Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha L-2A and B-15C "Vintage" series

fishmeok

Vendor
Since I have one of each I thought I'd do a quick write up. They are both size large and both have the same outershell, hardware , and cuffs (standard Alpha stuff, pretty good quality) I'm going to focus on the jackets themselves. I have never examined the genuine article so this is all from the "it looks about right" viewpoint. The reviewer is 6" 190 lbs with a 46 chest and 25/26 sleeve. It is very difficult to get accurate color shots, but the outdoor pictures are the closest to the true color of both jackets. I know many of you have more knowledge about nylon, please feel free to comment. My overall impression is that these are good jackets for the money (on e-bay, not new) but not as authentic as some of the other repros out there.

L-2A
This is an extremely lightweight jacket (more like a flannel shirt in weight), really no more than the nylon outershell and satin liner. The fit is comfortable and trim without being tight or binding. It looks the part as far as I can tell, with the unique pocket flaps, epaulets, and cut of the original. There is an inside pocket and cigarette pocket on the left sleeve. The construction is decent, with only a few loose threads and imperfections here and there, typical for a modern mass produced jacket. The zipper is a beefy #10 and works well, though all the hardware on both jackets have "Alpha" molded into them. It has the USAF insignia on the left sleeve and inside under the tag. The only problem I have with this jacket is the length- it is EXTREMELY short, measuring 21" along the zipper. This works with high-waisted pants like a pair of original WWII or Bill's Khakis, but looks odd with a pair of modern jeans. I am still mulling (been mulling for a couple of years now) this one over, have not decided if it is a keeper or not for that reason. I think this would be perfect on someone who is about 5'8" or so.

(includes cuffs)
Chest 26
Shoulders 20
zipper 21
back height 25
Sleeve 25

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

DSCN0821.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

B-15C

This jacket has a completely different fit- it's much bigger than the L-2a and is a little on the poofy side (at least to me). Very comfortable and warm however. The collar is good but I'm assuming it is synthetic. Inside pocket, nylon liner, and the same features and comments on construction as the L-2A. The collar has a closure strap. It is still pretty lightweight (lighter than my B-10, but just as warm). The length on this jacket is good but the generous cut will take a little getting used to- still I like it.

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can't thank you enough for this thread, the information and the terrific pictures! I've been searching for this kind of information and visuals. BTW, if you ever decide to part with that L-2A, well, I know someone who would love to help you out with that.;) Thanks again.

dean

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
great review and pics

thanks for the review, I am wanting to get a L2a or L2b but dont wanna pay silly prices for a Buzz Rickson so I am considering an Alpha. I am a bit afraid that it may be an oversized 80's cut but judging from the pics it looks ok. I found some on ebay, I am including it below, do you think it is the same jacket ????
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-L-2B-Vint...r?hash=item5398617691&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

fishmeok

Vendor
That's the same- as long as the label says vintage or replica you are good (the replica line is the better of the two) but it is going to be SMALL- I originally had a medium and it was more like a size 40, I'll bet the small is a 36-38.
Cheers
Mark

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
I could not get an answer from the ebayer, just received an email that they cant take measurements etc etc so I have no idea what chest the small will fit.
If large is 26 inches, then small would be around 20 ???? Well I dont know but I will have to wait longer till one turns up on ebay.....paying 200 gbp for a BR seems a bit too much for what is a cool but "flimsy" jacket...nuff said:)

Peacoat

Bartender
That's the way the jackets were made back then. Both of my issue flight jackets are short. The 1967 L2-B is 20" at the Conmar zipper (a large), and the M1-A is 21" at the Scovil zip--also a large.

When I wore them in the 60s, they didn't seem too short, but they certainly feel that way now. Maybe I have grown a little taller? Another consideration is we always wore them with flight suits, which have no well defined waist or pockets the jacket should hide. I don't remember wearing the jacket with anything other than a flight suit, so that is probably why they didn't seem short back then.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I will post a couple of pics.

Edward

Bartender
Just dug this thread up again.... I could have sworn it was longer.... Anyhow, a couple of years ago I bought a Replica Series B15-C on eBay from a seller going by the tag "Belotte". Very helpful and easy to deal with. Very pleased with it. I've been keeping an eye out ever since for an L2-A in the same run. Missed out on a couple of Buzz Rickson ones that went for more than a used Eastman A2 (!) (course, new they're over four hundred GBP now.... actually more than the B15 equivalent, which is counter intuitive to me, but there you go..). Belotte now has a few of what appear to be Vintage Series in XL. I believe them to be vintage series as they have the Alpha tag on the cigarette pocket, which was not present on the Replica series. Also have the USAF logo. I know they're not considered the best repros, but given the only other game in town here are rare and expensive originals or silly-expensive Buzz repros, still worth checking out. Of course I'll still be keeping my eye out for an original Replica Series version and/or a used Buzz, but......

FWIW, I also last year hit a good deal on a mint used Buzz B15C Mod jacket. When the L2-A arrives, I'll try and post some photos of all three for comparison.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370573057...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1507wt_1185

As I understand it, links to fixed price eBay sales are permitted - Mos, please remove if I've gotten that wrong.

Edward

Bartender
My L-2A arrived this week - photos soon. Unfortunately the "vintage blue" is a shade or two lighter than the "Air Force Blue" (deep navy) colour I was expecting, so it is lacking in accuracy that way. I'll probably end up keeping it, but I'm still on the look out for a dark one. Buzz are the only folks I see selling them today. Crazy money, though - Eastman have them at GBP450 (for comparison, this is the same price as an Aero Real Deal A2). I don't have that lying around at the minute, but eve if I did I couldn't justify it on what is, in the last instance, a nylon windbreaker. I might end up buying an original for half that (perusing eBay, I notice originals on't for whatever reason seem to command the high prices that B-15Cs do, despite presumably being just as rare).

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
I recently joined the Alpha Vintage L2a/b club and for what it is, I'm pretty happy. It's a Jack of all trades and a master of none but still a nice jacket. I've been searching for a Buzz L-2A in their more authentic and darker Navy for a while, but at the price they are and with a bit of upheaval at work currently, I can't justify it right now.

Looking to also get a real L2B, early 60s era, preferably with many of the same details as this, although I'd been ok with a green outer and an orange liner?

My general period of interest is maybe slightly later than many on here- I love the look of the NASA Astronauts and a bit of Ivy League style? But I also appreciate an A2 or a G1 as well and I really like the Korean War Aviator look with its wide range of styles.

bn1966

Yep good quality for the Buck that Alpha 'Vintage' series L2 Type IMHO! Took me ages to find one.

Sold mine following the purchase of a Dark Blue Buzz L-2A & service issue Alpha L-2B 'Ground -Pounder' (sage lining too).

The Buzz was a lovely 'used' purchase & the original Alpha L-2B has more than justified it's purchase price.

Right behind you with the Korean War aviator look..have original period nylon from those times & repro leather head-wear.

ProteinNerd

I've been tempted to pick up an L-2A from Alpha so appreciate the info.

Unfortunately they are "in" this season here in Australia and I swear every second guy on the street is wearing a cheap Top Man or Zara knock-off.....I think I'll wait till they aren't so trendy ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've got loads of use out of my Alpha L2-B during this summer. Without the furry collar, the light nylon shell is ideal as a showerproof windcheater.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I remember when the replica and vintage series came out, i saw them in a shop in London, the replicas where vey good they came in actual sizes like 40 42 etc.
The blue was darker like an original b-15, the vintage series where a light blue, the greens where the same the replicas being darker.
The replicas sizing where small, medium, large etc so the fits where more catchall and not as good.
The replicas series where very well done and are really hard to find and sought after now, the vintage series was the budget version.
Both types where available as B-15, L-2A and MA1.
The colour variations where the same on all versions the replicas being darker like the originals, the vintage being lighter.

Last edited:

bn1966

I remember when the replica and vintage series came out, i saw them in a shop in London, the replicas where vey good they came in actual sizes like 40 42 etc.
The blue was darker like an original b-15, the vintage series where a light blue, the greens where the same the replicas being darker.
The replicas sizing where small, medium, large etc so the fits where more catchall and not as good.
The replicas series where very well done and are really hard to find and sought after now, the vintage series was the budget version.
Both types where available as B-15, L-2A and MA1.
The colour variations where the same on all versions the replicas being darker like the originals, the vintage being lighter.

I only have one jacket left from the 'Vintage' series, a sage B15, I have owned the L-2A & MA1 models in the past. Can't say I was very impressed with the lighter than original Blue & the quality for me made them useful 'beaters'.

The Replica series IMHO are cracking quality but somewhat oversized...I got my paws on a mint B-15 in 44 that was huge on me (and I've got a 46'' chest). On the look out for a 42 :) My experience with the sizing has been the same for others too & mentioned over in the VLJ Forum.

There is another 'replica' type Alpha series that uses S,M,L etc sizing but again, very good quality textiles. These are identified by a red and gold tag on the cigarette pocket. I've owned a few but have only kept a sage MA1..these too are a bit oversized IMO. A bit of recent weight loss has taken me from an XL to watching out for a L to come up at the right price. Saw one on eBay last month but the vendor wanted well over what I think they are worth & have sold them for personally.

bn1966

The Large size 'Replica' MA-1 I wanted was 'used' and north of £70.00 was being asked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael