me which is always a bonus. But I must say I am most struck by the example with the concentric circles on the brim...most unique.

I have also owned hats by both Mr. McMicking and Mr. Bender. While I do not wish to take away from their workmanship (which is excellent in most ways ) and understand fully what role they are trying to fullfill; the top hats they offer fall short of what originals of the era they are trying to duplicate looked like. I will offer the caveat that I have not seen any examples of Mr. McMickings work since about 1995 and he may have changed his methods and designs. That being said, the materials, crown shape, and brim shape manufactured by both these makers which I have owned and/or observed, do not conform to examples of the period. Keep in mind, I am only referencing their top hats from the Antebellum era, not their offerings in general.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's see photos of the vintage topper(s) you have from this period, please.

filfoster

One Too Many
McMicking topper

Ici419 writes
I have also owned hats by both Mr. McMicking and Mr. Bender. While I do not wish to take away from their workmanship (which is excellent in most ways ) and understand fully what role they are trying to fullfill; the top hats they offer fall short of what originals of the era they are trying to duplicate looked like. I will offer the caveat that I have not seen any examples of Mr. McMickings work since about 1995 and he may have changed his methods and designs. That being said, the materials, crown shape, and brim shape manufactured by both these makers which I have owned and/or observed, do not conform to examples of the period. Keep in mind, I am only referencing their top hats from the Antebellum era, not their offerings in general.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any of John's hats that attempt the time period of these, with flat brims, and very tall, 'waisted' crowns. The one I'm comparing is a more mid-19th century, oval. The more recent top hat John made compares well to the workmanship in later originals. I have a turn of the century Christy's, 6 1/2" tall and John's is heavier but the finish, with hatters silk plush, is as well done. My other one made by John, is an 1800-1820's type, fur felt, with the larger bell crown and upswept brim.

I don't have a top hat by Mr. Bender and his felt is stiff but very satisfactory for the 'replica' hats I described.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82