Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alphonse Capone's Hat

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I very respectfully disagree about the 52 or Columbia block, Ole. I own both 52 blocks and blocks marked Columbia. The Columbia blocks are the straightest sided and flattest topped blocks I have ever seen, even more so than the 52's. I have handled a good amount of 20's/30's European hats and for the most part, the block profiles were not flat on top, they were more rounded. I am not saying that there were no European hats made with 52 and Columbia blocks, but from my experience, the straighter sided and flatter topped block profiles were an American thing. Even out of all the 20's/30's American hats I have owned, many of them used rounded topped block profiles. They were tall, but more round.

<snip>

Knowledge like this from Josh and that from Tony--this is why I so love the lounge. The contributions of real researchers and craftsmen make this place really special. Thank you!

A

Edward

Bartender
Is this the same hat that Capone wore with the 'coffee-bean' bash that was much discussed here a couple of years ago? I've long been tempted to give that treatment to a black Federation. Not as a Capone repro, just as a bash I liked the look of that would be something different than my other hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82