Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alter a Vanson Assoc White Label?

Trouser Bark

One of the Regulars
I have a few jackets and among them is an old White Label Vanson. It says "welcome to 1970" in a way that most older jackets can't. When I think of the jackets of that era several designs were over the top and something I couldn't wear with any regularity now. This one though is clearly a casual wear jacket w/ a CR cut but the thing that's all about the 70's is the color. The front of the jacket is super dark brown. Looks pretty much black until you really stare at it for a minute. The rear of the jacket is a much lighter brown and the lower panel at the back is close to black. The sleeves are similarly unusual.

The fit is awesome for me in the shoulders and the most comfortable of all my leather jackets. The shoulders fit like a 48, the waist fits as a 48 and the jacket is tagged a 46. What I want to do is send it in to Vanson for their wash and re-dye spa treatment (although I'm not sure it needs the re-dye as color isn't an issue. It smells like an old fart's closet (no, I didn't do that part) and I'd like to get rid of that but have three questions:

- The Vanson clean and re-soak... have you had that done and do you recommend it? Does it chase off the old closet stank? It's not strong but it's definitely there.

- The Vanson re-dye. Done it? Thoughts? Think it would hurt anything if it were done but not really needed?

- I'd like the waist to fit like a 46 but am a little concerned about altering a jacket that's survived 50 years in nearly perfect and not quite broken in condition. I'm not Vanson's own museum but as a guy that likes to honor history and enjoys old jackets I'm not sure that I should be chasing down the old stuff only to make it less authentic to the original build. A newer jacket I would alter without hesitation but a half century out... not sure.

I'll probably have it altered as the jacket is beautiful (to me) absent the issue of fitment. Still, I hesitate.

Your thoughts?

These old Vanson jackets aren't worth all this work and the price of having Vanson redye it is going to cost you more than the jacket did.
They're fun acquisition if there isn't any work involved but for the kind of project you intend of making this jacket, you're better off finding one that is a better fit for you. They are quite common and always cheap, too, especially the cafe racers.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I once owned a Vanson white label cr, it's probably the lowest quality jacket I've handled in the past five years. The leather was so spongy I'm not even sure it was actual leather, more like synthetic material with a topcoat. If this is your jacket then it's not worth anyone's time trying to improve the condition or fit.

IMG_6276.jpeg
IMG_6322.jpeg
IMG_6324.jpeg

Al 916

One Too Many
If it smells wash it (Bath or machine, there are plenty threads for either).
If it fits well and you enjoy wearing it do just that, enjoy it as it is (sans stink).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbkmusic